Update for Clackamas?

M
Modest_Man
ChezJfrey said:
Just barely man!

Still probably not optimal, but it's been dropping and a decent color where I was...a few more days and it looks like it might be a pretty good level.

If you want to float it let me know...I could use another vehicle. Either McIver to Barton or Barton to Carver.

W
waco
I was there monday and saw couple fish around! I'm going this evening again!!

T
troutmasta
Slayed em today! Fished up higher a little. Saw scores of chromers blazing through, hooked a nickel plated locomotive that spooled me and broke me off! Tons of old Winters as well. Landed probably 8 fish had an alright /old guy clipped fish literally swallow my corkie... Sealed his fate for the smoker. THE CLACK IS HEATING UP!

Last edited:
R
radke15
yes Kage just try using it as a dead drift and let it swing at the end.

Last edited:
K
Kage
Thanx for the response radke, I went out and got some round bobbers today and plan on headin out as soon as I can. Hopefully they'll be biting at Clackamette or Cross.

R
radke15
best of luck to you, i would say this, when you get the chance next time you need some bobbers grab the thin and long slip bobbers. they require a little more preparation but will suit you better for now when the fish are holding to the bottom and the river's deep. message me if you have any more questions about the setup.

K
Kage
Oh yah I was looking at those bobbers and I seen those being used just about all the time, I just didn't know what specific size I was gonna need, weight, etc. I was in a bit of a hurry too so I just grabbed what I've used before and hope that I can make it work out haha I've seen vids and read about how to set it up bobbers and jigs a few ways but I still was a little confused about it so I didn't want to get into that yet. I just might switch to trying those out if I keep on this dry spell though

R
radke15
yah that's totally fine. when you look at buying jigs aim for 1/4 ounce and then when you get the bobber just get the same 1/4 ounce and buy a few split shots so you can find a way to get the bobber sitting straight up.

K
Kage
Went out to Clackamette this morning at 6am, lots of boats heading out when I got there. Fished off the bank as usual, almost killed myself when I slipped on a rock and got twisted up and fell backwards into the water. I was upside down head first to the water for a few mins trying to free my leg and not fall all the way. I thought it woulda been embarrassing to have a boat drift by and spot me haha Almost twisted my knee and ankle, got some scraps and my rod/reel took a dip in the water :( So I'm wondering if I'll need to get it cleaned or not, it was only for about 2 secs. I DID get a real definitive bite finally, but I couldn't set the hook in time. Saw 2 fish jump but didn't get anything on my line. Went and looked at Cross Park and didn't stay long so I moved over to High Rock. Used a bobber and my spinner and gave myself a good few feet of line to sink the spinner. On one of my first casts I'm reeling in and looking at my spinner thinking wow that can't be my spinner it's too big. Ended up being a trout that hooked onto my line and I didn't even notice, not the season or the size so I set him on his way. At least I caught something and didn't get myself killed in the name of fishing haha

T
Tai
Did some steelhead slaying tonight, and even helped my little brother get into his first ever steelhead after 3 years of trying, lol. Keep it up Kage, you will hook into one soon enough.

Metalheads.jpg
Bobby.jpg

K
Kage
Nice pics there Tai, dammit I'm craving catching fish! I just went over to Great American Tackle and I got setup w/ some jigs so I'm heading over to Cross Park w/ new gear and new info on how to do this right.

Edit: Back from my trip, first cast with the jig setup and i break my rod tip. I clipped the rod down to the next eyelet down and I'm wondering how bad is this gonna affect the rod. Is it gonna be less sensitive to bites now? Also when tying the jigs, am I supposed to tie it so that the jig is presented horizontally? The jig is supposed to float downstream/behind the float correct?

Last edited:
T
Tai
LoL, OUCH I know the pain of breaking that tip, more than once too:lol:. In both cases I broke the tip near the original end or in the middle between the original end and the second eye. What I did was remove the "Tip Eye" and placed it onto the new end. That way I could still keep the shape of the Tip eye and a little bit of the length. That is of course you didn't break off near the second eye than just cutting it off there is fine, lol. As for sensitivity, for float fishing it doesn't bother me much since I use a bobber for indication and it doesn't seem to be effecting the fight with a fish. For drifting and spinning, I notice that there is a bit more stiffness when feeling for the bottom, but it isn't that bad.

For the bobber and jig setup you are asking about, you have the right idea. Try to tie the jig so it is presented horizontally. I usually give myself quite a bit of leader to work with depending on the depths. I change my jig type about every 15-20 minutes, so maybe after an hour and half it will be time to tie an entirely new leader. Good Luck!