Mighty Metolius

O
OnTheDrop
First off, want to say props to Steelhead_Slayer for giving me some tips and showing me some new water today. Well, Ive heard and read about a million articles about the world class fishery for trophy Bull trout they have and knew I had to make it there soon. As I've recently moved to Bend a few months ago from the Northwest ( Clackamas river WAS my backyard ) Ive been trying to fill this void for steelhead with trophy trout. Which in my mind are more of a prize and much harder to come by. I know it's not easy from the reports that Ive read on the M even with the most experience anglers. But, I LOVE a challenge. To start off the day I met SS around 7 and we proceeded for the river. Exchanging fishing stories and drinking our morning coffee always calls for a nice drive. We showed up to an empty river with beautiful overcast skys with a slight breeze that soon dissapeared. We eagerly tied on our streamers and collected our gear and walked down to our first spot. We both waded out and started fishing immediately. Two or three swings later one picks mine up but with an almost absent hook set he was free. ( Wasn't expecting that ) SS gets his 8" streamer out there nicely I believe on his second cast and BAM! FISH ON! :cool: Was thrashing around similar to a steelhead and was really bending his 8wt. ( Thinking if I get one on my 5/6 Im in for a FIGHHTT ) After a nice battle with a little video footage and some really cool underwater shots he landed him. The fly was completely engulfed except for about an inch hanging out. The mouth on him was HUGE. Was probably around 7-8 pounds. Another quick picture and back off to the river she went. WOW, 5 minutes in and we've had 2 hits and hadn't even started our day yet. After all I've read I'm thinking this is just tooo good to be true. No more than 2 minutes later SS's line was swung out and I think I was showing him the video of his previous fish when another one decides to grab his fly again. Was off before a hookset was implied. Couple more swings and we decide to walk upriver with atleast a dozen more holes to hit. We hit the next one and SS was telling me where to throw it and when to retrieve it ( side of some log structure along a nice pool that was fairly deep where he usually gets one ) . I swung it out there and on the strip back when I wasn't expecting it again one grabbed it and took off. My hookset was almost absent again and the fish long gone. That was it for that hole. The water looked better and better as we walked with plenty of cover for these fish to ambush prey. Making cast after cast and rip after rip we couldn't get another one to bite. We hit all the holes again including our first spot on the way back with no success. We try some more water on a different part of the river for the next two hours and fish 20+ holes where we knew some fish were with not another take. . Now thats the Metolius that I've read about. I knew it was too good to be true to keep the day going like in the beginning. But that was alright, SS with the only landed of the day and some more action was more than enough for my first trip. You can guarantee I'll be spending some time on this river from now on. P1000376(1).jpgP1000374.jpg

O
OnTheDrop
Will post the video of the underwater and a few more photos soon. Also, sorry for the long post guys.

S
spmpdr
Man!!! I was so close to driving out there today but the weather was showing high wind conditions.

S
steelhead_slayer
Nice to meet you steelmonkiller. I look forward to seeing the upcoming pics of your bulls.

F
FlyBum
Well done guys! :clap: :clap:

B
bigsteel
excellent job guys!!!!!!!

J
jabs67
Great job!!!!!!

R
rippin fish lips
Bull trout on the fly!! Well done!! I love the way they fight!! My goal is to get one to jump someday!! haha. Epic report and it wasn't that long :)

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
steelhead_slayer
yeah i guess the river is getting a lot of publicity, and it showed by how many people have been on the river.

R
rippin fish lips
Sinkline said:
Good report, thanks for posting!

Wouldn't be surprised to see more folks on the river as that Flyfishing the World TV program re-aired several times last week. The new host of the program is there catching nothing but Bulls the entire program.

Randy

And what channel is this program on? I would love to set it to record every episode.

S
steelhead_slayer
made it out there today. had one fish hammer my fly, but it came of pretty quick. a lot of people out there again, and you can tell its affecting the fishing

F
FlyBum
steelhead_slayer said:
made it out there today. had one fish hammer my fly, but it came of pretty quick. a lot of people out there again, and you can tell its affecting the fishing

Ya, it's getting a pounding. Like a ..... in a ....... LOL :)

O
OnTheDrop
Yeah, i spotted several big bulls yesterday that I watched for a while.. They WERE eating every few minutes just nothing I could get them interested in. ( Streamers, Ice cream cones, midge patterns,bwos,hares ear ) Even saw two jump for flys that were right in front of me. Pretty ******* coool.I watched one under a log for quite some time and even got my camera in the water enough to see him laying in there. I'll have to make some pictures of it and post 'em.

F
FlyBum
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Yeah, i spotted several big bulls yesterday that I watched for a while.. They WERE eating every few minutes just nothing I could get them interested in. ( Streamers, Ice cream cones, midge patterns,bwos,hares ear ) Even saw two jump for flys that were right in front of me. Pretty ******* coool.I watched one under a log for quite some time and even got my camera in the water enough to see him laying in there. I'll have to make some pictures of it and post 'em.

Welcome to fishing on the Metolius :)

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
FlyBum said:
Welcome to fishing on the Metolius :)

I'm diggin' it. If it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be near as fun. Definently going to be spending my time there on weekdays rather than weekends. Can't wait to land that first bull. I'm feeling my next outting ( Monday or Tuesday ) is going to be the day. . I hope...

F
FlyBum
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I'm diggin' it. If it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be near as fun. Definently going to be spending my time there on weekdays rather than weekends. Can't wait to land that first bull. I'm feeling my next outting ( Monday or Tuesday ) is going to be the day. . I hope...

Sweet, I hope you get some!! ;)