Umpqua pig!

N
nwkiller
wow, nice fish

C
crusty old fisherman
how the heck did ya get that thing to hold still long enough to hang it from the hook on the scales ?

H
Halfthrive
crusty old fisherman said:
how the heck did ya get that thing to hold still long enough to hang it from the hook on the scales ?

I have one of those Rapala scales that grips the tip of their jaws and takes the weight at the same time. Really handy when u want to weigh a fish that u intend to release.

N
nwkiller
Too no one

Too no one

NEVER slip a scale through a gil of a native fish u intend to release or any fish you intend to release for that matter. NEVER mess with gills of fish yoiur are going to release........just saying!

ps, those jaw clamp scales are sweet.......but i like to guess the weight of fish im going to release, quick pic and gone

F-ing amazing fish halfthrive:cool:

C
crusty old fisherman
i wasn't going to say anything because i am not familiar with that tupe of scale but i am of the beliefe that hanging a fish from its jaw or gills isn't all that good for them I have picked up big old pigs I have whacked and when i lift them by their lower jaw I can feel things snapping inside them.

the best way to weight them is with a mesh cradell in my opinion , but i generally dont even remove fish i am going to release from the water I just snap a quick pic of them in the water and then off they go.

N
nwkiller
i agree with COF

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
nwkiller said:
i agree with COF

I do as well.

I was advised to bring a bunch of plastic trash bags. Scoop them into that, hang it from the scale, release the fish and throw away the bag. Done. Of course, use a fresh bag every time.

T
Thuggin4Life
With that fish being over 20lbs you are gonna need to carry a card in you wallet that reads..."hog status".

T
Thuggin4Life
Halfthrive said:
Sadly it only took about 6 minutes. I broke both my steelhead plug rods so I've been using my salmon plug rods. Pretty heavy for steel, even the big ones, but its all I got.

Thats too bad. I have an undersized rod that I have rigged up for umpqua plunking. has 20lb main and my leaders are all 17lb. Got to fight a monster for at least 25 minutes at day break got him to the bank 3 times and was getting wore out so i started to horse him the last time and his teeth cut trough my leader 8 feet from the bank. Wish i had my salmon rod that day.seriously i want my hook back though.

N
nwkiller
Thuggin4Life said:
With that fish being over 20lbs you are gonna need to carry a card in you wallet that reads..."hog status".

lmao

M
Moe
Nice HOG man, congrats!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
P
Phil_Bud
nice pig bro!

H
halibuthitman
the best way to weight large fish that you used a net on is to just hook the scale to the web of the net, lift, weight, unhook the fish and release, all with the same amount of handling required to release a netted fish.

N
nwkiller
hell ya halibuthitman

H
Halfthrive
halibuthitman said:
the best way to weight large fish that you used a net on is to just hook the scale to the web of the net, lift, weight, unhook the fish and release, all with the same amount of handling required to release a netted fish.

I like that, looks like I got a new method of weighing fish I want to release. Thanks man.

F
fishingfreak
NIce Job! Great Looking fish!

X
XFactorTackle
Halfthrive said:
Caught this dominator steelhead today on the umpqua. Went a little old school and pulled plugs instead of side drifting.
_139613746101259_100001579030836_251871_3619206_n1.jpg

Nice job! That's a good day in my book.

X
XFactorTackle
halibuthitman said:

That's a great idea Halibuthitman, I'm going to use that one.