Transom for my canoe!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Went on the net today to find a cheap transom, found an ingenious guy that showed how to make one out of a 2X4. spent most of the day working on it to make sure it was solid. Looks funky but going to give it a try at rogers landing tomorrow. I'll see how it works and may use it Sat. at Hagg and Sunday on the Willy.

• transom.jpg
bass
bass
That looks pretty nice and simple. I do have a few suggestions though.

Are the C-clamps all that is holding it on? I would have some concern that the vibration of the motor might jiggle those loose. One suggestion I have is to loop the trolling motor wires once around that rear seat when you are using it. Then even if it did work loose and fall off you would not lose the motor. Another idea would be to add an eye bolt to the board and chain that to the seat. I would also drill/carve some shallow countersink holes for the C-clamps so that they sink into the 2x4.

Another simple suggestion I would be to widen the top where you go over the gunnels by gluing extra a piece of 2x4 on the front and the back. A trolling motor will create a lot of torque on that 2x4 and tripling the width of the base around which it will want to rotate will help keep the transom from rotating.

EOBOY
EOBOY
bass said:
That looks pretty nice and simple. I do have a few suggestions though.

Are the C-clamps all that is holding it on? I would have some concern that the vibration of the motor might jiggle those loose. One suggestion I have is to loop the trolling motor wires once around that rear seat when you are using it. Then even if it did work loose and fall off you would not lose the motor. Another idea would be to add an eye bolt to the board and chain that to the seat. I would also drill/carve some shallow countersink holes for the C-clamps so that they sink into the 2x4.

Another simple suggestion I would be to widen the top where you go over the gunnels by gluing extra a piece of 2x4 on the front and the back. A trolling motor will create a lot of torque on that 2x4 and tripling the width of the base around which it will want to rotate will help keep the transom from rotating.

Bass I drove a wedge in between the stern and the transom that because of the shape of the canoe locks it in tight. The idea of sink holes is good Will do that. I do wrap the wires to a thwart. I also tie a rope to the motor. I also will tie a rope to the transom and the seat.

bass
bass
Sounds like you have thought it all through. I am sure it is wedged in there pretty well. I thought of the wider base because I figure every time you turn the motor on it might rock the transom a tiny bit. Over time that might loosen the fit a bit.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Bass made it to Rogers Landing and the transom worked great. Didn't catch a thing. Talked with an old guy who had a nice Bass Tracker Boat and he said he only had a few bites and the fish weren't interested. He was using a sanco. I tried a little of every thing. Dang beautiful day.

EO

bass
bass
EOBOY said:
Bass made it to Rogers Landing and the transom worked great. Didn't catch a thing. Talked with an old guy who had a nice Bass Tracker Boat and he said he only had a few bites and the fish weren't interested. He was using a sanco. I tried a little of every thing. Dang beautiful day.

EO

Glad to hear that the transom rocks!

Bummer that the bite was not better. Sounds like it was just a slow day. Some days the fish won't bite no matter how badly we want them to.