Southern giant

T
Tacomasteelheader
Traveled south today for winters not knowing what to expect and fished most of the day with nothing and wham fish bit a white and red yarn ball with pink corkie. ( we tried everything today ). Dont know the weight until i get home and calculate it. But let him go and got this nice photo. Hope he makes more just like him.

Budy caught one about 11 pounds right after good day. :)))

• image.jpg
Last edited:
Reactions: Admin
B
bran_man
Yes that it's definitely a beautiful fish for sure! Great job on doing the right thing on the grip and grin. Pretty jealous ha ha definitely did not reach my goal of hitting an upper teen or dubb fish this winter. Nice work

F
fishinshawn
Tacomasteelheader said:
Traveled south today for winters not knowing what to expect and fished most of the day with nothing and wham fish bit a white and red yarn ball with pink corkie. ( we tried everything today ). Dont know the weight until i get home and calculate it. But let her go and got this nice photo. Hope he makes more just like him.

Budy caught one about 11 pounds right after good day. :)))

Nice, that looks like a S.Fork of the Coquille fish!

F
FishNinja
Ewwww that looks slimy!

M
MattZ
really solid fish. well done

R
rippin fish lips
Hell of a football! Nice job!

T
Tacomasteelheader
South umpqua.

O
OnTheDrop
Typically, for a steelhead ( obviously it varies as some are much more plump ) about every inch past the 20" mark is a lb.

F
Fish-N-Chips
Absolutely...positively....the most beautiful specimen I have seen this year!! Just a chrome beast(= Nicely done.

T
Tacomasteelheader
38. 1/2 inches long so thats 18.5 pounds. But the girth was huge!!!! I thought it was a springer then i re gained my sences and said hey they dont come on the south i dnt think. But none the less i dont think it was 20 pounds but you never really know with that girth. Sticking with 18 is good for me. :)

E
eugene1
Congrats on that beast man! Really great one.

The South Umpqua does get a small run of springers, 200-500 fish I understand...

Best,

B
billfisher
Tacomasteelheader said:
38. 1/2 inches long so thats 18.5 pounds. But the girth was huge!!!! I thought it was a springer then i re gained my sences and said hey they dont come on the south i dnt think. But none the less i dont think it was 20 pounds but you never really know with that girth. Sticking with 18 is good for me. :)

doesn't really matter, thats a trophy! Keep em coming.

T
Tacomasteelheader
eugene1 said:
Congrats on that beast man! Really great one.

The South Umpqua does get a small run of springers, 200-500 fish I understand...

Best,

It was a steelhead and also from what i understand all the fin clipped springers go to the south. Yes?

E
eugene1
Yeah, it was a nice steelie, I was just mentioning that there is a small number of spring chinook that spawn in the South Umpqua (so getting into a spring chinook isn't out of the question there). Most Umpqua springers go up the North though since there is good clean cool water for them there.

Best,

F
fisherman97
Follow the page fishing_the_world on Instagram if you want to see awesome pictures