Cut price tying supplies.

G
Growbug
I was out with the family over the weekend hunting craft supplies for the kids.
In Micheals and JoAnns, looking around three sections which covered
Embroidery, sewing, beading and crafts
I was able to fill a small bag with puffballs, all kids of feathers including hackles, peacock herl, maribou (all sorts), chenille, beads (brass, copper, plastic, etc), tinsel, deer hair, etc.. etc..
Total cost out of the door .... $45

I have already run through 2 packs of streamer hooks making loads of leeches, buggers, etc., etc.

For a starter in the hobby of tying, i am happy that i seem to have got a good stash of supplies for a lot less that i budgeted through Fishermans, and all close to home.

Anyone else use these places for supplies?

I also have access to LOADS of brushed dog hair and LOTS of horse hair.
Are these any use for anything?

------
edit...
i can't stop looking at the rooster in the yard (jet black Australorp with green highlights) and seeing FEATHERS!!!

O
Outdoor_Myers
Growbug said:
I was out with the family over the weekend hunting craft supplies for the kids.
In Micheals and JoAnns, looking around three sections which covered
Embroidery, sewing, beading and crafts
I was able to fill a small bag with puffballs, all kids of feathers including hackles, peacock herl, maribou (all sorts), chenille, beads (brass, copper, plastic, etc), tinsel, deer hair, etc.. etc..
Total cost out of the door .... $45

I have already run through 2 packs of streamer hooks making loads of leeches, buggers, etc., etc.

For a starter in the hobby of tying, i am happy that i seem to have got a good stash of supplies for a lot less that i budgeted through Fishermans, and all close to home.

Anyone else use these places for supplies?

I also have access to LOADS of brushed dog hair and LOTS of horse hair.
Are these any use for anything?

------
edit...
i can't stop looking at the rooster in the yard (jet black Australorp with green highlights) and seeing FEATHERS!!!

back in iowa I used shad in the winter put them in a bucket to decay then added eggs, corn syrup and horse hair to make good stink bait for catfish lol dont know anything about flyfishing though sorry :(

J
JeannaJigs
Growbug;82734i can't stop looking at the rooster in the yard (jet black Australorp with green highlights) and seeing FEATHERS!!![/QUOTE said:
You know you want to...

..think of all those beautimus feathers. Lol

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'll check them out. I hit the dollar store for clear nail polish, It works great for head cement and is only a buck.

F
FishFinger
Growbug said:

Lol, reminds me of my early days collecting materials as well. I got the green light to harvest a rooster and and few hens from my buddies farm back in the early '80s. I came to discover the the feather overall were much too webbed and the fiber length too long for anything smaller than perhaps a # 6 mustad. While I still have them in the recesses of my collection I seldom use them.

While expensive good quality neck and saddle hackles are worth the "price" IMHO.

Aside from hackle material, I've had great success acquiring a slew of materials from friends who hunt. A few things include, turkey, duck, goose, pheasant, peacock, rabbit, deer, and elk. (all in natural colors, as dyeing is beyond my skill level)

Top Bottom