Tualatin River Fishing

L
Linda
mouth of Tualatin?

mouth of Tualatin?

Is that where it meets Willamette?I do know where the hawk flies.Pretty cloudy today,maybee I will try my luck at Tualatin in a shady spot.If I catch any I will take pics,thanks,Linda:)

J
JTLunker
Welcome Linda. I have seen some Cats caught at Cook park off the beach by a small park bench. I think they were just using worms.

F
FishSchooler
All the squaws and suckers will suck your worms before the cats can though!:lol:

L
Linda
Teenager to the rescue

Teenager to the rescue

My 18 year old know it all(and he is pretty good when it comes to catchin fish)has just informed me that he and his friend are driving over from Olympia.So Ill wait,had my fun with suckers before,when I was a teen my brother and I would throw line over a bridge in Colorado-Roaring fork river near Carbondale.We hoped for trout but always got suckers.Suckers suck!Are they an endagered species or ?Anyone ever tasted one?
just drove to Cook Park but soooo crowded with parties,sporting events.Not a lot of water action seen.Going to ride bikes down there so we can get a good spot and exercise too.If we catch we can always drive back to haul dinner back home.

L
Linda
Question about blue gill

Question about blue gill

You all will think I am silly but a few years ago my son and his friends caught about 10 blue gill at Battleground lake in Wa.They brought them to me alive.I did not really to eat them so I got a kiddie pool and kept them for about 8 weeks.After that long it got a bit tiring to feed and clean after them.
fast forward to today.I am styling with a nice pond in backyard,have 4 channel cats bought at pet store but they are 7-10 inches long now.Is it legal to catch blue gill and keep them as pets instead of eating.They are pretty and easy keepers.?Anyone know?:think:

F
FishSchooler
I think you are allowed to keep bluegill, since they are just like baitfish and all, but just dont take too many! maybe 20 is enough to keep a sustained pop in a small pond.
Oh yeah, I ate suckers before, they arent that bad, but I wouldnt call them that great either. They have nice texture, but not that good of a taste. But the meat is reallllllly tender, and tasty if you cook them the right way!

L
Linda
Thanks

Thanks

Cool,never thought of eating a sucker,maybee they would be good with marinade?since texture is good,need flavor enhancement.Went to Tualatin but only lost a few hooks and sinkers,darn snags.One jumping fish right under rail road tracks but no way I could get it,too many trees,weeds,etc.The sewer plant is right across from it and it makes me think the fish are full of shi:naughty:

F
FishSchooler
Lol! you need a bobber to catch without snags, But if you stick a 1 ounce cannon ball on the bottom of your line, then 2 hooks forkin off the mainline with worms, Just cast it upstream 45 degrees and wait. You will get snags, but just wait as long as you can, even if you're in a snag. The fish will eat the worm, unsnaggin it a lot. If you want bass, spinnerbaits or really shallow divin cranks or plugs are the way.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Uh,oh....

Uh,oh....

FishSchooler said:
I think you are allowed to keep bluegill, since they are just like baitfish and all, but just dont take too many! maybe 20 is enough to keep a sustained pop in a small pond.
Oh yeah, I ate suckers before, they arent that bad, but I wouldnt call them that great either. They have nice texture, but not that good of a taste. But the meat is reallllllly tender, and tasty if you cook them the right way!

I think the regs say you are not allowed to transport live gamefish from the water of origin (you have to leave them where you find them). Sorry to pop anyone's bubble.
By the way, welcome to OFF, Linda. It's good to have more women here.
Barb

F
FishSchooler
If they can't be live... Flash freeze em on the river then flash un freeze em in your house!!! They arent alive when you transport! :lol::lol::lol:

C
chris61182
I went out to Rood Bridge Park today after work, the water was up a few inches but flowing a lot faster, colder, and muddier than it has been for some time. The perch weren't hanging out in their usual spots, but I did land a bass on a 3/16oz spinner bait. Of course the bass flopped off the hook while I was digging the camera out, and then I lost the spinner bait on the very next cast :(!

You can tell that the water is colder than usual just from the way the fish was fighting. It basically didn't fight back until I got it to the surface, and then it was two less than half-hearted runs and it was over, just I've never had a bass in Oregon fight so pathetically before.

Also last night I respooled my reel with some fresh line, and instead of usual 10lb Power Pro or Spiderwire, I tried something new, 8lb Whiplash pro. This stuff casts like an absolute dream! The best I can describe it as, is casting your lure with out the line. My only complaint is the knot strength, either that or by pure luck I ran my line over start corner of a rock when I lost my spinner bait. Which I guess just means I need to finally learn the palomar knot as my personally modified clinch knot just isn't cutting it with this line.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yeah, with Spectre type braids, the good 'ol Clinch , and variations there of, just slip, no matter how many times you seat the knot, or how many times you go back through here, or there. The palomar is what I have since been forced to use when running small diameter braid. I suppose it is a good knot, never lost anythig from a knot failure, but still, I like the old standards sometimes.

C
chris61182
So far the clinch knot I use seems to work quite well with all the braids I've used up to this point. In a nutshell, tie an improved clinch knot just like usual but take the tag end and tie two overhand knots to the mainline above the coil and tighten them down onto the coil but don't over do it. The clinch knot is what provides the real holding power, while the overhand knots just jam it in place.

With that knot I usually bend the hook, or if I do break the line it's usually not at the knot but what I assume is the start of a fray, or an actual fray when I'm being lazy and haven't retied yet, which usual happens right after I say one more cast and I'll retie then I watch my lure sail into the opposing bank's brush :rolleyes:.

F
Fishtopher
I switched to p-knot two months ago and havent looked back! Super easy to tie. Especially in the dark...

F
FishSchooler
First decent bass spit the hook today at cook park... i am mad... :mad: Caught on a tricked up and modded senko first cast. :D Rawr, also mad cause this new bomber I bought didn't float... waste of money... this one was supposed to float... The bass leaped like 2.5 feet high and boom, hook was out.

H
Hawk
I learned to tie the clinch knot when i was about 7 in the cub scouts. its bean my favorite knot ever since..............................:lol::lol::lol:

S
shonuf
Tualatin River

I read that the state record white catfish was caught out of the tualatin. Not a cat species I am familiar with. I fish a lot of Bass and catfish when I lived in California. Does anyone know of any deep holes? I have a fish hunter raft and cheap depth finder, thinking of letting off from cooks park. I mostly used chicken liver for cats, but does anyone have any other baits that might work better?

Oh, the record white cat was 28.5 lbs, it would make a nice picture, but I doubt I'd eat anything from that river. The only thing I've caught were a smallie and a large mouth, probably not even 10" put together.

F
FishFinger
fishing in Tualatin/White cat fish

fishing in Tualatin/White cat fish

I am pretty sure a white catfish is the same as an albino channel catfish.Just a mutant without the normal pigment, like other albino species.I can see where they could survive in the Tualatin because its so murkey.In other clearer places they would be seen easily.I have 2 albino cats in my backyard pond---they came from a fish store/pet shop and were 4 inches, now they are 8 -9 inches.They like to hide but its fun to watch when they come out... they are not picky eaters.

W
Webwader
FishFinger said:
I am pretty sure a white catfish is the same as an albino channel catfish.Just a mutant without the normal pigment, like other albino species.I can see where they could survive in the Tualatin because its so murkey.In other clearer places they would be seen easily.I have 2 albino cats in my backyard pond---they came from a fish store/pet shop and were 4 inches, now they are 8 -9 inches.They like to hide but its fun to watch when they come out... they are not picky eaters.

White catfish are a species, not mutants. See White Catfish. I believe they were stocked in the Tualatin many years ago but never took hold. I doubt if there are any left now.

S
shonuf
cats

cats

What kinds of cat species are in the tualatin, flatheads or bulls. Doesn't seem like the right type of water for channels to thrive.