Took a buddy trout fishing for his birthday...

Y
Yohan
I have a buddy who is relatively new at fly fishing, so for his birthday I took him to a stretch of river that has been productive for me in the past. We fished two days and camped by the river. Even though he got some hard knocks lessons on landing big (relatively speaking) fish, he had 3 break him off because of bad technique and knots, he had a blast. We each got into double digit fish on the first day and few less on the second day. Fortunately he brought his camera, so I have some pictures to share (my buddy is the one with long hair and I'm the one with no hair :lol:).

Most productive flies were: yellow sallies, olive EHC, girdle bugs, san juan worms (red), prince nymphs, soft hackle black nymphs, and black wooly buggers.

T
Troutcatcher
Some nice Trout

troutdude
troutdude
Not a fair hair exchange; but looks like you had a good time. And I tip my hat to you, for taking your buddy fishing. That's what it's all about!

E
everett464
That looks like beautiful water. I may have to check the santiam out.

T
TTFishon
Wow!!! Those are some nice looking bows!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Well done! Your buddy's lucky to have a knowledgeable friend like you to show him where to get into the nice ones. Congrats to you both.

Y
Yohan
Raincatcher said:
Well done! Your buddy's lucky to have a knowledgeable friend like you to show him where to get into the nice ones. Congrats to you both.

Thanks.

TTFishon said:
Wow!!! Those are some nice looking bows!

Yes they were. Very healthy and active. At one point I had 3 hook-ups in 4 cast, all at the same spot of the drift. Then a little later I saw a fish come from under a rock (approx. 6 ft deep) and torpedo up to hit my yellow sally and flew about a foot and a half in the air because it came up so fast. Then it did about 4 or 5 more aerials immediately after. I don't know how it stayed hooked because I sat there for a second or two staring in amazement. It was pretty cool.

Last edited:
W
wormosa
nice trout

R
RicerAP1
Nice! Is this the santiam? I'm dying to catch some river trout like that!

A
autofisher
I think it's the Little North, but there are fish like that to be found all through the Santiams.

Those are some great fish for sure. Glad to see the smiles and great pics.

T
Thuggin4Life
Those sure are some nice trout. Way to go!

T
troutramp
Thats awesome are there browns in there?

B
bigsteel
excellent fish and report,,,,,i love that river it has some huge trout for sure