Yamhill - trout

C
cpeaslee
I'm interested in fly fishing the South Yamhill River for some trout soon. Suggestions on patterns, public access points (bank fishing), other helpful tips?

Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
I'll send Brandon 4455 a PM, via Facebook. I think that, he knows that river system...and can give you some good tips.

brandon4455
brandon4455
The main river itself doesn't have too much for trout,besides rainbows stocked by odfw. There are also cutthroat,and you may run into juvenile coho and steelhead.

I'd fish between willamina and grande ronde. Most small attractor nymphs work along with your elk hair caddis and simulators. Like most mid valley Willy tribs it doesn't fish well in the summer,but the tribs to the yamhill do. If your like more info shoot me a pm I'd be glad to help.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Important note about yamill steelies

Important note about yamill steelies

Thanks for jumping in Brandon. And to add that, it is one of the very first Willy Valley streams to clear out in the spring. So it can make for, some excellant trout fishing.

Also a word to the wise: according to "Fishing in Oregon" (11th Edition, 2015)...steelhead "are listed as theatened under the Endangered Species Act, and all fishing for them is prohibited."

troutdude
troutdude
Also...a rainbow trout, over 20 inches, is considered by law as a steelhead. EVERY such fish, must be kept in the water and safely/carefully released.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutdude said:
Also...a rainbow trout, over 20 inches, is considered by law as a steelhead. EVERY such fish, must be kept in the water and safely/carefully released.

just a few more details worth sharing- the above applies in streams in the Willamette, Central, and NE zones. In the NW and SW zones, all rainbows over 16" in streams are considered steelhead. In all these cases, once a rainbow is determined to legally be a steelhead, then the rules for steelhead for that exact location would apply: in almost all locations, wild steelhead must be released as carefully as possible; in locations open to harvest of hatchery steelhead, then a fin clipped fish could be tagged and retained. cheers, roger

C
cpeaslee
Well, whatever I catch, it's going back in the river.

troutdude
troutdude
rogerdodger said:
just a few more details worth sharing- the above applies in streams in the Willamette, Central, and NE zones. In the NW and SW zones, all rainbows over 16" in streams are considered steelhead. In all these cases, once a rainbow is determined to legally be a steelhead, then the rules for steelhead for that exact location would apply: in almost all locations, wild steelhead must be released as carefully as possible; in locations open to harvest of hatchery steelhead, then a fin clipped fish could be tagged and retained. cheers, roger

Good lookin' out Roger. Thank you.