Squid for coho

E
eugene1
Went out to the non-selective coho season on the OR coast today. Had hi hopes to get into some of the rebounding silver fishery as we released plenty while getting into the nooks this past month in Southern OR.

Went out of the Siuslaw river into the ocean in my river sled. Nice day with the mellow swell. Buddy (mikeredding) on other boat says to go down so deep in this depth, OK.

Hook into two silvers land one and lost one in a tangle with kicker (kicker won). Also lost big nook at bar hoover fishing, oh well.

While cleaning one silver I find her gut is filled up with...

SQUID
ho3-small.jpg
Fish:
ho1a-small.jpg

Fish were taken on herring but I'd like to match the hatch, any ideas for using squid as bait? Never done it.

Thanks to mikeredding for inspiration to go out today and details while on the ocean, nice to have such a good guy fishing nearby!

Best,

E
eugene1
forgot to say, the ocean coho was fin clipped!

F
flocaster
Nice fish. I was crabbing from the pier on the siuslaw nearly day today & didn't even see a single fish hooked. I did see seals on 2 separate occasions wrestling with & eating salmon though...I'm assuming coho due to size (10-15lbs approximately)

B
bran_man
Not sure about the squid part, but that is a beautiful fat Ho!

J
JeannaJigs
Nice shiny ho! I have never used squid except bottom fishing...but I think of hoochies and squid being similar...could probably just run a little squid behind a dodger. Probably use a threader to put your line through it and then a little magic thread to secure it good. Don't see why it wouldn't work...but I've never used it soooo. Take it with a grain of salt.

S
SeanC
I have only used live squid before. When I used it, I hooked the body with a circle hook. Live squid is absolutely the best bait you could use. Dead squid.... another story. My guess is to hook it the same way but kinda bounce ot a bit for a natural look.

R
rippin fish lips
eugene1 said:
forgot to say, the ocean coho was fin clipped!

Nice fish and nice to see a Clipped coho. Guessing its and umpqua fish the just kept going. I was there yesterday, throwing spinners off the shore. Then went crabbing off the dock around 2, nothing but big females and little males. Some guy pulled up 15 keepers at one time in his 1 pot with his paddle board in the ocean. I heard of lots of fish caught the last 2 weeks. 12 fish for 1 boat, 6 fish in 2 hours for this boat. Dude in this boat caught a 40lber in the ocean near jaws yesterday. I will split gas on the next trip or ne1t open seat!

R
rippin fish lips
flocaster said:
Nice fish. I was crabbing from the pier on the siuslaw nearly day today & didn't even see a single fish hooked. I did see seals on 2 separate occasions wrestling with & eating salmon though...I'm assuming coho due to size (10-15lbs approximately)

Might have seen you on the dock yesterday, we may have even talked. what side of the dock were you crabbing from? I was on the north side of the dock.

E
eugene1
rippin fish lips said:
Nice fish and nice to see a Clipped coho. Guessing its and umpqua fish the just kept going. I was there yesterday, throwing spinners off the shore. Then went crabbing off the dock around 2, nothing but big females and little males. Some guy pulled up 15 keepers at one time in his 1 pot with his paddle board in the ocean. I heard of lots of fish caught the last 2 weeks. 12 fish for 1 boat, 6 fish in 2 hours for this boat. Dude in this boat caught a 40lber in the ocean near jaws yesterday. I will split gas on the next trip or ne1t open seat!

We saw a few hog nooks taken at the jaws Sunday. One small boat had an epic battle for a long while before they landed their fish. It wasn't consistent action so we targeted silvers in the ocean when it was good conditions. Maybe should have stayed at jaws, but you never know.

F
flocaster
rippin fish lips said:
Might have seen you on the dock yesterday, we may have even talked. what side of the dock were you crabbing from? I was on the north side of the dock.

I was out on the front (east) side, near the south end. I was the big guy with the beard & rubber boots throwing his rings way out there further than everyone else. I was crabbing with another forum member, tojiack floatman & he was crabbing off the very north end. Guy in red coat & rolled down hip waders.

R
rippin fish lips
flocaster said:
I was crabbing with another forum member, tojiack floatman & he was crabbing off the very north end. Guy in red coat & rolled down hip waders.

Yeah i'm pretty sure i might have asked you, if you mind if i squeeze in right here. I had 3 traps and was hucking them as far out as i could to avoid everyone else. Had a dog named Kirra, Yellow lab/german sheapord. Had two rods with us that had salmon spinners and i was wearing an oregon hoodie. We had a red cooler too.

F
flocaster
Yeah, I imagine we talked. LOL does your dog look kinda like an extra tall lab, more or less? Really inquisitive? How did you you do? We were there from 7:30 until after 4 & we only got one keeper between us both

L
LuckyStrike
Hoochies are designed to imitate the squids.

My favorite colors for silvers is the purple haze, green spatterback and pink.

We often put little chunks of either herring or squid on one of the double hooks.

E
eugene1
Thanks Lucky strike! I should have updated the post that I figured that out too! I'm an idiot and didn't realize that hoochies are fake squid. I have only used them for kokes so not very familiar with them.

M
mikeredding
eugene1 said:
Thanks to mikeredding for inspiration to go out today and details while on the ocean, nice to have such a good guy fishing nearby!
Not sure how I missed this thread but thanks for the nice comments.