Trout fishing: July 20th, 2012

P
pnwbrandon
Just thought I'd give a little report.

I went over to the Siletz with a coworker on Friday; we only covered a little over half a mile (as a crow flies) upriver from Wildcat Bridge.

I was dry fly fishing for trout while he was spin fishing for steelhead. I caught about 35 trout which were all eight inches or smaller (I'll need to up my fly size again!)... except for one 12-1/4 inch cutthroat (I've researched pretty heavy on trout identification and I'm fairly sure about this one). Had one blind eye.

fO8eh.jpg

By the way I was calling my friend over, he thought I'd hooked a steelhead! I was beaming because my former record was 9-1/2. All in all, it was an amazing trip; I was able to show him my family's old stomping grounds, see my grandparents' old homes, visit Carol at the Logsden Store, etc.

Other notes:
Used one barb-less royal stimulator for the entire day.
All fish were caught and released.
Friend is now sold on fly fishing.

Maybe I'll put a couple more pictures up after work today. Thanks for reading!

Reactions: wozniasm
H
Homebrewmike
Great looking fish. I also like the net. Is that a measuring device at the bottom?

brandon4455
brandon4455
\n

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
nice fish. I will be camping at my cousins on the Siletz the first weekend in August....hope to do some fishing while I am there. Silly me....of course I will fish.

P
pnwbrandon
IMG_0422.jpgIMG_0426.jpg

Mike, after seeing this net in others' reports I just had to find one! Got mine from Back Country Fly Shop in Corvallis for $30. I think it's called a MeasureNet.

Yeah, I was surprised by the mature look of the fish... the alligator mouth! I am so accustomed to seeing little fish!

Have fun on the Siletz, lilsalmon. I'm glad that you have family along the river! I sure wish I still did; it's been a good six years since (if only I was into fishing as a teenager).

Thanks for the responses!

brandon4455
brandon4455
i

Last edited:
P
pnwbrandon
Hey Brandon, my friend saw two or three swimming and we both heard one jump downstream from us in a slow pool (!). We also saw evidence of cleaning... a huge tail and such. All of that leads me to believe they are definitely in the river, but Carol at the store said warmer waters is cause for less activity/biting. I don't think many are getting pulled out.

J
JonT
Thanks for the report, dude. I'm visiting Newport for the week. Is Wildcat Bridge the one on the north point of town, on Hwy 229?

P
pnwbrandon
Well, Wildcat Bridge is northeast of Moonshine Park near Logsden, OR. Up the river from there.