The Willamette is up about a foot

R
rippin fish lips
It's raised up to about 1 ffoot, i saw 1 sorehead at day island today. My buddy bill landed a steelie yesterday on the willy. I'm kinda pushin that way for an evening bite. I imagine the steelhead have came out of lock jaw with the higher water and "misty" mornings = cooler temps. anyone hitting it?

R
rippin fish lips
68 veiws and not a comment? cmon lurkers! start posting!!! I'm just lookin for someone to meet up with!!

R
rippin fish lips
86 views and no replies :p i know some of you lurkers out there are usually logged on. but cmon guys!! like i said, i want to hear reports of any steelhead action happenin oon the upper willy. I think it's time to stop being shy peeps!!! The willy is no secret!!

F
flipper
What part of the Willamette are you talking about? Might bring out a few lurkers ;)

Edit: Well, I'm silly...Middle Fork :)

R
rippin fish lips
flipper said:
What part of the Willamette are you talking about? Might bring out a few lurkers ;)

Edit: Well, I'm silly...Middle Fork :)

lol! :D It came to my mind that ppl are fishin for them, saw 1 report i know there is more to come

F
flipper
I definitely think the fish are out of lock-jaw mode though, went to the McKenzie after work and pounded three nice sized cutthroats...after being skunked the past three times I went out.

R
rippin fish lips
yeah, now is the time to good look for the rest of those summers while they are still good. a lot of them are darker now but if you can work through them you can find the salty ones that are coming right now! The one i got looked like its been in the river maybe 2 weeks.

jamisonace
jamisonace
haven't fished it lately

haven't fished it lately

My boats been garaged for three weeks. Too busy but I did hear of a couple being caught. I'll be getting out either in the mornings or evenings next week to give it a shot. If you see a blue North River drift boat on the water...shout at me.

rippin fish lips said:
yeah, now is the time to good look for the rest of those summers while they are still good. a lot of them are darker now but if you can work through them you can find the salty ones that are coming right now! The one i got looked like its been in the river maybe 2 weeks.

R
rippin fish lips
Will do fer sure jamis! Been thinkin bout hittin the willy buy i have been hooked on sight fishing for the steelies on the mac!

E
eugene1
We've been doing pretty well on the town run this past week for steelies. They're pretty bright and the higher water has them fighting a bit more than back in August. The water temp is still about 59-60 degrees though (if I remember correctly).

R
rippin fish lips
eugene1 said:
We've been doing pretty well on the town run this past week for steelies. They're pretty bright and the higher water has them fighting a bit more than back in August. The water temp is still about 59-60 degrees though (if I remember correctly).

Yeah i have heard of about 10 steelies caught in that run in the last 2 weeks. The meckenzie just has one big a$5 magnet that keeps pulling me to her. Now is the time to fish the town run tho. pulled 7 out of there last year at this time of the year. The water needs to drop to around 51-53 degrees!!

F
flipper
What exactly is a "town run"?

R
rippin fish lips
flipper said:
What exactly is a "town run"?

A "town run" is a section of river that runs right throught the middle of a city with multiple boat ramps (in the city) Therefore being able to pull out almost anywhere in the city.

The "town run" here for example, would be the Day Island boat ramp in (downtown) Springfield, from there you can float down to a couple different boat ramps. The first boat ramp being The "D street" ramp. The second ramp would be the Alton Baker boat ramp (in eugene) , right after the UofO walking bridge.

Town run - A section of river that is navacable by boats. Just my own "town run" definition, with a mispelling im sure., lol

T
TTFishon
rippin fish lips said:
A "town run" is a section of river that runs right throught the middle of a city with multiple boat ramps (in the city) Therefore being able to pull out almost anywhere in the city.

The "town run" here for example, would be the Day Island boat ramp in (downtown) Springfield, from there you can float down to a couple different boat ramps. The first boat ramp being The "D street" ramp. The second ramp would be the Alton Baker boat ramp (in eugene) , right after the UofO walking bridge.

Town run - A section of river that is navacable by boats. Just my own "town run" definition, with a mispelling im sure., lol

Isn't there a ramp at VRC and also don't forget Beltline too.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Fished the town run this morning with minimal success. Saw all other boats on the water blank between daylight and 9 am. Water is much higher than I expected. This year just never took off on the Willamette.

E
eugene1
TTFishon said:
Isn't there a ramp at VRC and also don't forget Beltline too.

You're correct. Both those ramps are fairly primitive though.

E
eugene1
jamisonace said:
Fished the town run this morning with minimal success. Saw all other boats on the water blank between daylight and 9 am. Water is much higher than I expected. This year just never took off on the Willamette.

I haven't fished it much before (so I can't do a comparison), but this year has been awesome for me. I lost one at the boat Monday night above the railroad tressle in Springfield and landed two on Tuesday night. One fish was colored up a tad and it actually cut a bit pale. The other was nice, as our previous ones have been all year. Go git 'em!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm glad it's awesome for someone

I'm glad it's awesome for someone

In years past I had holes on that stretch that practically guaranteed fish. This year I've hit those holes and came up empty everytime. I don't think the fish moved, I just think there are far less fish. Rather, I know there are far less fish because the numbers are way down at the falls but I think that the majority of what came in went up the McKenzie. I've seen tailouts teeming with steelhead on recent floats on the Mack. My best day in the town run over the years was 10 hooked 6 landed and the reason we only landed 6 was because my 6 and 7 year old boys were manning the rods while I rowed. This year my best day has been 1 fish.

I don't want to discourage anyone but that's been my experience this year...maybe I've just lost my touch.

eugene1 said:
I haven't fished it much before (so I can't do a comparison), but this year has been awesome for me. I lost one at the boat Monday night above the railroad tressle in Springfield and landed two on Tuesday night. One fish was colored up a tad and it actually cut a bit pale. The other was nice, as our previous ones have been all year. Go git 'em!

E
eugene1
jamisonace said:
In years past I had holes on that stretch that practically guaranteed fish. This year I've hit those holes and came up empty everytime. I don't think the fish moved, I just think there are far less fish. Rather, I know there are far less fish because the numbers are way down at the falls but I think that the majority of what came in went up the McKenzie. I've seen tailouts teeming with steelhead on recent floats on the Mack. My best day in the town run over the years was 10 hooked 6 landed and the reason we only landed 6 was because my 6 and 7 year old boys were manning the rods while I rowed. This year my best day has been 1 fish.

I don't want to discourage anyone but that's been my experience this year...maybe I've just lost my touch.

Good point about there being fewer fish in the Willy this year. I don't know how it stacks up against previous years, and I have not fished the McKenzie at all.

Anyway, 10 hooked in one day is freakin awesome! My best day was 3 caught with a buddy this year, which for my standards is awesome, (I am pretty new to it though). I tried it for an hour last night and had something heavy on for about 2 sec, but even that was fun.

cheers,

jamisonace
jamisonace
tried it tonight

tried it tonight

Three fish in a day is a good day by anyone's standards. I haven't come close to that on steelhead this year but I had multiple fish days on Mack Springers. I took the boys out tonight. Even threw the 2 yr old in the boat to add a little extra level of difficulty to the equation. Didn't hit anything and didn't see anything caught. Will probably try in the morning one last time.

I did finish up the last of my most recent Steelhead tonight and it was darn tasty. Try this and you 'll be happy you did. Steelhead fillet topped with Salt and Pepper and a butter/pesto mixture on top. Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes. Uncover and spread a thin layer of mayonaise...yes I just wrote mayonaise....on top and broil on HI for two minutes. It was freakin' good!

eugene1 said:
Good point about there being fewer fish in the Willy this year. I don't know how it stacks up against previous years, and I have not fished the McKenzie at all.

Anyway, 10 hooked in one day is freakin awesome! My best day was 3 caught with a buddy this year, which for my standards is awesome, (I am pretty new to it though). I tried it for an hour last night and had something heavy on for about 2 sec, but even that was fun.

cheers,