TubTrugs hatch buckets

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I got tipped OFF to these flexible TubTrug buckets on the NW kayaking forum and wanted to post what I did in case others might be looking for a bucket for a boat hatch...our Fred Meyer has the TubTrugs out in the garden section.

they come in many sizes.

I got a Medium 26L for $15 to try in the front hatch of our Hobie Oasis, hatch perimeter is about 34" and depth is 12" to bottom of the hull. I trimmed the top 1inch off the TubTrug, smashed it through the hatch, flat on the bottom, got the edges to pop up in the front and both sides, then secured it across the back of the hatch with a bit of duct tape.

For the 8" round hatch on our Hobies, I got a Small 14L for $12, trimmed 2" off the top, removed the hatch and pushed the bucket down onto the hull bottom and replaced the hatch.

these TubTrugs are very flexible and easy to cut, I am looking forward to having extra space under my kayak hatches and not having stuff slide around inside the kayak hull...cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
J
JonT
Nice. What kind of kayak is that. I am thinking about pulling the trigger soon (I left my 2 back in Texas).

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
JonT said:
Nice. What kind of kayak is that. I am thinking about pulling the trigger soon (I left my 2 back in Texas).

hi Jon-

that is our 2012 Hobie Oasis that we bought in Jan., my wife and I have been out in it together a couple times and it is fun, we plan to use it to go for "hikes on the water"; I am also planning to take it into the ocean solo later this summer, hopefully to do some salmon trolling out past the Siuslaw bar...my Hobie PA12 is rigged for all sorts of fishing, I can spend all day cruising in it and it is great in big wind waves and guide boat wakes but is just a little heavy and wide for ocean swells....

what yaks did you have? roger

E
eugene1
Looks like a custom fit!

Nice,

J
JonT
rogerdodger said:
hi Jon-

that is our 2012 Hobie Oasis that we bought in Jan., my wife and I have been out in it together a couple times and it is fun, we plan to use it to go for "hikes on the water"; I am also planning to take it into the ocean solo later this summer, hopefully to do some salmon trolling out past the Siuslaw bar...my Hobie PA12 is rigged for all sorts of fishing, I can spend all day cruising in it and it is great in big wind waves and guide boat wakes but is just a little heavy and wide for ocean swells....

what yaks did you have? roger

I had a 2002 Wilderness Systems The Ride and a 2013 Diablo Adios totally tricked out for fly fishing. I just couldn't fit either of them on my vehicle, so I have friends happily looking after them. I might try to get the Adios shipped, but after whatever that costs, it might just be worthwhile to buy a new one here. I did a lot of fishing in the Gulf when I lived in Florida in the Ride.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
JonT said:
I had a 2002 Wilderness Systems The Ride and a 2013 Diablo Adios totally tricked out for fly fishing. I just couldn't fit either of them on my vehicle, so I have friends happily looking after them. I might try to get the Adios shipped, but after whatever that costs, it might just be worthwhile to buy a new one here. I did a lot of fishing in the Gulf when I lived in Florida in the Ride.

excellent, have you checked out the NWKA forum, great for kayak specific info and lots of Columbia River and Puget Sound folks on there... cheers, roger

bass
bass
Great idea Roger, thanks for sharing.