Umpqua strippers.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Any stripper fisher's from Oregon out there?? looking to hit the umpqua soon. I need ideas on how to, rigging n bait. Have a boat and a fellow V.N. vet, he used to fish for them from the bank years ago and I am in hopes of catching something. Not sure where to go yet.

Thanks in advance.

DLC

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
So...ummmm...these strippers you're looking to fish for...I would stay near the pole...or the rail...ummm...usually $20 bills or bigger are the best bait...from what I hear, but anything smaller than a $20 might get you tossed out by a big, burly bouncer...
Or, maybe you were thinking about going STRIPER fishing? :D :popcorn:

T
TimberTodd
I remember someone making that same typo error a few years ago:). Look at the Smith river down around Reedsport also. The striper runs are not what they use to be unfortunately. We use to fish the Coos river at night for them.

1 nut in the water
Of all the trips I have done on the Umpqua I have yet to see a stripper. Not really my thing anyhow. Kinda disgusting when there are certainly thousands of quality fish in the water.
Took me a few tries but I definitely found a keeper.

troutdude
troutdude
Ha ha! Yep; that previous Stripper post was made by Thuggin4Life.

Back in the 70's, my uncle nabbed a 40 pounder in the Smith River. Give it a go.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've skinny dipped in the Umpqua, does that count?

jamisonace
jamisonace
My parents neighbor would regularly bring them striped meat from 40+ pound fish. They are in there.

troutdude said:
Ha ha! Yep; that previous Stripper post was made by Thuggin4Life.

Back in the 70's, my uncle nabbed a 40 pounder in the Smith River. Give it a go.

D
DrTheopolis
It's like deja vu all over again.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
No no no...That is STRRIPERS not STRIPERS. gEEZ I thinks somebody should get there mind out of the small area used to guide water along a street. ;-0>

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
In order to keep out of trouble, let me clarify this a little. I am no longer in the Navy, this is not about a port call, we are not at Crazy Eddie's in Point Loma. I am after that thingie that swims and lives in the water and comes up river for what ever reason. I am just glad somebody did not suggest Dupont spinners as they are rather hard to come by. However if I could get by for as little as I used to in the past I would really really be happy. In Olongapo a good night was about $5 and a rip snorter with all the trimmings could be had for around $20. I must admit that night down in Panama at the west end of the canal was a bit on expensive side and no "strripers" around, dang cab ride was $40 just for a mile but oh was I sick and left him a present. 18, Rum and the last one I chugged was a bamboo style glass with no coke and no ice. Still cannot stand the smell or taste of rum and that was back in 66. Getting hammered in the afternoon in an air condidition bar in the summer down at the Panama Canal, not a good idea.

C
ChezJfrey
TimberTodd said:
I remember someone making that same typo error a few years ago:).

LOL, exactly...I remember that one from Thuggin4Life. That thread turned out fun.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sorry, Charlie...I simply could not resist poking a little fun at your typo. I do hope some members can get past all the fun and offer some actual fun. Thanks for being a good sport. :peace:

M
mhk
Talk to Ken down at Ken's Rod & Reel repair in Reedsport, I was there yesterday and was talking to him about that very subject. His son does quite well fishing for stripers thruout the river just be be prepared to be there awhile as he had a lot of old rods and reels he will want to show you.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Oh man I need to get a definition check for my thingie. Sory bout thet.

G
Gulfstream
I would like to see more input on this fishery!