A question of preference

Q
qwapaw
While bobber fishing, which do you think catches more fish. Sand Shrimp, or Eggs ? I really like sand shrimp, but I know eggs catch fish too. Is there a difference as to Coho or Chinook ? Thanks, Dan

B
Big3d
Not very scientific, but I have caught Chinook on eggs but never on sandshrimp, that doesn't say much as my lifetime salmon total is barely double digits.

E
eugene1
I think it depends where you fish. Sand shrimp or eggs are good in tidewater (combined is good too), but upriver eggs seem better for salmon.

Good luck,

troutdude
troutdude
Yep; some peeps use both. Too bad you can't toss two lines in--side by side--and see what works best.

T
troutmasta
Eggs.

Sandshrimp are like some bomb garlic mashed potatoes. You dont need them. But, if I've could have a steak with them as opposed to with out, I'm having both.
Sometimes, not often, I just want some mashed potatoes. But most of the time its with a steak.

It does, of course, depend on many other factors such as angling pressure, weather, diet, location, etc....

S
SmallStreams
troutdude said:
Yep; some peeps use both. Too bad you can't toss two lines in--side by side--and see what works best.

Go fishing with a buddy and you've instantly got two lines...

T
TimberTodd
Growing up in Coos Bay and bobber fishing the upper tidewater of the Coos, it varied. Some days it was an egg show, another it was strictly shrimp. The majority were caught on eggs though.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
if the eggs are getting nibbled OFF by small fish as fast as you can replace them, does going to an egg/sandshrimp coctail help? or use some spawn sack around the eggs? or just keep replacing the eggs often and keep fishing?

T
TimberTodd
Small fish will nibble the heck out of shrimp also, so I don't think the cocktail would really help. I have never used the spawn sack method, just kept re-baiting.

T
taconight2night
Down south on the Chetco I'd choose sand shrimp over eggs as my first choice any day.

B
BaldTexan
I always take both. Switch it up until you find what they'll bite...usually if you find biters, they seem to bite either/both. I usually start with sand shrimp and hope :)

Q
qwapaw
Great info guys, nothing better than hearing it from the masters themselves. How do you guys make the shrimp egg cocktail. That has me intrigued a bit. I would like to try it. Oh by the way, I would say my boat is 75% sand shrimp! but I thought that could just be luck. Thank, and remember, the Tug is the Drug. Dan

B
BaldTexan
People do it different ways. Sometimes a big ol' glob of eggs with a whole sand shrimp on top, sometimes a small amount of eggs with just a bit of sand shrimp tail covering the barb, sometimes the above with a small piece of tuna belly....then you have scents! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
SailCat
I've always fished early season coastal tidewater fall Chinook with shrimp, a "sandwich" mid-season and the Giant Glob o' Eggs later. Have I caught a lot of Chinook this way? Not really, but I've landed a few.

In a similar vein, the best bobber 'n' bait guy I know catches numbers of fall fish that make me hang my fishing hat-covered head in shameful embarrassment. He uses only eggs (his own) on a 7/0 hook exclusively. So, what do I know?

T
taconight2night
Lets not forget tuna balls! On the Trask, oily tuna wrapped in red mesh is killer under a bobber. Especially when you top it with sand shrimp AND eggs. It's a gnarly sight but the salmon can't resist!