So, did you all hear me scream at 1:30 p.m. today?

C
ChezJfrey
Yet another lesson in frustration tolerance... :)

Hit the Wilson today and after several hours of cast, hike, cast, I feel a slight hangup...give a sharp tug and yep...it's hung on a branch or log. Take a couple steps and tug again trying to dislodge the thing. Only something odd...my rod starts pumping a bit? I lean downstream with it...holy, moly! It's not snagged, it's a fish and it hasn't even budged. I again try steering it around and this time it starts moving downstream. I reel in the slack and as soon as I do so, it changes direction and starts heading upstream, leaps out of the water and flops on its side. I notice that this seems bigger than my first one a couple weeks ago.

I start scrambling around for some better footing, as I'm on a sloping bank of rocks and stability is slight; I'm looking around for a better vantage. The fish, of course, is cruising around, taking line and looking to make things difficult. The most difficult thing it came up with was to start heading downstream. I'm stumbling over slanted and rocky terrain trying to survey any problem areas, but there isn't really much for me to worry about as I've got plenty of bank access down the river, but it's just a real pain to cover.

The fish is peeling line and I'm just trying to stay upright as I follow down. I finally get to more level ground and the fish about faces and heads back up, I reel in any slack as fast as I can, then watch as more line plays out from the reel. Then once again, about face and back down...reel fast, then watch line go. This scene plays out a couple more times...up and down the stream. I'm eventually 50-75 yards down from where I started, but then the fish just hunkers down somewhere near the middle and stops.

I try prying it loose...this way and that and it takes a minute or two to get the fish moving again. Now its runs are a bit shorter. I try backing up along the shore, with steady pressure and when I'm about 25 feet from the water's edge, the fish nears the bank and I get a better look; it's probably got 5 more inches on it than my first steelhead and I've definitely noticed it's got more power.

It takes another run out toward the middle, but it only gets about 10 feet. I'm able to reel him back fairly quickly; he's getting tired. I'm pretty excited as this buck is a bit more worthy of our February contest! He tries again for the current out in the middle and I figure I may as well get to the water this time as he seems to be tiring out. I take a few steps, keeping tension, then <snap>, there goes my leader.

I watch helplessly as he swims of to the depths, my scream of, "Noooooooooo!" heard all the way to Portland, I'm sure ;)

What does that make me so far this year? 1 for 3, I think.

One thing I'll share about my more frequent 'near' successes...a neighbor of mine mentioned awhile back that I've probably been getting some steelhead hits and just don't realize it. With this revelation, I've been setting the hook at the slightest of bumps while fishing a spinner/spoon, that I usually presume are rocks, and I've hooked, what 3 or 4 since then? I suppose I thought that was more of a drift fishing practice, but every time on a spinner, I've only gotten the slightest of nudges when I hooked the fish...that was a good lesson, neighbor Brian, thanks!

Reactions: Santiam338
S
Santiam338
Big ones make a habit of getting away...Seen it lots of times..

Its not dark yet..What you doing home?? There is another one in the river somewhere...LOL

C
ChezJfrey
Santiam338 said:
Big ones make a habit of getting away...Seen it lots of times..

Its not dark yet..What you doing home?? There is another one in the river somewhere...LOL

LOL, I gave it another hour...figured there might even be another around the same spot, so hit that again, too. But, after awhile, it kinda lost its luster as there's only so much frustration a guy can handle in one day :)

S
Santiam338
At least I will still have a chance to win tomorrow...If you had caught that fish It would have ruined my evening..;)

C
ChezJfrey
Santiam338 said:
At least I will still have a chance to win tomorrow...If you had caught that fish It would have ruined my evening..;)

If you catch one with a Buds #5 lodged in the lip, may I have my lure back? ;)

troutdude
troutdude
Excellent write up. Made me feel like I was there.

Sorry that you fought the buck...and the buck won.

H
halibuthitman
he he he he...... its what its all about-

B
billfisher
LOL! Its happened to all of us way too many times. I feel for ya!

Great write up, felt like I was with you.

C
ChezJfrey
Hmmm, I woke up in a cold sweat last night after a bad dream where I lost out on a golden opportunity of landing a 2nd steelhead. So instead of this scene plaguing me, maybe it was all just a bad dream...right? LOL ;)

What a curse this is...now all I can think about is somehow carving out some more time to go back and rectify this mistake :)

A
alm21
ChezJfrey said:
What a curse this is...now all I can think about is somehow carving out some more time to go back and rectify this mistake :)

Haha, we're all cursed and that's only the half of it. Had you caught it, you'd be cursed in thinking how you could carve out some time to go back and REPEAT the experience! Don't fight it, just give in to it.

F
fishsauce
Chez, I just had to comment on this. I gotta say, it made me laugh. Not at you, but laughing because I can relate. I think all accomplished steelheaders go through this same thing. Everyone goes through this at first, it's kinda like a hazing period for beginners.

Those subtle bites and coming out on the losing end of a battle; adversity will only make you get better. Seems you realized that you may have missed some bites, this assures you that you've been presenting your offer correctly. Losing fish will only make you appreciate, respect the next one and will also help you learn to play the fish better.

Sounds like you're on the right track. It only gets easier from here on out. PM and we'll fish the the Wilson sometime.
Tommy

G
GDBrown
I'm getting ready to head over the hill in the next few minutes, if i knew where you had been I'd be glad to return the lure for you! :lol:

My luck and skill are none-existant this year so I go mostly for the solitude of an empty river. I'll let you know what happens for me today. So far I'm zero fish for 14 trips to the river! 1000 cast my @$$!

GD

B
Boombollie
GDBrown said:
My luck and skill are none-existant this year so I go mostly for the solitude of an empty river. I'll let you know what happens for me today. So far I'm zero fish for 14 trips to the river! 1000 cast my @$$!

Sounds like my experience with 'Slaw this year! Oh well, better get those trips in now before gas goes up again......

G
GDBrown
Make that zero for 15 trips.....

I got to meet Officer King while on the river yesterday and he was a nice guy. We talked for a while and shared stories of poachers and he gave me his card in case I see more. He didn't have any tips on how to catch steelhead though.

C
cddunn
GDBrown said:

I got to meet Officer King while on the river yesterday and he was a nice guy. We talked for a while and shared stories of poachers and he gave me his card in case I see more. He didn't have any tips on how to catch steelhead though.

I got to meet one a few months ago, very shortly after releasing a foul hooked Salmon. He had binoculars hanging around his neck.

L
lilsalmon
GDBrown said:

Gene, you will do it...I have all confidences in you. Did you say @$$? hehe

G
GDBrown
lilsalmon said:
Gene, you will do it...I have all confidences in you. Did you say @$$? hehe

Yup! :lol:

K
Kevinb5688
Good report. I learned with a lure to use 15-17 lb test. Say what u want but i caught 4 fish the other day and the heavy line helped on two of them. The headed down stream twards a bush and fast rapids so i locked my drag up and yanked them back up river. I did the same thing in january with a 17 lb fish.. That blue label sure is strong. :)