Well, now you did it...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Well, I finally had to do it. I made a deal on a pontoon,I'll pick it up next weekend. It is a 9'Water Skeeter. I am nervously excited. It won't be mine until I have it in my shop. But I'm still excited. :dance: I will be checking past posts to find out what all I need. It does have a motor mount,gear & battery box,rod holders and an anchor set-up. I know I will be finding a good padded seat. My grannie hiney won't last long,otherwise. :lol: :lol: :naughty: Just thought I would share my good news. You guys and gals are responsible for what my roomie calls "insanity",you know. You all just made it sound like way too much fun. Thanks,y'all. :D
Barb

N
ninja2010
awesome!!! you're not insane... just joining the floating club.

to quote someone we know... BE SAFE. :D

F
FishFinger
That is so cool, your going to have such fun with it!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
haha Congratulations! :dance: "We are Borg.." You know the rest! :lol:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Borg?

Borg?

GraphiteZen said:
haha Congratulations! :dance: "We are Borg.." You know the rest! :lol:

Ummmm....huh? :confused: Borg? :confused: Duh,boy do I feel dumb. :( Enlighten me,Sonny...heh heh heh...help out an ol' granny....:think: :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
haha I was wondering if that was a mistake after I posted it.

There was a race of people on Star-Trek called the "Borg" that were half human half robot. They went around kidnapping races of people and turning them into Borg.

Not that I watch Star Trek much (never) but the declaration they would recite just before attacking a people is sometimes used by people once they convince someone to join a certain hobby, and is usually not considered to be very funny so I don't know why I tried :).

The saying is:

"We are Borg; prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

And I'm a hoser haha

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
To hose or not to hose

To hose or not to hose

Zen;
Good Lord, no wonder I had no idea what you meant! :confused: That was hardly a fair test of "Sometimers disease". :naughty: You were testing me,right? Haha, I do know what a hoser is,and you just might be....not. :lol: I will see you on the water someday,I promise. :D Be safe.
Barb

J
JeannaJigs
:D

You could only resist so long.

Fun supercedes insanity.

S
SDK
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Woohoo :dance:

Troutski
Troutski
Congratulations...

Congratulations...

Now your a member of the Magic Carpet Club...tight lines and be safe..:dance::dance::dance: Fishing will never be the same.

Chuck

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
One or two questions...

One or two questions...

Thank you,one and all. I hope you will all be patient with me and buddah426. As new 'toon owners, I'm sure we will have dozens of questions and pleas for advice.
My first question is regarding safety. What all do I need for the maintenance of the whole pontoon? I already have my personal safety equipment, I think. I got one of those pdf's that open automatically,mainly because I sink like a meteorite in flight. But I'm sure there are repair kits, pumps,and ???? What brands are the best? Is there some kind of foot rest I can get attached to the existing one to support my heel? It comes with 7' oars, are these the right size for a 5'4" person? What oar locks do I use and where do I get them? Do any of you have anything like a safety line from you to the pontoon? I'm not planning on falling off, but it is a concern,for now. Is there a way to attach a wheel somewhere so I don't have to drag it across the gravel. Did I mention I am a stubby lady? Lifting that thing up over my head may have happened 10-15 years ago, but not today.
Please accept my gratitude in advance for any and all answers you may want to provide. I'm positive I will have more. Thank you all again. Be safe.
Barb

N
ninja2010
well, i'll give it a shot here. can't answer all your questions, but i'm sure some of the toon vets will.

first off, i have a "front motor mount" on my toon. it goes right across the frame so i can rest my feet anywhere, not just on the "j" bars for footrests. mine is a buck's bags toon, so i got that accessory from them.

next point (just me) i would never tether myself to the toon. in case i go down, i do not want to get dragged around. i'd rather float myself to shore/bank and have the toon go where it wants. it'll end up on the bank at some point.

thirdly, i have wheels on mine. they are kayak portage wheels that i got from rei that i use bungees to strap on to the bottom of the frame on the back. it's lightweight and made of aluminium. so when i get to the bank/ramp, i just lift up the front and push my toon to the car like a wheelbarrow.

i'll try to post pix of my mods soon. hope that helps.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks ninja2010

Thanks ninja2010

ninja2010;
Thanks for sharing. I have a motor mount, but it's in the back. Mine is a Water Skeeter, is that fairly similar to yours? Good thoughts on the tether. Not being a swimmer, I would not want to be drug anywhere underwater. Mind if I ask what you paid for your wheels? I looked at some at Sportsman's a few months ago,daydreaming, and I think they went for around $80. Thanks for answering some of the questions for me. Pictures would be great! Be safe.
Barb

J
JeannaJigs
ninja2010 said:
well, i'll give it a shot here. can't answer all your questions, but i'm sure some of the toon vets will.

first off, i have a "front motor mount" on my toon. it goes right across the frame so i can rest my feet anywhere, not just on the "j" bars for footrests. mine is a buck's bags toon, so i got that accessory from them.

next point (just me) i would never tether myself to the toon. in case i go down, i do not want to get dragged around. i'd rather float myself to shore/bank and have the toon go where it wants. it'll end up on the bank at some point.

thirdly, i have wheels on mine. they are kayak portage wheels that i got from rei that i use bungees to strap on to the bottom of the frame on the back. it's lightweight and made of aluminium. so when i get to the bank/ramp, i just lift up the front and push my toon to the car like a wheelbarrow.

i'll try to post pix of my mods soon. hope that helps.
Oh that is snazzy. My back is messed up from a car accident and carrying that beast up to my rig is an evil event. I might have to look into these kayak portage thinger things. I also need to do something about the foot rest things...mine well..they work but not so comfortable when you're on the water all day.

N
ninja2010
JeannaJigs said:
Oh that is snazzy. My back is messed up from a car accident and carrying that beast up to my rig is an evil event. I might have to look into these kayak portage thinger things. I also need to do something about the foot rest things...mine well..they work but not so comfortable when you're on the water all day.

i don't have any car accident (sorry to hear that, btw) to mess up my back, i'm just a whimp. so i got these wheels, and they work great. it makes the toon into an amphibious vehicle. :D

the footrest is simple. some peeps just tie a pvc pipe across the "j" bars... that works.

J
JeannaJigs
ninja2010 said:
i don't have any car accident (sorry to hear that, btw) to mess up my back, i'm just a whimp. so i got these wheels, and they work great. it makes the toon into an amphibious vehicle. :D

the footrest is simple. some peeps just tie a pvc pipe across the "j" bars... that works.
It's not so bad, and it keeps my chiropracter in business (the worthless back). If I go to the chiropracter like I'm supposed to (Which I don't) it doesn't hurt unless I aggravate it (with something like carrying a 90 pound pontoon boat...) lol.

Never thought about PVC...I'm so non creative and non visionary when it comes to that kinda thing. I will look into that.

Finally replaced the crummy seat that came with it, with one that has a real nice padded backrest and swivels around...Oohhhh so wonderful.

N
ninja2010
JeannaJigs said:
It's not so bad, and it keeps my chiropracter in business (the worthless back). If I go to the chiropracter like I'm supposed to (Which I don't) it doesn't hurt unless I aggravate it (with something like carrying a 90 pound pontoon boat...) lol.

Never thought about PVC...I'm so non creative and non visionary when it comes to that kinda thing. I will look into that.

Finally replaced the crummy seat that came with it, with one that has a real nice padded backrest and swivels around...Oohhhh so wonderful.

yeah, and i raised my padded seat on a swivel pedestal, so i can spin 360 degree and being higher up, it helps casting a spotting. and also more comfy - more like a sitting position.
home depot used to be my regular hangout when i'm into my toon and toob mods. pvc is cheap, lightweight, easy to work with and very strong. you can build rodholders, footrests, sonar holders, net holders, etc, etc.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Time to nag (gently)

Time to nag (gently)

JeannaJigs;
I don't know about you young'uns! :rolleyes: I will give you my absolute best advice, even though you didn't ask for it. ;) The best favor you kids can do for yourselves is to take the best care of your back as you can. I know,I know, you've heard it before and wish the old people would quit nagging. I didn't listen either and now I have no choice but to get ninja's wheels on my 'toon. Do all you can to get as close to the condition your back should be in. You will really need it when you hit 50. My Mother used to say all our warranties start expiring after we turn 50. I laughed. She was right. Be safe.
Barb

J
JeannaJigs
Raincatcher said:
JeannaJigs;
I don't know about you young'uns! :rolleyes: I will give you my absolute best advice, even though you didn't ask for it. ;) The best favor you kids can do for yourselves is to take the best care of your back as you can. I know,I know, you've heard it before and wish the old people would quit nagging. I didn't listen either and now I have no choice but to get ninja's wheels on my 'toon. Do all you can to get as close to the condition your back should be in. You will really need it when you hit 50. My Mother used to say all our warranties start expiring after we turn 50. I laughed. She was right. Be safe.
Barb
Yeah yeah lol. I'm workin' on it. It's improved a lot with weight loss (lost 60 pounds). I'm starting to take better care of it, slowly. If I'm still alive when I'm 50, I don't want to be relying on the cripple carts at wal-mart to get around :( I work in an internal medicine clinic, and see a LOT of people with degenerative disc disease and the like, a lot of people with chronic pain...and they're really not that much older than I am...so it's made me aware.

So yes ma'am, I will take better care of my back :)

N
ninja2010
Raincatcher said:
JeannaJigs;
Barb

i got shortchanged! my warranty started when i turned 40...

barb is right, though... take good care of that back.