Thinkin about gettin a driftboat

R
RunWithSasquatch
alseaalumaweld said:
if you dont have oar rites u are a fool!

If you use oar rites, you dont know how to row.

And if you use oar rights, you will never know how to row, because they wont let you feather your oar tips.

A
alseaalumaweld
well everone know you dont use your oar rites to row! they hold your blades strait up so you boat moves less in the curent when ancored

A
alseaalumaweld
if you dont got oar rites your liveing in the 70s for no reason. mite as well fish outa a wood boat too lol

R
RunWithSasquatch
alseaalumaweld said:
if you dont got oar rites your liveing in the 70s for no reason. mite as well fish outa a wood boat too lol

:lol: I'd like to set that thing on fire some days... put to much ****ing work into it though.

A
alseaalumaweld
idk why everone does have oar rites. well everone i know but you i guess

S
Santiam338
bigsteel said:
what do you guys think about this boat

Nice boat but I wouldn't want anything less than 16x54...Soooo much nicer..

My buddy has a 16x48 alumaweld like that and I feel cramped in it...My boat is 16x54 and the differance is noticable..Lots more room...I also agree with jigs...Don't overlook a nice fiberglass boat..In low water when the aluminum boys are wading their boat down I am still dry and floating..LOL .. Scraping maybe, but floating nonetheless..

By all means though get a driftboat..You will wonder why you didn't get one years ago...

Never had a bad trip on the McKenzie..

IMG_0045.jpg

A
alseaalumaweld
54 wide is a lot nice thats forsure

J
JeannaJigs
Oar rites are a freaking necessity in a glass boat, unless you want to be squirrlin all over the damn river when anchored up. I have them set high so they don't Interfere or dictate how I row. Just like them for keeping those tips perpendicular so they cut in. That's the downside to glass, sits higher in the water and unless you have a huge guy up front the bow likes to move around in a strong current inducing nausea and sometimes vomiting :|

A
alseaalumaweld
Oar rites are a freaking necessity , unless you want to be squirrlin all over the damn river when anchored up. I have them set high so they don't Interfere or dictate how I row. Just like them for keeping those tips perpendicular so they cut in

yes! jenna know whats up

A
alseaalumaweld
every trailer over 10 years old has seen better days and is slowy dieing

E
eggs
Dave you know I will show you how to row... hell I already gave you the down and dirty quick how to read and row a river on the Big D.

If I would for sure go with fiberglass, they are usually lighter, easier to fix and slide over rocks better.

G
GDBrown
I didn't know you wanted a boat yet..... So give me another week and you can take the "Little Blue Drifter" OFF my hands so I have room in the garage for my other boats...

I just have a little more work on the finish and put all the pieces back on and it will be ready to go. I know it's not as big as you may want but it will take two down any river I think you will want to run.
Add_1.jpg

If you want I'll bring it down your way and you can try it out with me or anyone else you would like to take. I know Rose wanted it but I figure if you had it she would be with you most of the time anyway, right!

GD

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Not being a drift boat guy since i am lazy and hate rowing my opinion should count for much but i would buy aluminum. there tanks. and i think if you ever wanted to troll with them there transoms are stronger than the glass boats. but as everyone mention glass has its advantages. I would get a guid sized boat just because it sucks being trapped in a little boat with no room. all though gd's boat is looking pretty good and i bet he would give you a great deal on it.

G
GDBrown
Thuggin4Life said:
....... all though gd's boat is looking pretty good and i bet he would give you a great deal on it.

Yes, I will, Thanks Andy.

I have an aluminum boat for the rivers and lakes like yours only 14 ft and 25 HP, and still will have my little "Lazy Drifter" which is also fiberglass. I find the little drift boats great for smaller lakes like Trillium and Harriet where motors are not needed and for rivers where motors are worthless, ie. The Wilson, Trask or Deschutes.

T
Thuggin4Life
no problem i wouldn't mind that thing taking up room around my place. thing is i have no room and still haven't gotten over being lazy. I know someone with a drifter that has been kind enough to take me out. not exactly in my element when we do. didn't you just get that thing back?

From what i remeber about the wilson it would be funny to watch a guy come down in the deluxe sized aluminum boat. never thought of that. I was just thinking about my local rivers and all the lakes and tidewater that could be done in a big aluminum drifter.

E
eugene1
Not a db guy myself, but I've spent time in some. You'll pay more for a wider boat, unlike a 48". Also check the trailers out. the two CL adds posted here both have rusted trailers. Galvanized will cost more, but will last longer... A good painted trailer that hasn't seen salt is also not a bad deal. When checking out a potential purchase, I'd take the boat off the trailer and look at it really well, even get on it and look for weak spots/flexing. That'll help spot busted welds.

You generally don't need to get your db trailer wet when unloading or loading your boats because they're pretty light. Getting a motor will also extend your fishing range quite a bit!

good luck,

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
alseaalumaweld said:
Heck I thought the 70s was just a few years back. I'm stumbling around in the 50s. I've had my DB for 11 years now and never considered oar rites. Might have to take a look at them if they settle the boat down while on anchor. Has to be better than sea anchors. Are they truly effective?

Reactions: eggs and OnTheFly
G
GDBrown
All they do is keep the angle of the oar in the water stable. If you are like me every time I lean to one side or the other the boat will move anyway. It is usually the passenger the makes my boat go back and forth.

Reactions: OnTheFly
M
mlw
alseaalumaweld said:
Best choice out there in my opinion.
Michael

A
alseaalumaweld
yes they work if you dont have them. your missing out