Steelhead 2023 show OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
jamisonace
jamisonace
hobster said:
This is true, but life is getting busy. I usually try to get out a couple of times in March, April used to be good as well but the runs are so poor right now. The trap counts at our local river are so dismal it is discouraging. I’ve only got one shot to get out in the next three weeks so I’m going for it but that will probably be it for me. Springers are coming!
2 years ago was the worst return ever, now this year is worse. Discouraging describes it well but it's thinking about the long term possibilities of these runs that has me the most discouraged. Hopefully they're right about the Mckenzie springer forecast.
 
hobster
hobster
I totally agree, the long term possibilities are not only discouraging, but mighty depressing. Let’s hope things turn around soon!
 
Creeker
Creeker
This year was my first year putting it all together and really finding fish so I’d been super curious about how people felt about the runs to add some context. I don’t have many fishing buddies so access to reports can be a little tough to come by so I’ve been in the dark. Where can I find more info on annual runs, past and present? I’ve beat the bank pretty hard and managed to hook 12 and land 11 so far on a variety of techniques. Not super crazy but considering it doubles my previous best year’s numbers, I’m pretty happy with it. This year also stood out to me in terms of the size of the fish. Another cool part of this year was getting my mom her first steelhead. Her second trip out and she hooked and landed this fish. Was 12 lbs on the dot when we weighed it. She’s hooked for sure.

4F87A587-F65D-4D64-982D-64672B452DCE.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: FairweatherFisher, Diehard, maxwyatt and 1 other person
hobster
hobster
Had a great day on the river! I hit one of my favorite holes and a few fish were waiting for me. I hooked a fairly large buck which took a while to wake up, but when it did, boy did it! Spit my hook after a nice aerial show. 2 casts later landed this chrome hen, great eggs and meat! Another interesting landing where I dragged her up between some rocks. About 20 minutes later I hooked another buck, which was a tad dark so I decided to release it. Felt like the old days when you could hook several fish in a day. Not sure if I can get back out there anytime soon but if not, what a great way to end the season!

5B7FF0DE-66A7-49D9-A760-3D87FD865572.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Diehard, maxwyatt, jamisonace and 2 others
hobster
hobster
Creeker said:
This year was my first year putting it all together and really finding fish so I’d been super curious about how people felt about the runs to add some context. I don’t have many fishing buddies so access to reports can be a little tough to come by so I’ve been in the dark. Where can I find more info on annual runs, past and present? I’ve beat the bank pretty hard and managed to hook 12 and land 11 so far on a variety of techniques. Not super crazy but considering it doubles my previous best year’s numbers, I’m pretty happy with it. This year also stood out to me in terms of the size of the fish. Another cool part of this year was getting my mom her first steelhead. Her second trip out and she hooked and landed this fish. Was 12 lbs on the dot when we weighed it. She’s hooked for sure.
Nice fish! 11 for 12 is quite an accomplishment, I would be super stoked to have that hook up to landing ratio. It’s been a pretty rough year, but I’m sure you gathered that from this thread.
 
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Creeker said:
This year was my first year putting it all together and really finding fish so I’d been super curious about how people felt about the runs to add some context. I don’t have many fishing buddies so access to reports can be a little tough to come by so I’ve been in the dark. Where can I find more info on annual runs, past and present? I’ve beat the bank pretty hard and managed to hook 12 and land 11 so far on a variety of techniques. Not super crazy but considering it doubles my previous best year’s numbers, I’m pretty happy with it. This year also stood out to me in terms of the size of the fish. Another cool part of this year was getting my mom her first steelhead. Her second trip out and she hooked and landed this fish. Was 12 lbs on the dot when we weighed it. She’s hooked for sure.
You’ve done well considering the poor runs. On good years, multiple hookups in a day are the norm. I know my local rivers very well and it’s been a grind. I’ve fished 3 days total. One day I went 2/3 both natives. Second trip, I fished hard and only caught the me cutthroat. Today my son and I went 3/3 under fantastic water conditions that’s should have yielded 5-6 fish. Keep on doing what you’re doing. On a good year, you’re going to smash it!
 
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
My son and I went out today and got lucky to find 3 fish. One pretty little summer steelhead, a dark big buck in the 12-13 lb class, and a beautiful 10ish lb buck.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Diehard, jamisonace, hobster and 1 other person
Creeker
Creeker
hobster said:
Nice fish! 11 for 12 is quite an accomplishment, I would be super stoked to have that hook up to landing ratio. It’s been a pretty rough year, but I’m sure you gathered that from this thread.
I do a lot of bobber and jig fishing and fish just seemed to get hooked so well and stay pinned. I did look through last year’s steelhead show off and definitely took note of how many more posts it had, upsetting to say the least.
 
hobster
hobster
And last year wasn’t even that good😜I love jigs as well, they are my go to with a bobber. They definitely stay pinned, I love how the jig runs upside down and almost always hooks them solid in the upper jaw. Bobber dogging is a great technique, but I see so many fish get lost with that method
 
  • Like
Reactions: O. mykiss
Creeker
Creeker
O. mykiss said:
You’ve done well considering the poor runs. On good years, multiple hookups in a day are the norm. I know my local rivers very well and it’s been a grind. I’ve fished 3 days total. One day I went 2/3 both natives. Second trip, I fished hard and only caught the me cutthroat. Today my son and I went 3/3 under fantastic water conditions that’s should have yielded 5-6 fish. Keep on doing what you’re doing. On a good year, you’re going to smash it!
I’m excited for what good year would be like then! Happy to have the success I’ve had but it’s sucks to hear about the poor runs. That’s awesome you guys got into em today, nice fish!
 
  • Like
Reactions: O. mykiss
jamisonace
jamisonace
O. mykiss said:
My son and I went out today and got lucky to find 3 fish. One pretty little summer steelhead, a dark big buck in the 12-13 lb class, and a beautiful 10ish lb buck.
Amazing day! Well done. I'd kill for a 3 fish day this year.
 
  • Like
Reactions: O. mykiss
scched
scched
1 for 2 yesterday. Had this gal out of the water just long enough for a quick pic and swam away immediately.

8E67E222-75F3-4485-B8B8-E754DBAC6535.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Diehard, Creeker, O. mykiss and 2 others
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
She’s clearly never missed a meal!
 
  • Like
Reactions: scched
brandon4455
brandon4455
My son and I have gotten into a good amount of fish this winter. Proud dad having him net fish for me all on his own. Wish I had more photos! A couple of our best days I had a dead cellular device. Been fortunate to put as many fish in the net as I have, some days we’ve been skunked some days we’ve made up for 3 skunks in as many hours. Inconsistent but there are fish to be caught

Have hooked fish on pretty much everything. Jigs, worms, beads, spinners, spoons.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C_Run, Creeker, O. mykiss and 1 other person
scched
scched
Great fish!
 
B
Beezer
What was the deal with bobberdogging as relates to the synopsis this year?Was that only for the chetco?
 
Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
Buck on my 6 wt Spey rod, taped 40inches by 21 inches.

B81FEFCC-F553-4D3A-864C-4CB0A5C5EF36.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: O. mykiss, Admin, scched and 1 other person
scched
scched
what a hog; water looks clear behind you, could you seem him laid up prior or was he holding down deep?
 
Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
scched said:
what a hog; water looks clear behind you, could you seem him laid up prior or was he holding down deep?
Nope not at all he was deep and hit a streamer hard
 
  • Like
Reactions: scched
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

Admin
Replies
0
Views
392
Admin
Admin
rogerdodger
Replies
3
Views
2K
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
jamisonace
Replies
38
Views
3K
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
bass
Replies
4
Views
2K
troutdude
troutdude
bass
Replies
1
Views
487
troutdude
troutdude
Top Bottom