Spin-N-Glo rig

B
bythesea
does anyone have a pic of what your basic spin-n-glo setup looks like and do you use a mooching style rig for your bait,,prawns,eggs."A picture is worth a thousand words" Thank's

Last edited by a moderator:
A
alm21
I don't but have you checked youtube?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Spin N Glo rigs are pretty straight forward. I always use bait, but I know some people just use the lure by its self, with a single hook. I have seen people use mooching setups, but generally its with diver and bait, not to mention you can get some seriously deep hook sets that will lead to excess mortality in native fish. Fishermans choice

Ive used these rigs side drifting in high turbid water before, and have surprisingly done well. I think these presentations would be way to intimidating if the water wasn't turbid. Under plunking scenarios I think they are managable in most water circumstances because the fish is allowed to swim up on the presentation on its own, rather then send it bumbling down into there face.

Use a bead as a bearing source for your spin n glo, this solo bead setup would surface in most all scenarios.

I like 3/0 - 5/0 hooks when I do this, but use what feels right to you. If you used a mooching rig I would drop down to 2/0's
Spin-N-Glo rig

Here is the rig that I have used most, 3/0-5/0 hook with 3 beads and yarn. I will use a whole sandshrimp, and they will take it!

You have to use a minimum of 3 beads when you tie yarn above your hook, I have seen in a Scott Hougan book he will go to as many as 5 beads. If you dont use excess beads the spinning of your lure will draw yarn fibers up through the center of your spin n glo and will stop the spinning action, loosing the purpose.
Spin N Glo rig

S
SALTYFISH
I like to spot fish for summers with one like this and a whole sandshrimp threaded on. Color dosent seem to matter for me.When I spot a fish I put on enough weight as I need, and I set it right in front of them. They come up and chomp on it just about every time.

Reactions: halibuthitman
B
bythesea
I like the simplicity of it but,is this a leader leader hooked to a spreader with a weight.you say you use it side drifting so,don't you have to get it down? This is my first year for steelhead.I'll be bank'en it.so any advice is greatly appriciated.Thanks,

Reactions: n8r1
R
RunWithSasquatch
Its not my go to drift presentation, I reserve it for a few holes, when the water is up.

I am gonna introduce a photo I found online, (being lazy) So I am sorry if it makes things more confusing.

plunking-rig-1.jpg

So for the sliding swivel that attaches to your weight, I would place a bead to protect the knot on the terminating swivel. Also, use a pyramid weight.

24-36'' of leader

10-20" of dropper

Use better swivels.

So as far as turning this rig into a drift presentation, all that you would need to do is get rid of the dropper material, go to a lighter weight, and attatch the slinky or whatever weight you use for drifting directly to the sliding snap swivel.

If this post makes things confusing, let me know and I will remove it, and gather my own photo and information.

F
flytrekker1007
I dont have a pic but if im bank fishing...
-tie a swivel on the main line and leave a tag end for the hollow core lead.
-lead size goes hand in hand with the river flow. quiker flow, use more lead.
-crimp your lead on the tag end.
-tie a hook up to about 3ft of lead and place a little bead on the line.
-place a spin n glo on next.
-make sure the hook size isn't bigger the the width of the wings on the spin n glo
-tie setup on to swivel
the drift should be a little different than when your running a corkie and yarn because every time you feel a bump that corkie is spinning, which is what you want.
This is by far my favorite way to fish for steelhead.