Well, now you did it...

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Raincatcher said:
Thank you,one and all. I hope you will all be patient with me and buddah426. As new 'toon owners, I'm sure we will have dozens of questions and pleas for advice.
My first question is regarding safety. What all do I need for the maintenance of the whole pontoon? I already have my personal safety equipment, I think. I got one of those pdf's that open automatically,mainly because I sink like a meteorite in flight. But I'm sure there are repair kits, pumps,and ???? What brands are the best? Is there some kind of foot rest I can get attached to the existing one to support my heel? It comes with 7' oars, are these the right size for a 5'4" person? What oar locks do I use and where do I get them? Do any of you have anything like a safety line from you to the pontoon? I'm not planning on falling off, but it is a concern,for now. Is there a way to attach a wheel somewhere so I don't have to drag it across the gravel. Did I mention I am a stubby lady? Lifting that thing up over my head may have happened 10-15 years ago, but not today.
Please accept my gratitude in advance for any and all answers you may want to provide. I'm positive I will have more. Thank you all again. Be safe.
Barb

As far as the life jacket is concerned, you're talking about the kind that inflates with a c02 cartridge right? I had one, and I can say don't leave it in a bag or any other place where water can accumulate... I left mine in the rear bag while it was raining and the next day, well I could tell that my bag was a lot fuller in the morning than it was that night.. :rolleyes: Ruined it.

K1 Pumps are great. A little spendy but well worth it. As far as patch kits go, CombatChuck bought an OutCast brand emergency kit that he claims works great. Made for pontoons and is contained in a little bag you can strap to your frame.

7' oars should be ok, it's all about where you place your seat and the actual stopper on the oar that dictates a certain setup for a persons hight. One thing wholeheartedly recommend are OarRights. Google them. They are the ticket for sure.

The difference between 6' and 7' foot is that with the 7' you have to place your pivot point closer to the handle and while it works for some at makes for a little more work as you don't have the same leverage point. I use 7' and have a set of 6' oars laying around so if you want those we can arrange a trade of some sort if you like.

Yeah you do not want a tether. If you fell off in fast water and you went one way around a rock while your boat went the other would be really bad.

Have fun!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Building the list

Building the list

GraphiteZen said:
As far as the life jacket is concerned, you're talking about the kind that inflates with a c02 cartridge right? I had one, and I can say don't leave it in a bag or any other place where water can accumulate... I left mine in the rear bag while it was raining and the next day, well I could tell that my bag was a lot fuller in the morning than it was that night.. :rolleyes: Ruined it.

K1 Pumps are great. A little spendy but well worth it. As far as patch kits go, CombatChuck bought an OutCast brand emergency kit that he claims works great. Made for pontoons and is contained in a little bag you can strap to your frame.

7' oars should be ok, it's all about where you place your seat and the actual stopper on the oar that dictates a certain setup for a persons hight. One thing wholeheartedly recommend are OarRights. Google them. They are the ticket for sure.

The difference between 6' and 7' foot is that with the 7' you have to place your pivot point closer to the handle and while it works for some at makes for a little more work as you don't have the same leverage point. I use 7' and have a set of 6' oars laying around so if you want those we can arrange a trade of some sort if you like.

Yeah you do not want a tether. If you fell off in fast water and you went one way around a rock while your boat went the other would be really bad.

Have fun!!

GraphiteZen;
Thanks for the info and advice. Yeah, it is the c02 model you're talking about. I'm thinking I'll keep it for when my son & I go out on the Willamette or Columbia. I have a couple other styles but not sure which would work the best. I know I don't want to feel like I did when my mom used to dress me up to go out into the snow. Remember, felt like a zombie or robot. Any advice on which one will keep me from drowning but won't strangle me?
Are the K1 pumps the double action ones? I have read about some of you having the double action pumps. I'll get one before I get the 'toon. I read CC's post about his repair kit and that sounds like a plan. I think they are at Joe's, not sure about Sportsman's.
I'm thinking about putting the swivel seat I'm getting from buddah up on a 6" extension. That shouldn't make it top-heavy but still let me have a better view. Thoughts on that? Will that make the oars a better fit? Or maybe the shorter ones will still be better for me since I'm 5'4"? Is there some kind of formula for this? A trade is not out of the question.
I Googled the OarRights and will be ordering them before bedtime. Thanks for that.
I feel pretty silly about the tether. I didn't think that one all the way through. But I won't be taking the pontoon out into any river anytime soon. I read and re-read Troutski's report on his maiden voyage, not to mention his "pucker factor". Being about the same age bracket, I bow to his wisdom. I will be sticking to lakes,ponds and reservoirs for a while. Even JeannaJigs had a scary trip her first time out on her river.
Thanks for all your help. Be safe.
Barb

J
JeannaJigs
Scary (momentarily) but great fun :) After additional modifcations, I will be taking it out on the McKenzie this summer, though I will most definitely not be floating that river alone, no way, that river is a beast. AND I will have new oar locks that don't come flying out. Yup. Will be fun times. You are going to have soooo much fun with yours :)

N
ninja2010
Raincatcher said:
GraphiteZen;

I'm thinking about putting the swivel seat I'm getting from buddah up on a 6" extension. That shouldn't make it top-heavy but still let me have a better view. Thoughts on that?
Barb

no, it's not top heavy. toons are very stable. raised seat is comfy, but if you're on a lake, the wind could be a factor. sitting lower cuts down the "sail" effect. and i think the oar angle is also a bit better (i'm not too experienced in that dept). i raised mine so i can swivel 90 degrees to handle the tiller.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Raincatcher said:
GraphiteZen;
Thanks for the info and advice. Yeah, it is the c02 model you're talking about. I'm thinking I'll keep it for when my son & I go out on the Willamette or Columbia. I have a couple other styles but not sure which would work the best. I know I don't want to feel like I did when my mom used to dress me up to go out into the snow. Remember, felt like a zombie or robot. Any advice on which one will keep me from drowning but won't strangle me?
Are the K1 pumps the double action ones? I have read about some of you having the double action pumps. I'll get one before I get the 'toon. I read CC's post about his repair kit and that sounds like a plan. I think they are at Joe's, not sure about Sportsman's.
I'm thinking about putting the swivel seat I'm getting from buddah up on a 6" extension. That shouldn't make it top-heavy but still let me have a better view. Thoughts on that? Will that make the oars a better fit? Or maybe the shorter ones will still be better for me since I'm 5'4"? Is there some kind of formula for this? A trade is not out of the question.
I Googled the OarRights and will be ordering them before bedtime. Thanks for that.
I feel pretty silly about the tether. I didn't think that one all the way through. But I won't be taking the pontoon out into any river anytime soon. I read and re-read Troutski's report on his maiden voyage, not to mention his "pucker factor". Being about the same age bracket, I bow to his wisdom. I will be sticking to lakes,ponds and reservoirs for a while. Even JeannaJigs had a scary trip her first time out on her river.
Thanks for all your help. Be safe.
Barb

Don't worry a bit about the tether. A lot of people consider it.

As far as the life vest goes, so long as it goes on over all clothing and is strapped on fairly tightly there should be nothing that will choke you. If you have several that's great as different kinds will be more comfortable with different amounts of clothing. You sure don't want to feel like that poor kid on A Christmas Story that couldn't move his arms when his mom dressed him for the snow. Familiar? :lol::lol:

As far as the extension, you should wait until you have the pontoon and your new seat before determining how much room you have to boost it up. With 7' oars you will need to lift the tips up higher to make for another stroke and that results in dropping the handles down more towards you knees. You can easily run out of room depending on the frame design. I could only get about 3'' on mine before the handles came too close to hitting my legs. That is really the only think to worry about when considering length vs height. When you set up the oars, you place the OarRight in a position on the oar that will allow your hands to be some inches apart at the closest. How many inches is up to preference and the type of water you are in. Whatever length is left after that is determined is whatever is left.

The K1 pump is not double action, but if you have a bad back it may be your better option. It isn't like your typical bicycle type pump that most pontoon pumps are designed after. The kind you hunker over while standing on the two little legs that stick out. The K1 is essentially a giant syringe and with it coming with nozzles made at different angles that allows you to chose from a number of positions when you use it. For someone with a bad back that might be a better option. Check it out on Google also.

Oh and about the OarRights make sire you get the right diameter. I believe you want to small/medium.

Yeah rivers are fun but lakes are a lot safer and more serene. :) The peace and quiet is nice.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
More brain picking...

More brain picking...

You people are too cool with all the advice. Naturally I have a new question. Okay, I got a fly set-up for my birthday last year. I am wondering if a person can fly fish from a pontoon? I am still having trouble with yards of line piling up at my feet. :( I know that is NOT supposed to happen,hence my concerns about doing it on the pontoon. Any thoughts? :think: Be safe.
Barb

N
ninja2010
Raincatcher said:
You people are too cool with all the advice. Naturally I have a new question. Okay, I got a fly set-up for my birthday last year. I am wondering if a person can fly fish from a pontoon? I am still having trouble with yards of line piling up at my feet. :( I know that is NOT supposed to happen,hence my concerns about doing it on the pontoon. Any thoughts? :think: Be safe.
Barb

i believe toons were originally made for flyswingers. you should have a mesh/netting/basket thingy that attaches to the frame (stripping apron) to hold the line above your lap. if not, you can always get one online.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
That makes sense

That makes sense

Thanks ninja. I think it has one on it. Did I mention I haven't actually seen it in person,yet? I go down to Roseburg area to pick it up next week. Very exciting! Thanks again. Be safe.
Barb

N
ninja2010
just thought of something... if you're raising your seat, then the stripping apron would not work. you might look at getting a portable stripping apron (one that hangs from the neck) or just let the line float on the water.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
ninja2010 said:
just thought of something... if you're raising your seat, then the stripping apron would not work. you might look at getting a portable stripping apron (one that hangs from the neck) or just let the line float on the water.

I use to attach the stripping apron across the two main beams that the footrests jut out from, below the level of the seat and far enough back the the rear edge of the apron goes just under the seat a tad. Worked great for fly line and the occasional dropped pair of pliers or what haver you...

Which reminds me! I borrowed a pair of forceps from Chuck when we fished Red Hills Lake and never gave them back!!!!! I'll have to PM him.

N
ninja2010
duh! :rolleyes: i get it. the stripping doesn't have to be on the lap... it can be lower, as long as the line has a place to lie.

and give chuck back his pliers...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
A platform would be nice

A platform would be nice

I really like the idea of a platform. Is there an issue with weight? That may be on the waiting list. Thanks guys. Be safe.
Barb

H
Hawk
SurVivor is on the tv Tonite......................................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.........................:cool::cool::cool::cool:

C
Combat Chuck
A double action pump is killer on my back (Im 23) although the shorter you are the less you have to bend over. The K-pump may be worth the money or use an electric to get it near full and top it off with a $10 double action pump. As GZ mentioned you can't row with an extension of more than a couple inches if you want to use your oars. I would really really like a pedestal on my toon but it just doesn't work.

J
JeannaJigs
the double action kills my back too. i hate it. I use an electric pump to fill 'er up most of the way and then top it off with the double action torture device.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
My magic carpet is home,finally

My magic carpet is home,finally

Took a beautiful drive down to Glendale yesterday to pick up my "new" pontoon boat. Just think, my very own magic carpet! FishingNut couldn't have been nicer to deal with. A true gentleman,he refused to sell it out from under me when someone OFFered him more money than he and I had agreed to. We unstrapped the bladders and loaded it all up in my van. That was a relief,I had visions of bungee cords all over the place. I will be taking it out to get used to it so I don't humiliate myself in front of all of you in Eugene. So happy! Be safe.
Barb

B
buddah426
!!!yeah!!!

!!!yeah!!!

:dance:congrats on the new toon barb:dance: i hope it brings you years of fishing joy as they tend to do. it really helps to get you to spots that were unreachable before. by the way... pm me about that issue if you are still interested.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Alright!!!!!! You are going to have the greatest time. Just wait until the first time you push off the bank and feel yourself just gliding along. That's what hooked me. The first time out I was HOOKED. Oops pun. :lol::lol::lol:

B
buddah426
B t w

B t w

PICS? PICS? PICS? ??? ???? ????? ;):lol:;)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You've got mail....

You've got mail....

buddah426 said:
:dance:congrats on the new toon barb:dance: i hope it brings you years of fishing joy as they tend to do. it really helps to get you to spots that were unreachable before. by the way... pm me about that issue if you are still interested.

PM sent