Use of corn for fishing in Oregon?

B
Born2Fish55
Okay... lost on this one... we used to use the white Shoepeg corn for Kokanee and Hatchery Trout in the lakes.
I was told by several people this past year at Henry Hagg that it is now illegal to do so in Oregon, yet the ODFW suggest the use of corn as one of its recommended techniques for lake fishing in its Synopsis. I know that there was a study that showed the use of corn for fish food did not work and actually resulted in a higher mortality rate than the standard pellet fish food (which cost 20X as much as corn), but was there ever a study on the impact of corn as a bait (other than the fish swallowing the bait when hooked) done and what was the outcome of that study?

Here is what ODFW says:

"Fish from the Top with Bobber and Bait

The object is to hang your bait at the level fish are cruising, and well above pesky submerged logs and weeds that can grab your hook. This technique is often best in mornings, evenings and other low-light conditions when fish feel more secure being closer to the surface. Effective baits include worms, corn, marshmallows and PowerBait. If using marshmallows or PowerBait, you’ll need to add one or more weights (such as split shot) to the line 18 inches above the bait. Add weight to get the bait more quickly to the desired depth. When using PowerBait, try changing colors if you aren’t having any luck."

"Tackle & Techniques: Angling for rainbow trout is most successful in the spring, early summer and fall when surface temperatures are cooler. By mid-summer, trout releases are mostly in the North Santiam Arm where cold water is entering the reservoir. Troll for trout with a small spinner or a piece of nightcrawler behind the flasher. Bank anglers can toss spinners or fish with worms, PowerBait or salmon eggs floated off the bottom. By late July or August most of the kokanee may be 80-100 feet deep; downriggers are a advantage, but a heavier fishing pole with sufficient weight will work. Common techniques include jigging with buzz bombs or kokanee jigs— pink or red are effective—and trolling using a Ford Fender or other flasher with a spinner behind it and some white corn or piece of worm on the hooks. Anglers fishing off the dam in the spring do quite well fishing for salmon as they leave the reservoir. the hooks. Anglers fishing off the dam in the spring do quite well fishing for salmon as they leave the reservoir."

Since I could not locate the rule in the ODFW Synopsis yet, I decide to ask the OFF team to give me their input on it... :think: Legal in Oregon or not and why?

T
tomriker
I don't see how they could outlaw corn when they still allow live worms

T
Throbbit _Shane
Corn is not outlawed. If your using it for carp it is illegal to chum it though.

G
grampa ron
Why use corn at all? I have caught a lot of Trout and Kokanee with out it.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Why? Because it works. I dont know why. lol

T
tomriker
grampa ron said:

My gpa swears by corn for his Kokanee fishing and he's ways catching limits so let him do what he wants :)

H
Hawk
I wonder why Pileworms aren't sold in Oregon ??? :think: hmmmm

Nightcrawlers, mealworms, redworms are sold.

B
Born2Fish55
Hawk said:
I wonder why Pileworms aren't sold in Oregon ??? :think: hmmmm

Nightcrawlers, mealworms, redworms are sold.

I found them at a Tackle shop down in Coos Bay... other than there, I have to catch my own :confused:
Good question however!

B
Born2Fish55
grampa ron said:

The white Shoepeg Corn soaked in Pro-Cure Bunker (Menhaden) oil overnight will out fish almost anything out there for Trout and Kokanee... as well as working for Bass, Panfish, Carp and Catfish. I don't use bait much, however when I used to this was the dynamite go-to bait! Plus the white Corn will take any color of dye that you want to throw at it or work fine as white.

T
tomriker
Throbbit _Shane said:
Corn is not outlawed. If your using it for carp it is illegal to chum it though.

What If you accidentally knock your can of corn over into the water?

T
Throbbit _Shane
tomriker said:

You'll get a ticket. State cops are not nice. Don't ask me how I know.

T
troutmasta
tomriker said:

You sound like my father inlaw

T
troutmasta
Throbbit _Shane said:
You'll get a ticket. State cops are not nice. Don't ask me how I know.

how do you know?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Got a ticket once while bank fishing at a lake once by a stater. The same offense in town I wouldnt of got a ticket...

J
joem
you can use white corn but not yellow, yellow is illeagle last time i checked. dont ask me why cause i dont know. but about the ticket my dad got a ticket for throwing marshmellows in the water. staters are not there to help you they are there to let you brake the law so they can get you for it. they will sit there and watch you just to give you a ticket.

B
Born2Fish55
joem said:
you can use white corn but not yellow, yellow is illeagle last time i checked. dont ask me why cause i dont know. but about the ticket my dad got a ticket for throwing marshmellows in the water. staters are not there to help you they are there to let you brake the law so they can get you for it. they will sit there and watch you just to give you a ticket.

Where did you find the info on Corn in the Synopsis? And would it bi illegal to use Yellow Corn if it began as White Corn and you dye it Yellow??? And that brings it back to why? :think::think:

B
Born2Fish55
OnTheFly said:
Here's an article I found regarding the use of corn for bait. It appears that corn does not harm trout but will reduce their growth if it was a big part of their diet.

Yeah... it would make sense that a diet of Corn might result in it swelling up in the digestive tract thus reducing the ability of the fish being able to gain nutrients from what they are consuming. However banning it as a bait makes no sense unless it goes through the digestive tract similar to the way it does in humans picking up bacteria as it does and impacting other fish in the food chain as they "recycle" it from the bottom. Be nice if we could hear from ODFW on this.

B
Born2Fish55
tomriker said:

I accidentally dropped a baloney & cheese sandwich into the water once, then tried to grab it back.... made a great chum trail and brought minnows in from everywhere to munch down on all of it!

T
troutmasta
Born2Fish55 said:
I accidentally dropped a baloney & cheese sandwich into the water once, then tried to grab it back.... made a great chum trail and brought minnows in from everywhere to munch down on all of it!

Awesome!

O
OnTheFly
Born2Fish55 said:
I'm surprised you didn't attract all the carp in there as well.:D