Tying with limited materials?

F
fish_4_all
My best advice, don't be so critical on what you tie. Some of my ugliest and seemingly worthless flies have caught some of the biggest fish. Often times what looks like a loser will be the one the fish decide to hit for the day or year.

My biggest steelhead on a fly was on an egg sucking leech that looked more like I glued the entire can of remnants of hackle and marabou to the shank and called it good. Granted it was on a float that is worked but still....

D
damonspreng
Heading to river city fly shop today to puck up some new stuff like marabou chneille.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
Sinkline said:
... and frankly (sorry Jim), there is room for improvement. But, on our last trip where Jim used his own flies for the first time he caught more fish than me, and the largest fish (Gosh I hate it when that happens :lol:)!

Hmmmm, so given this revelation, it's not necessarily Jim that has this 'room for improvement' then? LOL ;)

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
Sinkline said:
I have no room for improvement. If you look-up the term, "set in his ways", you will see my picture! :lol:

Randy

Hehehe...but seriously, your tying skills are superb judging from the photos I've seen of your work.

D
damonspreng
Spent 100 bucks and the guy took ten off... I have plenty of stuff now only forgot 2 things a higher quality bobbin and o rings for some strike indicators but those I can get elsewhere.

On another good note caught a 2 lbs smallie and a 4 lbs bucketmouth out of my private pond on my own flies ugly but they worked...thanks everyone

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
D
damonspreng
Speaking of threads... What's a good thread for me to be using for all around tying? 3/0, 6/0? Monocord??

F
fish_4_all
140 flat waxed, I use Danville and I can tie pretty much anything from a 5/0 down to a size 22 with it, sometimes smaller.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
D
damonspreng
Ok well I know what to get now thanks...

Wish it want an hour out of the way to any fly shop.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
I use a 6/0 which works well for most sizes. If you tie i think 18 and smaller dries an 8/0 would be good. If you want to tie deer hair poppers or anything involving spun deer hair. I would go 3/0 or aramid(kevlar)

brandon4455
brandon4455
6/0 and 8/0 for trout /panfish patterns. i use 2/0for steelhead and bass x2 on the caddis fly shops online store. shipping is free with orders over $25

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I use 6/0 Danville almost exclusively for everything but bass bugs anymore. I used to use 3/0 - but 6/0 gives you finer, smaller heads, and works just as well. If I'm tying up bass bugs or stuff that really calls for strong thread, I use waxed kevlar thread.

I use black 90% of the time, but other staple colors are red, tan, and yellow.