AB will be stocked this thursday

G
grampa ron
II was there fly fishing on Wendsday C&R 25. I went back Thursday and C&R a dozen or so. I went today and managed to C&R 6. It was pretty tuff fly fishing weather today. Will probly be there Saturday morning at least.

troutdude
troutdude
Hey Grampa,

LilSalmon and BigSteel both want to fly fish tomorrow, while I plunk bait and use rod #2 for spinners and wobblers.

What types of flies work best, so I can let them know what to bring?

L
lilsalmon
hehe...got my 2 rod piece of 17.00 paper today....I am bringing 3 with me....two to plunk and one flyrod for when I get bored plunking.....I also bring the flyrod so's I can entertain the fisherpeople on the bank....:lol: :lol: :lol:

troutdude
troutdude
I'm looking forward to the entertainment!

Are there any ventriloquist's in the crowd? :lol::lol:

N
natro
Well went out today and lost 3, but caught a carp. Wasn't expecting that LOL. I didn't know those were in AB. Got to meet troutdude and lilsalmon. Don't think I'll head out there tomorrow.

troutdude
troutdude
Despite the cold and rainy weather, we had fun at AB Canal / Pond today. We enjoyed watching you bring in that carp Natro. It was so big, that I first thought it was a steelie!

I caught and released four or five, and LilSalmon got one. She brought it in with my 5' Ultralight hollow glass Lamiglas rod.

And, Natro and I caught the same fish at the same time...what a hoot! OK, technically the fish gobbled my bait and ran across Natro's line. And thanks to Nate for being a gentleman, who untangled the mess and let me reel my fish in.

It wasn't real fast n' furious "non stop" fishing; but it was still fun.

Nice fishing with Lil, and meeting you Nate!

troutdude
troutdude
And, one of my Power Eggs / Power Bait theories held true today. The fish would NOT hit green, lemon / lime, orange, red, or white power eggs at Alton Baker Canal today. They only hit PINK!

So again, I recommend to all...that you always carry multiple colors in your fishing arsenal.

If we would not have had PINK Power Eggs today, we would have gotten skunked!

N
natro
Haha, that's right. I forgot to mention that fish we caught at the same time. I thought that carp was a steelie too at first when I first had it on. Suprised the heck out of me. I thought I was snagged up at first, but then it started taking line! It was nice meeting you guys too.

L
lilsalmon
That was a hoot watching your lines across the whole pond with the fish in the middle.....and the carp...wow...It was great meeting you natro. We did have a fun day....I only got the one..was going to have to do my here fishy fishy trout dance but I thought I would spare all in sight and especially troutdude as he had to ride back to JC with me...hehe...instead I opted for this.......kind of like crossing my fingers.....I really need to get out more....:lol: :lol: :lol::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

troutdude
troutdude
LOL! That's what I call "covering as much water as possible!" And, it's also a nice adaptation of the new 2-rod license approach. :lol::lol:

Glad everyone had fun.

T
TTFishon
natro said:
Well went out today and lost 3, but caught a carp. Wasn't expecting that LOL. I didn't know those were in AB. Got to meet troutdude and lilsalmon. Don't think I'll head out there tomorrow.

There's bass in there too.

T
TTFishon
lilsalmon said:
That was a hoot watching your lines across the whole pond with the fish in the middle.....and the carp...wow...It was great meeting you natro. We did have a fun day....I only got the one..was going to have to do my here fishy fishy trout dance but I thought I would spare all in sight and especially troutdude as he had to ride back to JC with me...hehe...instead I opted for this.......kind of like crossing my fingers.....I really need to get out more....:lol: :lol: :lol::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So was that you out on the island? I fished the big pond in the very back for about a half hour and caught one on a thomas.

L
lilsalmon
TTFishon said:
So was that you out on the island? I fished the big pond in the very back for about a half hour and caught one on a thomas.

That was me and troutdude....big pond in the back....I'm not familiar with the area but dang...we were talking about the thomas yesterday with natro.....I found one at the rest area one time and lost it there a couple weeks later.....I want to go to the canal again...there is so much area to fish....didn't try the fly rod...was a bit windy for that. Too bad we didn't say hey.....I hope you didn't witness my casts with TD's rod that we put my reel on....was quite entertaining...course I blamed it on the new reel and unfamiliar setup....if you can't have fun..no sense going out...:lol:

T
TTFishon
lilsalmon said:
That was me and troutdude....big pond in the back....I'm not familiar with the area but dang...we were talking about the thomas yesterday with natro.....I found one at the rest area one time and lost it there a couple weeks later.....I want to go to the canal again...there is so much area to fish....didn't try the fly rod...was a bit windy for that. Too bad we didn't say hey.....I hope you didn't witness my casts with TD's rod that we put my reel on....was quite entertaining...course I blamed it on the new reel and unfamiliar setup....if you can't have fun..no sense going out...:lol:

I would've stopped to say hi but it was raining pretty hard and I was already soaked and wussed out and didn't want to get back in the rain. Here's a google link to where I fished. The pond where I was is in the lower right. You guys were at the top left. I like the other pond because there's less people, I was the only one there, and there aren't a bunch of ducks and geese leaving their droppings everywhere. Anyway, here's the link.
Google Maps

N
natro
That pond in the lower right that you were fishing in TTFishon, is the radio tower pond that I caught my brooder in a while back.

L
lilsalmon
TTFishon said:
I would've stopped to say hi but it was raining pretty hard and I was already soaked and wussed out and didn't want to get back in the rain. Here's a google link to where I fished. The pond where I was is in the lower right. You guys were at the top left. I like the other pond because there's less people, I was the only one there, and there aren't a bunch of ducks and geese leaving their droppings everywhere. Anyway, here's the link.
Google Maps

That must have been the one downpour we had. The island was like a mine field with all the droppings. TD showed me the radio tower pond as we were leaving. Think I will try that one next.

troutdude
troutdude
Sorry that we missed you TT!

When I first fished anywhere at ABC (in February), it was the radio tower pond. I fished on the point, on the stadium side, of the inlet. I was there for two hours, and the area had been stocked only 2 days before.

I saw fish swirling on the surface and some jumping. So, they were there. So, for two hours I tried Power Eggs, Bubble and Flies, Pautkze's salmon eggs, Kastmaster, Rooster Tails, Bang Tails, etc etc. Nothing!

So, I then went to the I-5 spillway and drifted Power Eggs. Caught 4! From there I went to the "outflow" pond, with all of the bird poop. Caught 5 there!

Did I just have a weird experience, when I first fished the radio tower pond?

T
TTFishon
lilsalmon said:
That must have been the one downpour we had. The island was like a mine field with all the droppings. TD showed me the radio tower pond as we were leaving. Think I will try that one next.

Yeah, as soon as it started raining that was my queue to get back to the car. Sometimes I'm a fair weather fisherman. Especially when I'm catching pellet heads. The channel leading to the radio tower pond is where I've had most of my success but I didn't have any luck there that day.

T
TTFishon
troutdude said:
Sorry that we missed you TT!

When I first fished anywhere at ABC (in February), it was the radio tower pond. I fished on the point, on the stadium side, of the inlet. I was there for two hours, and the area had been stocked only 2 days before.

I saw fish swirling on the surface and some jumping. So, they were there. So, for two hours I tried Power Eggs, Bubble and Flies, Pautkze's salmon eggs, Kastmaster, Rooster Tails, Bang Tails, etc etc. Nothing!

So, I then went to the I-5 spillway and drifted Power Eggs. Caught 4! From there I went to the "outflow" pond, with all of the bird poop. Caught 5 there!

Did I just have a weird experience, when I first fished the radio tower pond?

Hey, no problem. It's my dumb a$$ that didn't stop and say hi. I don't know if you had a wierd experience or not at the radio tower pond because that was only the second time I've fished it and the first time was more than 20 years ago. I normally don't fish hatchery ponds but my wife wanted to go for a long walk so I suggested going to AB so she could walk while I fished. It's not that I don't like fishing for pellet heads it's that I don't like all the people.

troutdude
troutdude
Sometimes it's not too crowded. I was all alone that day at the radio tower pond...except for joggers and walkers and co-eds...hee hee.

I wonder what the trick is, to catching them in that big pond? They were definitely in there and teasing me that day; by rolling and jumping.

Hey Natro and NWKiller (and other local peeps)...you guys got any secret tips that you're wiling to share???