troll'n 4 trout

Troutski
Troutski
Hat...

Hat...

Don't forget you need a new hat, it is a must. Get a boat - get a hat, it will be your lucky hat that's for sure.

Chuck

G
Green_Tackle
T
Thuggin4Life
Troutski said:
Don't forget you need a new hat, it is a must. Get a boat - get a hat, it will be your lucky hat that's for sure.

Chuck

Maybe that's why my boat isn't always so lucky.

F
fishnquest
Thanks for this thread. I've been visiting lakes/resv's around here and I always here the same thing: "The trout are down near the dam and deep. I have a 12ft boat and 6hp motor. I've never been trolling for trout, my little crawdad boat is not going to have a downrigger, so how do I troll for trout? Now I have a way to start.

I've got my big hat, too! My wife had me install a mount for her hat; it's an umbrella!

T
Troutier Bassier
Rapalas! ALl you need is your rod and a Swizel connected to a rapala. Then troll! They will rise for it.

A
A_J-Llama
trolling

trolling

I agree with TB, Rapala's are my go-to lure of choice, especially at Hagg. I don't use a swivel though, I use a small cross-loc snap and use 6# test directly, no leader, and no weight. Have caught Bass in the 5 lb range ( largemouth and smallmouth alike), 20+ inch Trout and jumbo Perch as well using this set-up. With floating Rapala's you can troll in the shallows and across the middle of the lake and do well. I usually run the lure about 40-60 yards behind the boat, and as others have said vary the speed. :dance:

T
Thuggin4Life
Just tie a rapala knot it helps give the rapala more action. But my go to trolling gear are fenders and worms ussually without any wieght.

F
fishnquest
I've got most of the gear already. I'm going out tuesday...

N
ninja2010
fishnquest said:
I've got most of the gear already. I'm going out tuesday...

good luck out there, bro. have a great time and catch some feesh. :D

F
fishnquest
ninja2010 said:
good luck out there, bro. have a great time and catch some feesh. :D

gonna give it a try. I think the boat will work now! Got the motor fixed and the fishfinder installed...

T
Thuggin4Life
Don't let people fool you. The fish finder is the least important gear you need for a boat but it doesn't hurt to use it just don't rely on it completely. If I ever get one it will be more for depth than fish.

G
GrillMaster
Problem

Problem

Is there a problem with fishfinders? It almost sounds like your antiFishfinders, it is only an addition to your tackle isn't it. Just because the fish are there doesn't mean the fish will bite. I guess you don't like technology, where do you stand on artificial lures or bait?

GM

C
capblack
The only reason that someone wouldnt like a fish finder is if they didn't have one, or they have one and dont know how to use it. Learn how to use one and there very helpful. Brian

T
Thuggin4Life
I don't have one yet but i will get one eventually. But i have been catching plenty of fish without one and noticed that people with them fishing around me always seem to be marking fish but not catching them. When I get a fish finder i will primarily use it for depth finding and won't base my fishing off of it but i will keep track of what it is marking compared to what i am catching. I have been out will guys who relied on the fish finder to find fish and waste a lot of time trying to find the fish when I would just start fishing and probably catch fish. Maybe if someday I get a fish finder and only catch fish were it is marking fish then will I swear by one. It doesn't hurt to have one put it not a necessity. I was just out camping and fishing without one and managed to get over 20 fish in the boat and fill a smoker with trout that were more than not over the 1lb mark and talked to guys with fish finders who weren't as lucky as me so you be the judge.

T
Troutier Bassier
I only use fish finders for Locating Structure and Bottom type/ depth. If there is nice structure there should be fish,
Altho sometimes I look for Baitfish like Shad, and then if tehre is shad and rocks three is bass and walleye

Troutski
Troutski
Sonar is information...

Sonar is information...

A sonar is nothing but information, now how you use this information is equal to or better than the information it allows us access to.
Now that being said, if you own a drift boat but don't know how to read a river; what good is the craft.
Now on the other hand if you have the knowledge and experience running the river and acquire a drift boat, then you have a distinct advantage over the person that has neither.
I have a GPS for keeping an on board record of springs and structure, also a 3D sidescan sonar..which the fish alarm is in the off position; but the ability to locate structure from over 200' away is the ultimate in stealth technology. The fish that show up under your boat are no longer there anyway so they mean nothing, it is the ones off the scope that interest me. I started out like most anglers using the bank as my way to catch fish, then upgraded to a 12' boat with a very old and finicky outboard motor...no fish finder, just pure determination to catch more fish and if possible larger fish . Well then I up graded to a nicer boat with a basic sonar, then upgraded to a larger boat and now to the present magic carpet in my garage today. I not saying I would turn around and go home because I forgot my sonar on the work bench once I was at the boat ramp; but I would feel very naked on the water without my toy's at my side - ask any one that has been in my craft...addiction to electronic and boat toys is very prevalent.
The cool thing about living here in the USA is we can all do what we want with our money and our time...hopefully more people will take up Golf and on line poker;)

Chuck

C
capblack
I think it probably has a lot to do with the type of fish your fishing for. Trout for instance seem to be more spread out and maybe finding them on the finder isn't as important, but I wouldnt want to search for kokanee without a finder. Its just a matter of preference, but Ill take all the help I can get, god knows I need it. happy fishing, Brian

T
Thuggin4Life
All very good points. Check this out i just read the fish forecast i subscribe to. "Expect to pay more for fishing licenses and tags next year. A new two-rod angling license will be an option for lakes and reservoirs at a cost of $15. Boats 10 feet or longer must buy a permit for $5." sounds like a nice addition to the rules. I hate fishing by myself since it means only one set of gear behind the boat and its had to get my girlfriend to come out on the boat and use her fishing license to my advantage.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Life is expensive...

Life is expensive...

Thuggin4Life said:
All very good points. Check this out i just read the fish forecast i subscribe to. "Expect to pay more for fishing licenses and tags next year. A new two-rod angling license will be an option for lakes and reservoirs at a cost of $15. Boats 10 feet or longer must buy a permit for $5." sounds like a nice addition to the rules. I hate fishing by myself since it means only one set of gear behind the boat and its had to get my girlfriend to come out on the boat and use her fishing license to my advantage.

I am not saying life isn't expensive, it is not that way on accident; one must weigh the things in his/her life that are worth pursuing and adjust their lives accordingly.
Who would have thought that 40 years ago we would be paying some one serious money each month to get 18 min. of advertising per hour of t.v. watched. The whole idea behind cable television was to not have commercials. Now we are even entitled to a constant stream of bottom screen news and ads for other networks.
Fishing is expensive no fight from me here, but I make it cost effective by going more and more each year...same with parking at boat ramps...I go more to keep the cost of the pass in line with my budget. I am on a monthly income like most members on this site...so when the fees go up I feel it myself. The difference is I make sure I get my monies worth and more each year, heck sometimes in the Winter months when I am the only one on the lake..well it's like renting the whole thing for pennies.
I see a broken kitchen spoon and see a lure in the raw...just my way of living.

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
The cost of fishing

The cost of fishing

Troutski's right. To offset the cost of fishing, one must fish more often and also use the facilities as much as you can for what the permit is for.

Last edited: