Stone wall rock fishing?

PK Yi
PK Yi
I'm thinking of hitting the stone wall for the first time just out of Newport. Is this place any good for rock fish?

stone wall.jpg

stone wall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C
CastingCall
What size is ur boat? WTBS north wall seems best for me. I drift over the wall from the ocean side pending the direction of the wind. Tony

Irishrover
Irishrover
Further south there are a series of reefs that most folks fish. These reefs are easy to spot on the chart and run down to Seal Rock.

F
Fishing Rod
The reef you have circled is actually the south reef just south west of the south jetty, at times this is good fishing, this string of reefs does continue all the way south to Seal Rock, the Seal Rock areas do get fished more with good success. Good fish finder really helps here so you can set up your drifts along these reefs. If you fish the bottom it can be snaggy, but some good lings down there.. be safe keep an eye out swells are known to break on top of some of these reefs on low tides or rough surf..

Last edited:
PK Yi
PK Yi
CastingCall said:
What size is ur boat? WTBS north wall seems best for me. I drift over the wall from the ocean side pending the direction of the wind. Tony
16 foot. Looks to be good condition next week, and I hope to make it out.

PK Yi
PK Yi
Fishing Rod said:
The reef you have circled is actually the south reef just south west of the south jetty, at times this is good fishing, this string of reefs does continue all the way south to Seal Rock, the Seal Rock areas do get fished more with good success. Good fish finder really helps here so you can set up your drifts along these reefs. If you fish the bottom it can be snaggy, but some good lings down there.. be safe keep an eye out swells are known to break on top of some of these reefs on low tides or rough surf..

Yup, I got a GPS on my Humminbird Helix 7, it should let me pinpoint the area pretty well. Thanks for the info.

C
CastingCall
PK Yi said:
16 foot. Looks to be good condition next week, and I hope to make it out.
What day and time?

PK Yi
PK Yi
CastingCall said:
What day and time?

Looking at the swell forecast, my only days are Tuesday or Wednesday.

C
CastingCall
Gonna set crab pots Tuesday night and haul Wednesday then reef fish the north wall. Tony

PK Yi
PK Yi
CastingCall said:
Gonna set crab pots Tuesday night and haul Wednesday then reef fish the north wall. Tony

Have you had any issue with theft leaving it unattended for that long? I've always been leery of that.

C
CastingCall
PK Yi said:
Have you had any issue with theft leaving it unattended for that long? I've always been leery of that.
Never. Tony

C
CastingCall
Set pots very late, haul early. Make sense? PK check out king slew via u-tube. Tony

PK Yi
PK Yi
CastingCall said:
Set pots very late, haul early. Make sense? PK check out king slew via u-tube. Tony

Thanks. Sweet channel.

Is there a particular spot out past the jetty that we are not allowed to set our pots? Or anywhere in open water is fine?