Small flies & old eyes

P
playhooky
It's more than a little challenging these days to tie on whatever little midge that's immediately hatching. I'm looking for suggestions on the best and most user friendly magnification for tying knots while I'm out there in my tube bouncing around. I'm thinking the clip-on's for the bill of my cap but then again not sure if that's the way to go......(?). Just looking for answers from anyone that's been down the trial & error road. All suggestions welcome. Btw.....I wear prescription lenses full time. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423365515.065751.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T
TimberTodd
I bought a pair of 3.5x readers to carry in my pack for tying knots. So far they have worked out well. Just remember to put a lanyard on them incase they fall off.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I totally agree with Todd, get some readers AND a lanyard of some sort to ensure they will be around for more than one trip. Oh, maybe a lanyard for your regular glasses also. I wear bi-focals and still need extra readers to see all the teeny tiny things in the fishing world. :sad: :thumb:

M
moon
I too am experiencing the same problems and at times have found it aggravating. I've hit that age where I need a pill for everything and I mean everything. But enough about that, I can share a couple of things that have helped me and I too enjoy the pleasure of small dry fly's for large trout. Here is my number one suggestion that has made me a little less likely to throw a "snit fit" while battling the eye thangy.....

1.- Daiichi hooks 1110's.... the eleven ten's are over sized eyes and help tremendously. (do not fight this suggestion, just try'em)... they go down to size 26.

2.- Reading glasses, use the dollar store variety until you find the magnification you need. Then spend the money on a quality pair. I found the ones specifically designed for the screen on the pc to be the best for me. I think I bought them at Rite Aide.

3.- The lanyards they sell at the stores suck, buy some tubing from bi-mart or where ever and use that instead.

4.- The weather here in our part of the world also sucks for eye glasses, find a bottle of anti-fog and keep it in your fishing pack.

Also, I'm currently using a clip on the hat thang with magnifiers and a light. We'll see, so far it is working. I also just bought new clipper's with a threader that helps at times.

anyway you are going to have to deal with the extra aggravation and just slow down and adjust.

Good luck brother.
Moon

P
playhooky
Great feedback.....much you very thank! Guess I could hitch a "pup" to my tube so I could bring along my reading glasses, polarized glasses, prescription glasses, clip-on magnification glasses, eye threader......and of course my extendo rubber arm to reach all that stuff when I need it. A word of advice for you young guys and gals.......don't wait til you're eyes are shot to start fly fishing with dinky little trout attractors! Anyway, thanks again to all for your suggestions here. I'm thinking the cheap reading glasses for starters.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I used to stock up at Dollar Store...get 6-10 and they should last at least one season...:thumb:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Poor lighting conditions also hurt. I found a hat that has a very small flashlight built in. With strong readers and the light I can get the best of the evening fishing in.

T
tljack
IMG_0932.jpg There was a time that I really got into tying tiny flies, wet and dry. Tied hundreds of them. Just took out a box and was looking through them. I doubt I could tie them nowadays no less tire one onto my leader.

The attached picture is of a few I tied,

I was amazed at how big of fish could be caught on these. Obviously you can not horse them in like bass fishermen do

Last edited:
P
playhooky
Those are nice tljack.......what I like about tying is that it's very therapeutic and rewarding to me. Oh....did I mention it can also be frustrating at times. But, I like the fact that you can always put it in reverse and make those little corrections when necessary. Yup....small flies catch BIG fish!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426994401.527518.jpg

T
tljack
playhooky said:
Those are nice tljack.......what I like about tying is that it's very therapeutic and rewarding to me. Oh....did I mention it can also be frustrating at times. But, I like the fact that you can always put it in reverse and make those little corrections when necessary. Yup....small flies catch BIG fish!

Tying is therapeutic and very rewarding. It is fun to end up with little boxes filled with fuzz and actually catch fish on them!