My first tied flys!! Woot woot!!

Gunga
Gunga
So yesterday i got my fly tying kit i ordered it came with all the tools etc. i put the vise together which is 3 pieces. The base, the screw in tube that also has a screw hole plus screw on the side to keep the vise and its shaft from rotating. Problem was the screw hole and the screw on the side was defective only cause it came with a bad screw. The first centimeter of the screw had smushed threads that my uncle fixed with a screw cutter. so it all works now.

i tied up 4 flies in two hours. I know really slow right :lol::lol:

Three of them were attempts at 3 different versions of the pheasant tail pattern (my favorite fly right now).

The first one was an attempt at the pheasant tail flash back. kinda came out right.

The second was a bead head pheasant tail with copper ribbing. and the third attempt i didn't actually use any pheasant tail, i used purple marabou. I wanted to mix it up :lol:

The fourth fly i used olive and purple hackle. olive for the tail part and purple for the body. I have not the slightest clue what pattern it is. i just wanted to make one by myself.

I didn't get a picture of the purple pheasant tail cause my battery died.

Hope you like the pics.

• DSCN5275.jpg
  • DSCN5276.jpg
  • DSCN5271.jpg
troutdude
troutdude
I had a hunch, that it wouldn't take you long to start tying--after your unc's post. Man, that beadhead looks better than ones in my books! Nicely done. And purple is a favorite color the Ho clan; so go get yourself a salmon!

Gunga
Gunga
hmm i wonder if a size 12 hook will land a salmon. lol that would be an adventure i wouldn't mind undertaking. Are your referring to the post about him catching a steelhead? I'm not sure if thats the post your talking about but im positive thats the one. I can't wait to get out and catch a fish those flies. Tomorrow i am definitely tying up some more.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
#12 hook landed steel, so it might land a salmon :p

troutdude
troutdude
Yeah, a size 12 is probably ok for a Ho. But, I'd go no smaller than a size 4 for a Fall Nook. A 40 pounder would have no trouble straightening a size 12!

What? Spell checker doesn't recognize the word "pounder". Obviously that code writer was NO fisherpeep!!!

O
OnTheFly
Not a bad start Tyler keep practicing. Here's a few tips for your next round of tying: Your hook is positioned too deep in your vise. Clamp it down at the bend of the hook like the one in my avatar. Don't start the thread at the hook eye but rather just below. This will give you room for head space when you finish the fly. Wind the thread all the way down until the thread hangs at the barb. This is the most common spot to tie on tail fibers for most flies. The length of your tail looks good and remember the gage is the distance between the hook tip to the hook eye. Your dubbing looks good and remember also to add it light. You can always add more as you go. Caution: Fly tying is addicting!

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Linky no worky (as in, it isn't appearing for me).

Ty - check out the blog "Fly Tying Journal" on my blog roll - Martin is a dern good tyer, and has lots of patterns listed on his site. Good inspiration!

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for the heads up mark. i got the link up. tyler, once you feel you have got the hang of some basic skills like wrapping hackle,dubbing materials onto the hook and ribbing a fly etc, try the possie bugger ( a fly in the link i provided) im ordering the materials to tie some for the first time myself,but it looks like a fun tie and is the best beadhead nymph pattern i have used to date. never leave home without em anymore. you can use ice dub on the body and cdc for the hackle plus rubber legs instead of using the original recipie and it works just as well if not better sometimes. another favorite is the soft hackle. soft hackles are simple,fun to tie and very effective. and plus, it's always fun to have a large trout tug your whole arm when he strikes the soft hackle while it is swinging through the water column. have fun with it and don't be afraid to experiment, i look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Last edited:
J
john montana
Congrats man...tying is a great way to be fishing in the middle of a football or basketball game!

Gunga
Gunga
THANKS ALL!!!! i was only up to doing a few more flies tonight. I have been really bummed today... I saw my dad for the last time for most likely awhile. He is going to be designated to a federal prison very soon... either sheridan or in cali.... im hoping for sheridan cause i will be able to see him once in awhile, but if he goes to cali i will be SOL... i tried my hand at a pheasant tailed wooly bugger with peacock body and purple hackle. with fine copper ribbing and a few more pheasant tails to.

S
Sinkline
Good job on your first patterns!

One more tip in addition to what OTF mentioned. Learn the pinch method for wrapping down your tail fibers and your tails won't get pulled over to the side of the hook shank. Looking good, keep at it!

Randy

L
lilsalmon
good job.....I am sitting here staring over the top of my vice at the puter screen. I really need to tie some elk hair caddis since there aint a one in my fly box. Keep it up...

Gunga
Gunga
im trying to get wooly buggers and pheasant tails down really good. the pheasant tails are coming along quite nicely. the wooly buggers are to but i dont have all the right materials for them so im having to improvise with them a little. like instead of dubbing or chenile for the body i have been using peacock herl. I have spent a lot of today tying but im taking a break for a couple hours.