Steelhead questions from a beginner wanting to respect the fish and

M
MonsterRiverBass.com
I am looking to gain some knowledge on Steelhead. If you know an answer to one of the following questions below I would appreciate any help your willing to give.

I am new to Steelhead fishing- already have the gear part covered so I want to know the following:

Can I fish for them all season? I know Winter Steelhead is popular what is the time frame on this?

What are a few good spots that are not crowded?

Of coarse, I will admit I would love a photo with a nice fish If I catch it. How can I handle the fish properly to ensure it stays healthy after release?

Native Steelhead still have Adipose Fin- Others are clipped?

I hear folks keep them to eat- what is legal? Do I really need to whack it on the head?

Thats it for now. If you have an answer please put my original question in Bold and an answer below. Thanks again.

O
OnTheDrop
Sup Buddy,

Can I fish for them all season? I know Winter Steelhead is popular what is the time frame on this?

You can pretty much catch a steelhead any day of the year here in Oregon. Winter peak times are Dec-Feb/March. Some systems get early ones in November and often times the big native ones arrive in rivers later in the season. Feb- beginning of April are my favorite times for the big guys. Though you can get one any day of the season.

Summers will start to trickle in systems in March/April and peak anywhere from there to June/July. Though right now you could still encounter a chrome one ( Especially in the lower Clack ) Even the ones that come in earlier in the season can still be caught. Unlike the winters who come in and spawn ( or head back out to ocean ) summers don't spawn 'til the following year. I've ran into summers during a day of catching winters in December.

What are a few good spots that are not crowded?
Now, that's a tough question...lol

Of coarse, I will admit I would love a photo with a nice fish If I catch it. How can I handle the fish properly to ensure it stays healthy after release?
If you are planning on releasing the fish try to keep it out of the water for the briefest time possible. If you hold it above the water make sure you aren't holding it near the gills yet by the tail and under the belly. I will hold them a foot or two above the water in case they freak out. Then they just land in the water. Put fish back in water and move forward and back by the tail until the specimen swims out of your hands.

Native Steelhead still have Adipose Fin- Others are clipped?
Truth
I hear folks keep them to eat- what is legal? Do I really need to whack it on the head?
Hatchery fish are legal to keep. The more chrome the fish the better the meat will be typically. No matter what though, bucks will cut better than hens. I've had semi chrome hens cut not so good against a colored up buck that has cut orange. Steelhead are great smoker fish in my opinion. Freshly caught can be quite the barbecue feast though...:thumb:

Reactions: Raincatcher
T
Throbbit _Shane
Pick up a regulation book from a sporting goods store. Or read it online. That will answer many of your questions. If you plan on releasing a fish try to leave it in the water as much as you can, and if you get a picture dont stick your fingers in its gills. You dont have to bonk it but its nice to get them to stop flopping around and its also good to rip/cut there gills so they can bleed out.

T
troutmasta
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Sup Buddy,
blah..blah....blah....
:thumb:

What he said

M
MonsterRiverBass.com
Thanks guys,

Steelmon when are you and TroutMasta gonna take me out for some Salmon/Steelhead and Fireball whiskey!

T
troutmasta
MonsterRiverBass.com said:
Thanks guys,

Steelmon when are you and TroutMasta gonna take me out for some Salmon/Steelhead and Fireball whiskey!

Uhh, next week?? Tanner?

O
OnTheDrop
Yeah, I could probably do next week. The following would be better though.

& that was "Sinfire" Wes. Lol. It'll be included for sure though.

D
DrTheopolis
Probably the toughest time of year to start steelie fishing. A few summers kicking around for sure, and lots of aggresive ones. Go get some nooks. In a month or so, the winters start coming, and a chromer is yummy to eat.

Sounds like these guys have got you covered.

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
Probably the toughest time of year to start steelie fishing. A few summers kicking around for sure, and lots of aggresive ones.

I agree it's a tough time to start. Don't want to put a damper, but even though I hooked two and landed one today and there are some around, I've had several blank weeks recently. Just want you to be aware and not to become frustrated; things will get better once the winters start showing.

B
BlueWater
Do pick up the regulations booklet - and read it. It has good information on catch and release. An experienced angler may be able to lift the fish from the water to get a photo, but in reality, you're advised to never remove a fish you plan to release from the water - no offense, SteelmonKiller. There's a tonload of videos and articles about steelhead fishng online (almost too many) some are even by ODFW. And there's even more information in this forum. Try a search.

Good luck out there.

H
halibuthitman
you could catch your first steelhead in about 3 casts on the Klickitat, John Day or big D right now.. **** the clack-

C
ChezJfrey
halibuthitman said:
you could catch your first steelhead in about 3 casts on the Klickitat, John Day or big D right now.. **** the clack-

That's a good reminder. I now have a bunch of 4 day weekends until the end of the year and I always seem to forget the D as an option this time of year; I'm gonna have to make a plan to hit that because it's sure to be much less crowded than the zoo that August/September presents out there. Hitman is correct that now is a good time for those options.

E
everett464
halibuthitman said:

Me and all of the 20 or so guys I talked to were all skunked on the JD last weekend - just sayin.

H
halibuthitman
everett464 said:
Me and all of the 20 or so guys I talked to were all skunked on the JD last weekend - just sayin.

That's actually impossible to believe-

H
halibuthitman
well, unless you were all swinging intruders... I can believe 20 guys got skunked swinging-

S
skunk
halibuthitman said:
well, unless you were all swinging intruders... I can believe 20 guys got skunked swinging-

That's funny. But maybe they just like swinging??? Anyway, the D has been a little slow for 'swingers' but the klickitat I've heard good reports on. I've been swinging as I'm tired of gear and indicators at the moment. I'll switch back for winters.

Reactions: OnTheDrop
H
halibuthitman
I love swinging too, and I get skunked all the time doing it.. I actually "popped" and waked and skated up more steel than swung up this year.. not every one is like flybum... he can swing up a fish in the puddles in the Wal-Mart parking lot Ive heard-

M
Moe
Got into a summer for about 10 seconds today on the upper clack. I was really just seeing if my eggs hold up in the water since it was my first time curing eggs. They work fine apparently lol

• 20131027_212626.jpg
  • 20131028_133936.jpg
E
everett464
halibuthitman said:
That's actually impossible to believe-

To be perfectly fair, I was swinging at times, but also nymphing at others, and the sun was high and bright. Probably, I was too low in the river as well. But, we asked 5 rafts as they passed, and they had not had a good day (no-fish) - add that to the handful of hikers in the same situation and I'll stand by my estimate. The Gear guys on the D were doing well, and I personally got into four fish swinging (on the Lower Deschutes), but the JD was not nice to me. We spun out there specifically because of a glowing recommendation, but ultimately found the river fruitless.

I have never been accused of lying Re a skunk story before - first time for everything, I suppose.

Reactions: halibuthitman
H
halibuthitman
I guess i was calling you a liar... My apologies, it just seems most steelhead fishermen round up one from zero.. Glad to hear the D is fishing-