Whats' biting in March

F
fishOregon
Me and my pops were gonna hit up the clack in like early march like the first two weks or so. Woundering what will be biting at that time. Steel still be biting ? we were going to go for coho but I read that the limit was reached is this true ? any info or tips will help thanks guys.

Good luck and tight lines -Mitch

C
chrisohm
You could still go for coho but you may have to travel farther up river and they may not be in the best of shape. You should target the winter steel that can be found from the mouth all the way up to Cazadero. Some people believe that they only go to Eagle Creek but the truth is they go as far as they can. The nooks and summers do the same thing just like the coho. Some go back into hatchery waters and others just keep going until they can find spawning grounds. Fish will continue upstream until they hit a wall. The only limit on coho would be natives in some rivers and commercial fishing. Get familiar with the regs and keep a copy with you at all times just to cover your own butt.

F
fishOregon
Thank you very much Chris for all the great info it has helped a lot --Mitch

C
chrisohm
You are welcome! You may even find some trout here and there that will go after your steelhead gear but keep in mind that trout season is not open until May 26th and only for clipped trout on the Clackamas. Carp tend to hide around Cross park but they may not be as active...

D
dozer365
The spring chinook are starting to show up round sellwood. Might well be in the river by march. Mid march for sure. There are a good number of winter stealhead running around. Bobber and jig for steelies. Egg an bobber for nooks. At least that's my suggestions. Best way to get into fish is by goin fishing. And u an ur ol' man have a he'll of a time. Miss fishing with my dad. Haven't been able to in like 14 yrs. Misss it. Anyway. The river is in pretty good shape. So If u want to do a recon mission for ur up coming trip. Get out there. It's good fishing. Lot of fish getting picked up down here in the lower part. But I'd go up by Barton or Mcgiver.