Fly fishing for coho

M
Mutiny
So I finally did it, I acquired a Spey rod, and the time has come to get serious about catching some salmon and steelhead! Tried it out at riverside on the clackamas today and practiced my casting, definitely a different experience from my 5wt trout rod! It's a 13' 7wt that I have a scandi head on and a skagit to try when I get more comfortable with the rod.
Winter steelhead are not here yet, so I would like to try for some coho. Can anyone give me some advice on how to fly fish for them? I've been searching the Internet but can't find much on the subject, just that swinging/stripping streamers is a good bet.
I'll be hitting up the clack, sandy and washougal frequently I think since I live fairly close to the first two and have a couple remodel jobs I'm working on in the Vancouver/washougal area.
Thanks in advance for any tips people can offer me!

O
OnTheDrop
Nice! Im about to purchase my first switch rod. 11' 7wt. Stoked on it...Going to run the Skagit as well. Swing and nymph opportunity.

As for the Clackamas they are notorious for not biting...I'd spend your time on the Sandy as they are a little more willing. You could also go further up the clack and go for some summers.... They will both take similar presentations!

Good luck

H
halibuthitman
First off, ditch the swing and step mindset for silvers.. Silvers are a cast and strip fish, slow and steady drifts donot produce nearly as well as a spastic quick jigging style retrieve.. Silvers need to be inspired, the swing is not animated enough. Go buy a couple white/green and white/purple dali lamas and go beat the bank side of every seam you come to.. And jerk the **** out of that fly- good luck

O
OnTheDrop
^^^Dude knows his stuff. Listen to him.

M
Mutiny
Would you suggest retrieving the fly as it swings, or changing to an up/cross stream retrieve?
Also any other pattern suggestions? I've got a handful of steelhead Spey streamers and few intruders currently.Thanks!