Swingin' Santiam

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
So I'll be camping at Fisherman's Bend in late July and am curious to know if any of you swingers have gotten into summer steelhead out there, or anywhere in the area. I'm armed with a 13' 7wt, 12' 6wt, 9' 8wt and my trusty 9' 5wt for those rascally trout.

Three questions:

1. Of the rods listed above, which would be best on that stretch of water?
2. Line-wise, would you go skagit, scandi or floating?
3. Is there any especially good swinging water above or below Fisherman's Bend? I'll be working that stretch for sure but would love to know if there is anything else in the area worth checking out.

Lay it on me!

18406ej
18406ej
Pinky,

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here, but the swinging intrigues me. I have noted a very low ratio of women anglers to men anglers, so I would expect that you would find a large group of naked men who desperately wished they had pockets so they had something to do with their hands as they stand around talking about scandi, all the while trying not to look at other guys' pennises. They all are desperately hoping that a female, ANY female, will happen by and ask, "what's up", as she also tries not to look down at any pennises herself.

Eamon

S
steelhead_slayer
I've heard its still slow, but there are fish around. Lately I've been thinking of checking out that river for the first time as well

R
redhawk50
I have fished around there with my Spey rod. I had skagit with sink tip. I was to deep. On that side of the river I would go traditional summer set up with a Spey rod. So floating head. River is wide there and deeper along river left so be prepared to wade out a bit. Tight lines.

P
perfectg03
Doesn't sound like there are many fly guys on this site. Atleast of the two handed variety.

1. 13' 7wt (I like this setup cause it gives me enough power in windy conditions) No reason why the 12' 6wt wouldn't be a good choice, it is a little skinnier in the stretch around fishermans. Also, swinging the single hand there may be pretty fun actually.
2. Scandi
3. There is several good swings in the general area. My favorite swing is at the park in Mill City. Park and walk to the very end, follow the fence line/trail. It will head down to the river. You will see the good spot, its given up 9 fish so far this summer to me, all on the swing. Well I take that back, actually got one stripping line in.

Reactions: pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
This is excellent, man. I really appreciate it!

S
steelhead_slayer
I hope you post a success story after

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
You and me both!