Umpqua drifts

F
fishinandfootball
Hey guys so I bought my first drift boat about a month ago and have taken it out just a handful of times on the siuslaw. I've been exploring the umpqua lately and was wondering if anyone fishes the James woods to osprey run? I am just a rookie on the oars so I would like to know if it's any more difficult than Whittaker to wildcat run? And is it a whole day drift or just a few hours? If its am decently easy drift then I plan on makin a run at my first umpqua steelhead soon. So if any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ryan.

O
OnTheDrop
fishinandfootball said:
Hey guys so I bought my first drift boat about a month ago and have taken it out just a handful of times on the siuslaw. I've been exploring the umpqua lately and was wondering if anyone fishes the James woods to osprey run? I am just a rookie on the oars so I would like to know if it's any more difficult than Whittaker to wildcat run? And is it a whole day drift or just a few hours? If its am decently easy drift then I plan on makin a run at my first umpqua steelhead soon. So if any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ryan.

Hey man, well I personally have no experience in that area but I do know a few who do. I will give them a buzz for you. And since I moved a little farther south I planned on doing some fishing this winter for some big natives down on the Ump and Rogue. I'm semi-experienced behind the sticks and have ran several coastal and valley rivers here in Oregon. Shoot me a PM if your headed down that way I'd be more than willing to share some pointers and stick some chrome with ya. Tight Lines

F
fishinandfootball
Alright thanks a lot! I'll let you know when I'm heading down there.

O
OnTheDrop
Well I just did a snip of research. Its a 12 mile drift... So your definently looking at a full day event here. Also, I can't find anything that says its a difficult run just kind of annoying how long it is so you def can't stop at all spots. This is from some old Ifish Archives that came up when I searched on Google. Some were taking there toons down it too.

Last edited:
F
fishinandfootball
Oh wow that's definatly a long way. A little to long for my liking.

O
OnTheDrop
It looks like theres a boat ramp a few miles up from the James ramp. That may be a good option..

F
fishinandfootball
Sweet I'll check that out.

H
halibuthitman
call a river shuttle and ask them if there is a way to shorten the float... ramps and slides are for sissys... got a winch?

P
plumb2fish
Woods to Osprey is a great float. Nothing too technical. You may want a kicker as there are a few great side drifting runs that you will want to hit twice. There is also lots of plug water, bobber/jig water and drift fishing water. If you like hardware, you should be in heaven. $25 for a shuttle and there is no cell service on most of the float. Your best bet is to do the whole run, the other take outs are private I believe.

F
fishinandfootball
Thanks a lot! So you think it's prolly an allday run then?

P
plumb2fish
4-5 hrs straight through....not really fishing....in 8 hrs you can cover it well enough to feel like you at least drug a line through most of the fishy looking water.