Tualatin River Fishing

J
JBean
The steelhead the guy pulled out was a native.....apparently he went walking up toward the parking lot with it. The park worker guy asked him what he was doing, that the fish was :confused:native, he needed to put it back! The fisherman said, "why, what is it?" Sheesh, I can't get a steelie when I try, and that guy didn't even know what he had?!! Crazy.

Troutski
Troutski
Rules and reg's

Rules and reg's

Most people think that just buying a angling lic. allows them to catch fish and keep them. They don't know that there is a book shelf full of the rules and regs. on the fresh and salt water species in Oregon. The synopsis you get when you buy your license is a small sampling of the total, when in doubt I always ask. That is why they are there, to answer our questions - and we have plenty. I never hesitate to call and ask, I have my local office on my cell speed dial ;). I was taught many years ago that for any reason you disagree or don't like a law or rule; change it, don't break it.. Just my opinion, but it has served me well over the years.

Chuck

C
cavdad45
If you won't fish a body of water because someone died there, you might as well give up on the Willamette, Trask, Yamhill, and Columbia Rivers as well as Hagg Lake and Walter Wirth Pond. All those places had fatalities last season.

As far as eating anything from the Tualatin...No!!! I don't eat fish very often (usually on vacation in Mexico or the Caribbean) and I get all the crawdads my heart desires from Timothy Lake. I still love fishing the Tualatin because of its abundance of bass and its close by.

Wilsonriverfisher
Wilsonriverfisher
i love the tualatin but of course all fish go back.:D

J
JBean
I feel the same, and all fish go back for me too. If I caught a salmon I would eat it (if it was fin clipped of course) gotta love salmon on a cedar plank on the barbeque!:D

P
phillk6751
i don't suppose you release the squawfish too do you? I kill em....throw em in blackberry bushes.

T
tdspence
Is there any good spots to fish the tualatin near hillsboro? thanks

Wilsonriverfisher
Wilsonriverfisher
ok but the only odd thing is the squawfish is native to the area and the blackberries are a invasive species. So you are taking a Native species squawfish and killing it and then going ahead and fertilizing a non-native invasive species blACKberries :naughty:
phillk6751 said:
i don't suppose you release the squawfish too do you? I kill em....throw em in blackberry bushes.

Troutski
Troutski
Other Species

Other Species

Funny how we as humans think some species are not worth anything and others are.....it wasn't fifty years ago the BullTrout was considered a junk fish and people would catch them and toss them on shore and left to rot, now they are listed on the endangered species list and millions of dollars are being spent trying to reestablish them back into the system. It is probably how the Blackberries got there hold; all that fresh fertilizer . The point is that most species are native to this planet and we should treat them all with respect. That's right even the Lawyers...;) Just my opinion.

Chuck

C
cavdad45
Troutski said:
Funny how we as humans think some species are not worth anything and others are.....it wasn't fifty years ago the BullTrout was considered a junk fish and people would catch them and toss them on shore and left to rot, now they are listed on the endangered species list and millions of dollars are being spent trying to reestablish them back into the system. It is probably how the Blackberries got there hold; all that fresh fertilizer . The point is that most species are native to this planet and we should treat them all with respect. That's right even the Lawyers...;) Just my opinion.

Chuck

Totally agree! I'm not a native species in the Northwest, either. (...and we are an Oregon Trail family.)

J
JBean
Went to Cook park yesterday (Sun.) Wow was it busy. I have never seen so many people fishing there. I think the word is out....It was frustrating in that most of these people were using worms. A Washington county sheriff came through while we were getting the canoe out (the motor works on it! sooo cool.) Anyway, the sheriff was checking for licenses. On his way out we asked if he had ticketed them for fishing with bait. He didn't even know about the new date of May 24th. The guys just kept fishing with worms. On our way back we saw plenty of others with worms out. What do you think on this? I didn't have a number to fish and game with me, and the sheriff had been out....but, if I had had the number, should I have called? Curious on your opinions.:think:

Wilsonriverfisher
Wilsonriverfisher
Yeah no bait in the tualatin until trout season starts. There really is a very very small chance of hooking a salmon or steelhead during these times so they impose a bait ban. We could have discussion of if it is really a needed rule? I do not think it is because the fishing pressure is so light anyway. Most of the times with a work and hook and weight you are going to be in the zone for bottom fish such as Catfish, squawfish.:D

S
Silverblade
Wilsonriverfisher said:
Yeah no bait in the tualatin until trout season starts. There really is a very very small chance of hooking a salmon or steelhead during these times so they impose a bait ban. We could have discussion of if it is really a needed rule? I do not think it is because the fishing pressure is so light anyway. Most of the times with a work and hook and weight you are going to be in the zone for bottom fish such as Catfish, squawfish.:D

Do we follow laws we like and just break ones we think are silly or don't like? Just asking. Most of us do it all the time when driving, why not when fishing?

C
cavdad45
Has anyone fished the Tualatin this season? What are the current temps?

F
FishSchooler
What lures do you use for the trout and bass/panfish in the river? I'm going there tomarrow(mother's day of 2008) hoping for some fish to eat or take pictures of. Please reply quickly, PM me if you'd like. I have Senkos, rapallas, rooster tails, BooYah spinnerbaits, bombers, powerbait, Balls o' fire(red salmon eggs), Berkley Gulp minnows (chartruese), colorful jigs, little tube things for panfish, and flies. What should I use?:think:

Planning for the bank in Cook Park.

Last edited:
H
Hawk
I haven't fished yer area................but in the South Umpqua & Cow Creek i've caught SM Bass with ...........soft plastics, grubs, worms working slow (slower) on the bottom...............crawbugs,.................lizards..................leeches at times

shallow diving Rapala lures in earth colors.................crankbaits...................spinnerbaits........

if'n those don't werk...............try whatever yuu have...........

Best O Luck BRO....................

Catch a Big'UN Lunker.............

Hav a Fantastic Day............................:lol::lol::lol::lol:......................:cool:

C
cavdad45
FishSchooler said:
What lures do you use for the trout and bass/panfish in the river? I'm going there tomarrow(mother's day of 2008) hoping for some fish to eat or take pictures of. Please reply quickly, PM me if you'd like. I have Senkos, rapallas, rooster tails, BooYah spinnerbaits, bombers, powerbait, Balls o' fire(red salmon eggs), Berkley Gulp minnows (chartruese), colorful jigs, little tube things for panfish, and flies. What should I use?:think:

Planning for the bank in Cook Park.

I use a lot of Rat-L-Traps, spinnerbaits, and tube jigs for bass in the Tualatin. Never looked for trout.

N
Nelson
T-Wally

T-Wally

I heard about the T-Wally, fished it once during sept, I think.....
I caught the biggest yellow perch I have ever seen.... I had to look twice to see that it was not a skimpy smallmouth..... I released the fish and then realized that it was the largest perch I had seen by about 4 times.....

F
FishSchooler
Ok....
Not a bad day for me on may 10th!
I arrived at cook park at about 11:00am. I fished with a 1/16 rooster tail, but had no luck. I saw a guy by me fishing with a worm. I thought that worms weren't allowed until may 24th, so I continued with my rooster tail. Time went by without any bites. That guy came about 5 minutes after we arrived. He rigged something like a 2-4 ounce weight at the bottom, with 2 regular hooks forking off the main line. He hooked two worms on and casted it upstream. He left it there and walked around. A couple minutes later, a huge sucker jumped(like 15 or 16 inches). My mom saw it and told me to use worms, but I sticked to my spinner cause worms weren't allowed until may 24th. A couple minutes later, a huge 18 inch squawfish was pulled in with a worm by the same person. I still hadn't got a bite. My mom made me switch to worms. I did the same rig and casted it. I kept getting what I thought were bites because I felt a jerk and my rod tip bent and shook. I set the hook, but into a snag. Then I got another "bite," realed in and saw a head of a worm. This kept on happening until I pulled in a 14 inch sucker. About and hour later, I pulled in another sucker, this time about 11 inches. Luckily, we weren't ticketed if bait isn't allowed until may 24th.

Plus, that guy said that he ate a squaw and sucker before and it tasted good.

C
chris61182
Congrats on taking Mom out fishing.

And you were right, no bait until the 24th, and actually depending on where on the river you are there may be no bait at all. Now while I won't chastise you for it, Johny Law might not be so inclined.

I look forward to future fishing reports, tight lines and good luck!