What are your expectations for a charter fishing trip ?

C
colbypearson
BobbiDollPDX said:
It sounds to me like people are confusing the question of "What do you expect from a charter" with "What don't you like from a charter".

If you don't like to charter trips, then you probably don't expect much so this post wouldn't really apply unless you just like to complain.

i was aked to "elaborate" if that has anything to do with me LOL

just makin sure ;)

A
Amberjack
if your only in it for the money..........well then i wont go into detail maybe post it on your guide pamphlet and site "in it for the money dont expect much" because when i want a guide i want somone who can adjust and perservere all year some one skilled and aware of the current conditions, a angler that can adjust and succeed, what ever happened to there plenty of fish in the sea? just gotta know how to get them at any given time, then call yourself a guide.....again no offense meant to anyone but its a sore topic, and all i think is take the amount of anglers you can please on a guided trip.

Yes I am in it for the money, that is how I make a living. Do I want people to fail... NO!! I have a gut feeling you are somewhat an experienced angler for 17 years old. You know as well as I do.. one day the fish are WFO, go back the next day, same technique, same area, will produce nothing, nada zip. You change up and still nothing. Guide/charter/personal fishing, sh*t happens. I would like to ask you Colby, how many offshore trips you have been on?

C
colbypearson
Amberjack said:
if your only in it for the money..........well then i wont go into detail maybe post it on your guide pamphlet and site "in it for the money dont expect much" because when i want a guide i want somone who can adjust and perservere all year some one skilled and aware of the current conditions, a angler that can adjust and succeed, what ever happened to there plenty of fish in the sea? just gotta know how to get them at any given time, then call yourself a guide.....again no offense meant to anyone but its a sore topic, and all i think is take the amount of anglers you can please on a guided trip.

Yes I am in it for the money, that is how I make a living. Do I want people to fail... NO!! I have a gut feeling you are somewhat an experienced angler for 17 years old. You know as well as I do.. one day the fish are WFO, go back the next day, same technique, same area, will produce nothing, nada zip. You change up and still nothing. Guide/charter/personal fishing, sh*t happens. I would like to ask you Colby, how many offshore trips you have been on?

not a whole lot 4 or 5, 1 or 2 of witch went good 2 went decent and the other completely failed, its alright dude i said big game saltwater fishing is a whole different game than freshwater witch for the most part i was reffering to, i said that a post or two ago.. first couple posts i said guided trips really arent my thing im not that into it, so if it offends you directly disregard it its 1 persons opinion out of so many others, i realize things happen i tried to offer possible explanations, when i hear guided trip my mind thinks freshwater very different in many ways....once again no offense, just my opinion.

B
BobbiDollPDX
colbypearson said:
not a whole lot 4 or 5, 1 or 2 of witch went good 2 went decent and the other completely failed, its alright dude i said big game saltwater fishing is a whole different game than freshwater witch for the most part i was reffering to, i said that a post or two ago.. first couple posts i said guided trips really arent my thing im not that into it, so if it offends you directly disregard it its 1 persons opinion out of so many others, i realize things happen i tried to offer possible explanations, when i hear guided trip my mind thinks freshwater very different in many ways....once again no offense, just my opinion.

I think that's where the confusion is. A Charter and Guide are totally different animals.

A
Amberjack
No problem.. I asked the original question to step up my game. I spend 280 days a year on the water of which 150 min. are on the saltwater. Other 130 are trying to chase those #&#*(@ LM bass.

F
firewalker
being an x deadliest catch guy, I like to start eating the bait if I can't find a spot on the rail.. once I down a couple raw herring or squid I usually get the rail to myself..

R
rippin fish lips
colbypearson said:
its my opinion straight across the board if you can only supply a certain amount of fish take about that amount of people dont fill the boat, not saying your like some fishing prophet and i realize all the costs of running a boat is a lot..... but if the fishing is tough why take out a full boat? if its money your worried about get another job, im not speaking directly to you amberjack but in general i dont feel its right to take a full boat when you know that you can't fill it with fish, am i right if anyone thinks im wrong here let me know? but take the amount of people you can satisfy.....

so pretty much i would adjust on the conditions at hand get good at knowing your fish and how they work, not saying its easy.... study weather patterns, fish migratory patters, study the bait that the fish key in on and make it happen so when its tough you can still catch a good amount of fish, listen everyone has a tough day but try to narrow the chances of a bad day so the possibilities are slim... if its tough only take out a smaller amount of anglers, its its on fire and the fish are practically jumpin in the boat adjust accordingly! theres no way to know a day before it happens this i know but if you base it off statistics then adjust based off of them i think it would be better for the people going on the trip as well as the guide, i see you have to have a minum amount of income per trip but to me its immoral to take out 18 anglers when you know its been tough and most guys have been blaking, am i wrong?

colby's perfect world guided fishing strategy^^^^^^^^^ :lol::lol::lol::think:

Well said!!

R
rippin fish lips
Amberjack said:

oo!i like they way you worded this amberjack!! i like it more then colbys now that i think of it, but no hard feelings to you colbY!! like you said its your opinion :)

C
colbypearson
rippin fish lips said:
oo!i like they way you worded this amberjack!! i like it more then colbys now that i think of it, but no hard feelings to you colbY!! like you said its your opinion :)

ehh no problem, we already discussed it we were thinking of different things we both have valid points to take into consideration, like i said in a perfect world it could work my way, but thats not how it goes charter's are out to make money not that thats bad its a great career fun i bet too...... pretty much hes the charter guy so go with what he said! :) i just threw in a little of my opinion here and there

O
OnTheFly
To answer the OP I will say I expect the charter outfit to have good maintained gear, no old line or hooks, a good instinct were the fish are, and doing everything possible with thier expertise to keep your line in the water. I don't expect them to guaranty a fish for me. If they have done everything in thier power to get me into a fish and I still get skunked, I would still think it was worth the money. Just like with any guide or charter service, the knowledge you learn from them is priceless.

G
GDBrown
Ocean Charters

Ocean Charters

I have expectations of getting out of the harbor and back safely! Anything else is a bonus, The best charters captains are the ones that are entertaining and helpful when fishing is slow. Like a river guide, they have knowledge I don't have and that is part of the package deal when you hire a guide or a charter. If you have never done a certain type of fishing and want top learn the cheapest thing you can do is hire someone to teach you.

It is the same principle as getting your bathtub replaced! You can do it youself, X3, until you get it right or you hire a plumber who has done it many times and get it done right the first time. The cost is about the same.

How many times did you go Steelhead fishing alone before you caught your first fish? How many times did it take when someone showed you how to do it or you were where others were catching fish?

GD

S
stanster
I'm a veteran of many ocean charters out of San Diego and Orange County, CA. My main expectation is to have a good boat ride and a reasonable CHANCE of catching fish, hopefully of the desired species. Follow the local fish reports and you will see that no one brings home fish every trip. Even the best skippers get "skunked" occassionaly and they hate it!

I expect the skipper to have a decent idea of where the targeted species, be it albacore, other tuna, halibut or whatever can be found. I expect the crew to be knowledgeable about which lures are working on the troll. I expect the coffee to be hot, the beer to be cold and hopefully a decent breakfast burrito. Do you have burritos in Oregon?

I expect the crew to keep the rail rats moving and hopefully insure everyone's lines are straight. I do not expect "ringers" who are buddies of the skipper to hog the best spots and win the jackpot, splitting it with the skipper late ron. Yeah, this practice happens but it is rare and an ethical skipper won't do it.

I expect the bait to be in good shape, although the crew may not have much control of it. An alert skipper and crew will scrutinize the bait closely as the boat is loading up from the bait barge.

With the exception of very inexperienced anglers, I hav enot seen the crew bait anyone's lines for them. Most do it themselves, fight the fish, reel it to the boat. A deckhand will usually gaff it because the deck is high enough to make other landing methods impractical.

I expect to meet some interesting people and see some beautiful sights out on the ocean.

I expect a darned good time and if I get a fish, or two or five, that's a bonus!!!

Yeah, I've been skunked once or twice but those things happen. I have enjoyed every charter trip I've taken.

Stanster