Still trying to catch a steelhead

S
sheed
Hi everyone.
I've been fishing for trout since I was in high school.
About the year 2004, I decided to go after bigger fish for some fight.
I've fished various parts of the Clackamas and I never caught anything.
My technic was bobber and jig, corkies and yarn, spinners.
But I've never been able to catch one.

So maybe I'm going fishing when there isn't much of a bite or spots that have very little fish. It's also a possibility (high possibility) that I suck hahahaha.
I would really appreciate some tips, help, coaching, setups, anything to help me land my first Steelhead.

thanks
Sheed

S
SmallStreams
Even though you haven't caught them, have you seen any? Or seen anyone else catch one?

If not, then it's probably timing/location. If so, then you're on the track and just need to refine your technique.

How often are you going? Have you hung out at the usual locations for a day, like High Rocks or Carver Boat Landing or that next upstream park that is banished from my mind in a fit of old-timers?

S
sheed
I've seen people catch some here and there but that was on the opposite side of McIver park. What ever happened to that place?
Is there any access to the opposite side of McIver park at all?
I used to go here and there but that was before I was on these fish forums so I didn't know when the fish were in.
My new spot that I go is the opposite side of the river at Cross Park/High Rocks area. The side that is on the opposite side of the DMV.

S
SmallStreams
Across from McIver, at the upstream end, there's public access below the dam. Barton Park, the one I couldn't think of, has a good fishable stretch and it's closer/cheaper than McIver.

At High Rocks, on the south bank, go upstream under the I-205 bridge and you'll find some plunkers sitting in lawn chairs that might help you out. That whole area is pretty fishable, just gotta be there.

Maybe someone here has more tips for ya since I don't usually fish the Clackamas even though it's nearly in my backyard (well, this backyard).

O
OnTheDrop
If you are fishing the opposite side of the DMV you may be fishing the popular 'Willows'. I've hit quite a few fish in there... Spinners or spoons & bobber and jigs can be deadly.

It's big water where you are fishing. Chances are you are just not covering the water properly. This is a great spot early in the season and can yield some chromers through February. Start at the top and work your way down with a jig fishing the seam or even a bit on the inside of it. Work your way down it and once you get to the bottom come back up and roll some hardware through.. It can be a tricky spot but a very rewarding one...

PM me for any more info. I grew up on the Clack and love helping people get fish on it.

Early season= Persistance for the Clack.

Cheers,

T
TeamRamRod
I fish the lower mile of the clack a few times a week. I live a few blocks from the cross park area, and grew up here. I've fished this for years, and always willing to help. Feel free to message me. Anytime.

J
Jiggy
Listen to ramrod, that guy is the steelie slayer, I met his freind dozer?? Good guy, thee guys know what's up. This is only my second year at this, hooked 5 last winter, going for 10 or more this year. Thx ramrod, and dozer, can't wait for another fun year! Post pics, it makes it all the better.

J
Jamesotto33
Well sir, I am new to the area and ive been fishing for steelhead for a few years now and have yet to catch one. Ive spent many, many, many days, cold, wet and miserable and have come home with nothing. Alas! I dont even know what steelhead TASTES like. Anyhow, Ive been watching people for a long time and im certain im doing the right thing but just can't seem to hook one let alone land one. I fish down at the cross park area as well, opposite the dmv like described above and ive even brought binocs down there to see waht other guys are using. I use a float and jig with about 3.5 feet of line between the jig and bobber once its in the water and it seems like everyone else is too. Im down there pretty often and i always wear a white and red ball cap and i usually have my small mini aussie with me so if you see me id love to learn. Thanks!

D
dozer365
Jiggy said:
Listen to ramrod, that guy is the steelie slayer, I met his freind dozer?? Good guy, thee guys know what's up. This is only my second year at this, hooked 5 last winter, going for 10 or more this year. Thx ramrod, and dozer, can't wait for another fun year! Post pics, it makes it all the better.

Hey thanx for the shout out. I'll be around the clack after this weekend. Feb-march is coming!!!!

J
Jiggy
dozer365 said:
Hey thanx for the shout out. I'll be around the clack after this weekend. Feb-march is coming!!!!
Can't wait! See ya out there.

J
Jiggy
James, if I see you I'd be glad to put in my 5 cents( actual value 2 cents) nothing is funner than watching someone else with their first steel. Especially if you've been trying for as long as you have. I'd love to see the look on your face when that thing lights up and breaks the water a few times! Good luck!

J
Jamesotto33
Haha. Right on man> Peace!

D
DirectDrive
sheed said:
Is there any access to the opposite side of McIver park at all?
Across from the upriver end of McIver is the Timber Festival grounds.
I used to park in there and walk in (down).
There's some ledgy structure there that is good for float and jig.

It's been a long time since I've been in there.

You could try calling the Estacada Tackle Shop (503) 630-7424 and ask about access.
Great American Tackle Shop in Clackamas (503) 650-2662 would be another.