So I tried these eggs ....

F
FishSchooler
Welcome to err... "the stinky ol' ship..." Razz!

I saw these eggs in a store before they were in a vacuum bag thing. No air in it whatsoever, and they were a nice dark beef jerky red/brown. They were pretty stiff with the bag on, but I didn't buy it... I have never seen them... Are these kinds of eggs good? They also werent in the fridge... its like a whole skein cured/flattened into a vacuum package...

A
ArcticAmoeba
I don't think that a drak red/brown, beef jerky color is remotely close to "good" as far as cured eggs go. You can surely go with some darker bait dyes, like orange ends up being a kind of light brown almost. But I wouldn't fish 'em especially for winters...Yarn will go farther than those I have a feeling. I get a lot of really spooky fish on yarn. When they won't hit my bait, I ditch those tactics, and get a 1 inch piece of light colored yarn goin.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
I don't think that a drak red/brown, beef jerky color is remotely close to "good" as far as cured eggs go. You can surely go with some darker bait dyes, like orange ends up being a kind of light brown almost. But I wouldn't fish 'em especially for winters...Yarn will go farther than those I have a feeling. I get a lot of really spooky fish on yarn. When they won't hit my bait, I ditch those tactics, and get a 1 inch piece of light colored yarn goin.

Do you know what the eggs are like in these weird vacuum packages?

A
ArcticAmoeba
FishSchooler said:
Do you know what the eggs are like in these weird vacuum packages?

They are a bit better than your run of the mill plastic container slop variety, but they are a bit soupy, maybe two casts instead of one! Haha. Trust me man, they are not at all high quality. Sorry to say it, but they just aren't. I'm serious about the yarn thing though. You might surprise your self.

But uh, the vaccuum job is what makes those puppies seem firmer.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
They are a bit better than your run of the mill plastic container slop variety, but they are a bit soupy, maybe two casts instead of one! Haha. Trust me man, they are not at all high quality. Sorry to say it, but they just aren't. I'm serious about the yarn thing though. You might surprise your self.

But uh, the vaccuum job is what makes those puppies seem firmer.

Ok... to try yarn it is... for the first time... :rolleyes:
No scent? Only scents I have right now are shrimp and crayfish. Maybe egg if that egg gloop (thats the good thing about it being almost 100% liquid) works. ;):lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
I never put any scents on yarn for Winters. I have never needed it I guess. I do happen to run yarn that has a certain smell on it though. After I hook a fish, even if I lose it, I pitch it back out. Or re-use the same leader for two fish. The hormones released from a fish, and its stinky blood will drive the others crazy. We used to throw gills in the pools below two hatcheries on our walk back to the trucks on a couple rivers in WA...Needless to say we could stir up a pod of fish just with that, bucks flashing, and showing dominance displays. It was pretty funny. But blood only works for Steelhead. Don't bleed Salmon you hook in the river. It will most certainly skunk you.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
I never put any scents on yarn for Winters. I have never needed it I guess. I do happen to run yarn that has a certain smell on it though. After I hook a fish, even if I lose it, I pitch it back out. Or re-use the same leader for two fish. The hormones released from a fish, and its stinky blood will drive the others crazy. We used to throw gills in the pools below two hatcheries on our walk back to the trucks on a couple rivers in WA...Needless to say we could stir up a pod of fish just with that, bucks flashing, and showing dominance displays. It was pretty funny. But blood only works for Steelhead. Don't bleed Salmon you hook in the river. It will most certainly skunk you.

When the fall nook season started, a guy with a 35 lber bled his in the river...
Oh well, guess thats another thing to try next time... Argh I still havent gotten one... I feel... left out...

H
Hawk
ArcticAmoeba said:
It's true, Knox is made from deceased livestock, or what have you, and it does not turn off the bite. Some other toughening agents, like another gelatin in particular does not sit well with the feesh. Death is a good thing when yur Steelheadin, not so much for the Salmon, but the Steel are the Crack heads of the ocean, and rivers. Vivacious eaters, and they are pretty dumb to boot... Hook one, and it gets off. It'll be back in 15 for another presentation.

Sometimes when we were catfishin' the turkey/chicken liver wouldn't stay on the hook. I would sprinkle a little alum powder on the liver to firm it up...................................:D:D:D

A
ArcticAmoeba
Ah man...That is some pretty old stuff Hawk! I remember, as a super wee, perhaps 4, or maybe 5...But anyhoo, I was out in the salt for Coho on the Oly Penn, and my dads friend had bait issues...Long story short, he busted out his cat fishin bag, and sprink'd som Al pow on his Prawns. They held together just long enough to get a fish on. Good stuff. Really cool to hear that some people still remember that stuff! I sure do, huntin for mudcats and all when I was in daipers! Haha!