Steelhead on the Alsea.

M
MackMcT
This will be my first year fishing the Alsea for steelhead.
I think I know enough to catch fish but I don't know enough to keep me out of trouble.
This year's regs are driving me insane. All I can find in the regs is a brief mention of "one single point hook" when bobber fishing for steelhead or salmon.
Am I reading that right? No treble hooks allowed?
I can use single hooks of course but I'll need to change out the trebles on a bunch of lures.
Can somebody please straighten me out on this?

hobster
hobster
Anti snagging regulations, you can use treble hooks on spinners and spoons (lures) but not under a bobber. The regs are driving me crazy too, under statewide regs it says you must have weight 18 inches above the hook but under steelhead/salmon regs it says that is required only if the hook is over 5/8 of an inch. What?
No need to switch out your trebles on lures although i kinda dig the siwash hooks.

M
MackMcT
hobster said:
Anti snagging regulations, you can use treble hooks on spinners and spoons (lures) but not under a bobber. The regs are driving me crazy too, under statewide regs it says you must have weight 18 inches above the hook but under steelhead/salmon regs it says that is required only if the hook is over 5/8 of an inch. What?
No need to switch out your trebles on lures although i kinda dig the siwash hooks.

Thank you. The regs are as clear as mud this year but with a little help we can get through it.

B
Berg03
hobster said:

Almost all of my spinners have a single hook on them. I find i lose less fish on the single point. The treble never get a "good" hook set just hope it closes their mouths shut. Just what I have seen :)

Artwo
Artwo
I'm not seeing where the anti-snagging regulations apply the n the Alsea river. Did I miss that somewhere. Those rules do not apply everywy, just specific locations.

M
MackMcT
Artwo said:
I'm not seeing where the anti-snagging regulations apply the n the Alsea river. Did I miss that somewhere. Those rules do not apply everywy, just specific locations.

Ah yes. The crux of my dilemma. The regs are driving me insane (yeah I know, short drive).
What are the rules one the Alsea. Can we use trebles under bobbers?

Reactions: sapo
hobster
hobster
The regs state you need a single hook under a bobber with bait, so maybe you can run a spinner with treble under a bobber (i know they do this in Europe). I wouldn't risk it, i'd run a single hook under a bobber, no need for a treble anyway. The statewide anti snagging regs are in effect unless there are under exceptions which i don't see in the Alsea. I could be wrong, they could make this a hell of a lot easier. Roger?

troutdude
troutdude
MackMcT said:
The regs are driving me insane (yeah I know, short drive).

:D :D :D

ODFW did a pretty decent job, of clearing up many reg's--and added many new ones too--this year. But yeah; the one in question here: is open for some debate / varying interpretations.

Your safest bet; would be to talk w/ a game warden or contact ODFW directly. And asking for the answer, in writing, would be additionally wise.

Spent many outings on that river, back in the day. You will enjoy it. And as soon as the river, gets back into shape--and sports the right color--GET ON IT! Good luck, and tight lines.

TD

P.S. Welcome to OFF.

M
MackMcT
troutdude said:
:D :D :D

ODFW did a pretty decent job, of clearing up many reg's--and added many new ones too--this year. But yeah; the one in question here: is open for some debate / varying interpretations.

Your safest bet; would be to talk w/ a game warden or contact ODFW directly. And asking for the answer, in writing, would be additionally wise.

Spent many outings on that river, back in the day. You will enjoy it. And as soon as the river, gets back into shape--and sports the right color--GET ON IT! Good luck, and tight lines.

TD

P.S. Welcome to OFF.

Thank you very much. Great advice, I'll do just that.