Tillamook head?

B
BankWalker
I was wondering if anybody could tell me where tillamook head is on the coast. The regulations say all beaches north of it are closed to razor claming july-sept. Google thinks it is just south of seaside and I just want some confirmation. I'm trying to pick a beach that is open for claming and going to do some surf or jetty fishing this weekend. Last weekend I got three sculpin out of the surf my first time fishing in saltwater so I'm hoping to get something bigger this time.

S
skunk
Its in Ecola State Park, so I'd say anything north of that is closed.

Reactions: BankWalker
B
BankWalker
Thanks, I need to get a good map of the coast. I'm probably going to try cape meares beach friday and then fish around tillamook in the afternoon.

S
skunk
The jetties always are good to me, specially after dark. If you are near Cannon Beach, if you park on Oak st. at the pull out and hike down to the beach, there is a large rock formation. I like to hike its face on a falling tide and fish into the huge swirll pool on the ocean side.

B
BankWalker
We had a lot of fun exploring the coast this weekend. My wife didn't get any razor clams at cape meares but we got better at spotting life in the sand and dug up a bunch of little sandcrab things and sandworms so atleast we saw something.

After that I fished on some rocks for a while and right off I got a tug and reeled it in and out came a dungeness crab but it was a five inch or so female so we threw it back. The crabs love gulp worms and crabs! Every time we would reel in there would be claw marks chomped out of it. There were tiny blue crabs on the rocks and tide pools full of stuff to check out. Sadly I only had an hour to fish there in the morning. I would have loved to go back at night.

After spending saturday in manzanita with family, sunday morning we went looking at random beaches in the area and found a boulder covered from top to bottom in mussels. So my wife took enough for me to cook her dinner tonight. I don't eat shellfish or crab, so she gets to eat a luxury dinner and I get a sandwich.

There are so many ways to harvest dinner out of the ocean and it is full of fish that I never even thought about before. Now the whole beach looks different.

I didn't get up to cannon beach but that cliff face is on the list of places to go next time and maybe take a shot at bay clams. Thanks again for the help and fishing spot skunk.