World record nook pic

troutdude
troutdude
My dad's aunt sent this pic to us last week, from Alaska. According to the caption, this Chinook was caught in 1985--and this record still stands.

The OFFicial weight was 97.5 pounds. But, the fisherman didn't weigh it; for 7 hours after catching it. So, it may have weighed over 100 lbs!

Does anyone else have pics, of world record fish?

World record salmon.jpg

T
tomriker
would one that big even taste good? think of all that smoked salmon... mmm

T
TimberTodd
Thats a beast for sure.

B
bran_man
tomriker said:

If it was caught while it was fresh before preparing to spawn I would imagine it would be just fine. Those filets would be ridiculous! lol

W
Willieman
Les Anderson owns the Ford dealership in Soldatna on the Kenai. The fish is mounted there.

Kenai chinook turn red early like Tillamook fish. They taste like fall chinook.

A guy named Pat Plautz from Hillsboro caught the second biggest in the mid90s that weighed over 96 pounds.

Sadly few of the monsters are left. In fact most of the Kenai run of kings are gone.

J
JeannaJigs
tomriker said:

Probably tasted like crap LOL. But you can it and season the hell out of it, and you might get lucky. I had some steaks from a 65 pound kenai fish a friend caught and it was the worst tasting fish I've ever had lol.

F
Finneus Polebender
Used to be one in an old pizza parlour in Astoria Ore years ago of an old fisherman with a nook slung over his back walkin down the sidewalk tail dragging the ground with a tag on it that said 101, looked like an old 1800s pic.

T
TTFishon
Finneus Polebender said:
Used to be one in an old pizza parlour in Astoria Ore years ago of an old fisherman with a nook slung over his back walkin down the sidewalk tail dragging the ground with a tag on it that said 101, looked like an old 1800s pic.

Ahh, the good ole days when the fish were big. In another 100 years they'll be looking at pics of today's 40lb fish in awe because a 20lb fish will be huge to them. lol