What type of braid Rapunzel?

madasahab
madasahab
Ok, so I am seeking some info on the best braid for bobber fishing based on: Strength, Floatability(new word) lol, and Resilience. Please don't suggest "not so tuff" line or pline hydropoop...been there, done that...lost two bruisers do to "not so tuff" line this season. Hydropoop couldn't even last long enough to hook a fish. I am trying power pro, and I was happy until it failed miserably yesterday on a near 20 pounder that was already on the beach (clipped to boot). It thrashed and made a run for it...did the ug 10 leader break? No, but the 30 "powerless pro" sure did! Next...

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

R
rippin fish lips
power pro sucks.

madasahab
madasahab
rippin fish lips said:
power pro sucks.

why aren't you out fishing young man!!! :shock:

N
n8r1
Interesting. I run #30 Power Pro on 2 of my steelhead rods (drift & bobber) and #40 on my salmon bobber rod and have never had an issue at all. I would like to see where this thread goes because I'll be replacing the #30 pretty soon, and although I've been happy, I wouldn't mind upgrading if there's something better out there.

M
Modest_Man
What knot are you using on your braid? If you're having failures on multiple brands of braid I don't think it's the braids fault. That said, next time I need to spool up I'm trying the Berkly Nanofill.

C
ChezJfrey
n8r1 said:
Interesting. I run #30 Power Pro on 2 of my steelhead rods (drift & bobber) and #40 on my salmon bobber rod and have never had an issue at all. I would like to see where this thread goes because I'll be replacing the #30 pretty soon, and although I've been happy, I wouldn't mind upgrading if there's something better out there.

Yeah, I'm wondering if madasahab is fishing in acid or something :) I run 25# (or is it 20? Can't remember) Power Pro on two rods (one hardware, other float) and have never had any problem with it and I fish them often and have caught a number of fish on both.

Like Modest_Man suggests, is it breaking at a knot?

bass
bass
I buy whatever is on sale. I have no idea what type of braid I have on various rods. There is a huge difference between braid and mono. In my opinion there is not all that much difference between braids. A lot of folks have brand loyalty, but I am only loyal to my wallet.

madasahab
madasahab
I am using the fish n fool knot. I think maybe it was just bad mojo. Maybe the line got caught on something? However, tuff line seems to loose it's ability to float rather quickly...:naughty:

madasahab
madasahab
ChezJfrey said:
Yeah, I'm wondering if madasahab is fishing in acid or something :) I run 25# (or is it 20? Can't remember) Power Pro on two rods (one hardware, other float) and have never had any problem with it and I fish them often and have caught a number of fish on both.

Like Modest_Man suggests, is it breaking at a knot?

Maybe it was an acid flash back and the whole thing was all in my head...:shock:

Reactions: n8r1
Y
Yogidabear
nanofil 14 lb.

ditto power pro sucks

Last edited:
S
steelie_killa
14lb nanofil with 10lb mono leader...never had a problem and its 2 yrs old...do u check your line every so often for frays, normally the first 10ft of it where the bobber stop is at. Normally if braids breaks its right there where u constantly change depths

R
rippin fish lips
madasahab said:
why aren't you out fishing young man!!! :shock:

Work! And giving my holes a little break along with my body. Been on a lot of un-even ground for the majority of the days of the week lately!!

N
n8r1
madasahab said:
I am using the fish n fool knot. I think maybe it was just bad mojo. Maybe the line got caught on something? However, tuff line seems to loose it's ability to float rather quickly...:naughty:

Try a palomar knot if you're tying braid to a swivel or other terminal tackle.

madasahab
madasahab
I am confident that it wasn't the knot. I solved this problem after the last time I lost a trophy this season. I went to the fish n fool knot. As I think about it more and lick my wounds, I think the line either got caught on something or it was maybe compromised in the section of the bobber stop. I am on the lookout for these rubber stops I have heard of. I am interested in this Nanofil...

O
OnTheDrop
I wouldn't say power pro sucks at all. I've used it for 4 years and just over the last year changed to Nanofil.. I definently prefer Nanofil for steelhead.. I use the 14lb with a 6lb leader....Never have issues, even with the bigguns. For salmon i'll take the power pro and get to work....

madasahab
madasahab
832 Advanced Superline® ??? any comments on this line??? I was considering it...

B
Bgunder
Nanofil

C
colbypearson
madasahab said:

A braided lines ability to float, or buoyancy as a whole is directly correlated to that lines diameter. I am not surprised in the slightest a thin braid (Under 65) would likely retain neutral buoyancy especially in a river.

Secondly, braided lines have NO stretch. I have broken 65 on bass no problem, although they are abrasion resistant fraying a braided line can spell disaster, and that is likewise for close combat scenarios such as when you lost your fish.

Powerpro is a great line, by far one of the best braids on the market and definitely one of the most commonly available/affordable. I would recommend upping your strength ratings ie diameter if you want to continue fishing braids, if someone typically float fishes with 12-15lb mono for example you should step up to 50-65lb braid because the diameters match.

Also I am not familiar with the fish-n-fool knot, I use the palomar knot because that is THE knot to use with braid, other knots that are constructed similar to a clinch knot slip easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: n8r1
madasahab
madasahab
colbypearson said:
A braided lines ability to float, or buoyancy as a whole is directly correlated to that lines diameter. I am not surprised in the slightest a thin braid (Under 65) would likely retain neutral buoyancy especially in a river.

Secondly, braided lines have NO stretch. I have broken 65 on bass no problem, although they are abrasion resistant fraying a braided line can spell disaster, and that is likewise for close combat scenarios such as when you lost your fish.

Powerpro is a great line, by far one of the best braids on the market and definitely one of the most commonly available/affordable. I would recommend upping your strength ratings ie diameter if you want to continue fishing braids, if someone typically float fishes with 12-15lb mono for example you should step up to 50-65lb braid because the diameters match.

Also I am not familiar with the fish-n-fool knot, I use the palomar knot because that is THE knot to use with braid, other knots that are constructed similar to a clinch knot slip easily.

It's called the uni knot in the power pro booklet.

J
JeannaJigs
After going through several brands over the last 10 years, I only roll with power pro 30 for wiener steelhead and 65 (I like the diameter for large 3 oz floats) for all salmon anymore. I've heard good things about nanofil but it's not for use on baitcasters so I haven't used it. Braid definitely has to be handled differently than mono as far as drag and knots go, like colby said, i too only use the palomar knot and the only times I've had it fail other than not paying proper attention to my drag were when I got in a hurry and tied a sloppy knot, or didn't check for abrasions when retying. The only braid I can say is total utter crap is spyderwire, and maybe I just had a defective spool, but I experimented with one spool of 65# this fall and had it break over and over again on fish. It was a very shelf ridden river with tons of underwater abrasion potential, and I'm certain that cost a few, but after experimenting, I was actually able to break it with the strength of my hands. Uh yeah, that shouldn't happen. Also you might try making your own bobber stops out of heavy mono. They don't slip at all when cinched down and don't abrade the line.

Reactions: billfisher