Willamette bass movements

bass
bass
Hey all,

I am going to spend at least part of the day tomorrow fishing the Willamette for bass. Last year I only fished for bass in the summer and not the spring so I had a few behavioral questions. With the cool, but warming, water temps this week I had a few questions about bass behavior specifically for the Willamette:

1. Is there a decent early morning bite in the Willamette this time of year or is the best fishing only after the sun has hit the water for a while? I know there are no guarantees, but what is your general feeling.

2. This time of year with the water in the mid-50s do the smallmouth avoid the current or is that a non-factor? Once again, I am looking for your general thoughts.

3. The smallmouth should be in a pre-spawn right now. In the river do they push tight against the banks this time of year or will they still be further offshore. I guess I am asking for depth preference in the Willie this time of year.

4. In the lower river, do all the salmon fisherman, salmon and fur bags affect the fish location? I am not a salmon fisherman but it seems that salmon like to hang around the 15-20' level. I would assume the bass would probably avoid areas the salmon were moving through. I also see the fur bags working shelves around the 15-30' depth range. I would guess that they would scare the bass a fair bit.

Thanks for any info any can provide either here or via PM.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Not sure wish i could be more help but since my car blew up last week I havent fished much along with the wedding. Past experiences...Look for rocky drop off that have a creek moving into the river. Something where they can go from 20ft to 5ft quickly. With temps here I will say they may start their spawning in middle may but I could be wrong. Naw the bass dont care about the salmon I caught bass last year in prime salmon areas. They all use those slack waters to rest! Let me know if I can help with anything else!

B
Bassdad54
fishing willy

fishing willy

Our club had a torunament out of Newberg on March 31 we caught a lot fish. weighed 5 fish for almost 15lb.They are biting in 14ft depth should be good fishing

bass
bass
Thanks for all the info!

I am heading out tomorrow for a joint bass and sturgeon outing. I will let you all know how I do!

O
Outdoor_Myers
*taps foot waiting for an update....*

bass
bass
Outdoor_Myers said:
*taps foot waiting for an update....*

You need to read my post "Did anyone smell that terrible stink on the river around Newberg" post. Fished all day for one smallmouth.

O
Outdoor_Myers
If or when I get a kayak we should do some bass fishing down here in the salem/wheatland area once I learn how to fish from a kayak lol