Update for Clackamas?

R
radke15
Hey guys I'm goin out this sunday, may try a little spinning and some fly fishing most likely nymphs and bobber jig setups. How's the fishing been? I'm thinking maybe the High rocks area or clackamette. By the way how high and the river speed and color? Should I be working more pink or more black on my lures lately? Thanks

Last edited:
K
Kage
I been going to Clackamette/Cross Park and High Rock and so far no luck w/ spinners. The water level was really high and was moving pretty good when I went, that was when it was raining every day though. I'm hoping things will settle down by Sunday cuz I'm off work and will more than likely be hitting Clackamette and Cross Park too. Maybe I'll see u there :D I'll be the asian dude in the Lakers hat.

R
radke15
Haha nice I'll probably see you there perhaps. I'll be in a white shirt and black jacket most likely with a camo beaney or old school dress hat... I'll have a friend there with me as well.

B
Big3d
gonna hit those spots tomorrow too. not sure what I'll be wearing but depending on how long i've been out I'll either be the 250 lb pasty white or lobster red guy with the goatee.

K
Kage
droppin off gf at work and i'll be headin down there to clackamette first...hope to see u guys there :D i'll be fishing off the bank

R
radke15
man i sure wish i were already fishing... i guess this is what happens when your ride doesn't want to get up that early on a sunday morning. somebody need to to explain to this lazy dude what real fisherman do....

K
Kage
went from clackamette park to mciver then to carver and no luck and lost some lures as usual. muddy waters for the most part and the water lvl still is high and movin fast. i've spent so much money on lost lures that this is getting discouraging haha, i'm heading out again tomorrow though so we'll see how that goes.

B
Big3d
I donated a dozen live sandshrimp to clackamette park yesterday. i was only there for about 4 hours and no bites, I'm just not sure how to hold onto those shrimp when i bring my line in through the terrible turbulance... thought about spinning but the lack of shoreline meant plunking/drifting bait for me.

K
Kage
Due to the fact that I have no idea how to setup any other way, I'm again goin with spinning. HOPEFULLY land something. Water level should be lower today at least then it was yesterday. I'll be out there til about 3 or so, might go mess around in that cove too

M
Modest_Man
Frankly, I'm waiting for the Estacada gauge to drop to around 13 feet. Water is still really high and projected to rise today through the next few days.

S
sheed
I was out at Cross Park on Sunday. No fish, no hits. The guy next to me didn' have any luck either.

K
Kage
Water level is just too high at the moment to get in any good spinner fishing going. Started at Clackamette Park then headed over to Cross Park but had some people taking in the sun in all the fishing spots so I called it a day and went home. Hoped the water was gonna drop but guess it went higher haha I was more methodical about my approach this time though at least. Temp check on the water, wrote down all the factors, conditions, etc for when I was actively fishing so at least I have it logged. I'll just spend the next few days tying up my other lures and reading up to be prepared for the next outing.

R
radke15
yah it sucks pretty bad right now. my friend and I went to cross park and then worked over to clackamette for a solid 8 hours with no luck. so far we're pretty down on the fishing in oregon since we've each logged 20 + hours with no bites... just buying my time for now till i go down to bend for the summer and try my luck on the deschutes fly fishing.

K
Kage
I go fishing every chance I get but the fact that I ALWAYS lose gear, it makes the cost add up pretty quick so I'm hesitant to go in less than desirable conditions for spinners. How do you go about fishing? What do you use? All I've ever used has been spinners but now I'm thinking of using a bobber and jigs, just need to learn how fish that way. I think one of these days I think we're bound to run into each other at Clackamette or Cross Park haha

R
radke15
just 2 months ago I'd never done a bobber and jig before in my life... much less fished with a spinning reel on a river. I too was always a spinner guy on the lakes with the occasional worm. but lately i've been on the fly fishing side only. you really need to do your research and put hours on the river... i'm still getting the hang of it and I'm sure I've probably spent at least 20+ hours watching videos and reading articles and updates to get a good understanding of this new kind of fishing to me. And yes there will be times when you wonder if you're doing everything wrong. if you've fishing to deep or shallow or in the completely wrong place and have absolutely no chance of catching any fish. but that's just how it is and eventually you'll have success and you can put that into you back pocket to use further on down the road. i wish you the best.
I

K
Kage
Yah i'm consistently fishing Clackamette and Cross Park so that I can get to know those sections of the river better. I won't venture further really until I know exactly how to fish those areas, I'll just slowly make my way up and around the area to find other spots to fish in. With the water high as it is, I actually thought of fishing like how I started in Oregon and just putting a bobber and spinner on my line. Same general idea as bobber and jig, kinda sorta right?

A
alm21
Big3d said:
I donated a dozen live sandshrimp to clackamette park yesterday. i was only there for about 4 hours and no bites, I'm just not sure how to hold onto those shrimp when i bring my line in through the terrible turbulance... thought about spinning but the lack of shoreline meant plunking/drifting bait for me.

Try cured prawns. They'll stay on a lot better for you.

C
ChezJfrey
This Clackamas is still on my 'list'! I have yet to nab a steelhead out of there, but came close to a biter this morning...but, close only counts in hand grenades.

About 6:45 a.m. had one follow my spoon all the way in. Spotted it coming toward me, but I was crouched, out of sight. Tried dropping the spoon for a split second, but fish wouldn't commit and eventually retreated slowly back from whence it came. Tried waiting for a bit, then another couple casts in the same spot, but nothing more.

Disassembled my rod and ready to leave when I saw a pod of 4 more cruise slowly into the same hold. Hmmm? Needed to go, but of course reassembled the rod and tried a few casts anyway :) Packed up again, and of course saw another cruise to a hold just downstream. But, really gotta go this time!

Still naught for Clackamas, but nice to have some interest in my OFFering and see a few fish around.

M
Modest_Man
I almost went out today, but saw that the water had risen overnight.

C
ChezJfrey
Just barely man!

Still probably not optimal, but it's been dropping and a decent color where I was...a few more days and it looks like it might be a pretty good level.