Slumming

J
john montana
With carp currently hiding and no real signs of fish in the shallows...I hit the Deschutes to slum with a few trout on Sunday.

-3F3E-4BB3-9A68-33856928C742-5903-0000064C6B89D74D.jpg

I was admittedly pretty rusty and spent more time dealing with a tangled 2 fly nymph rig than I did with my flies actually in the water, but when I could eventually get a decent drift, a few nice redsides obliged. I do love that river. I caught most of my fish on a pink squirrel nymph tied with a peacock herl body, and the fish were found pretty much where I used to find them. The D is a fantastic resource, and just being in the canyon was a nice change of pace. I even ran into a steelhead:

d3524ec470eb1aed49d3b82c465e55da.jpg

Nice day on the water, but I am dying for spring already!

B
bigsteel
thats my kind of slummin,,,nice work John:clap:

S
steelhead_slayer
Way to work it over here in my neck of the woods

Reactions: waco
W
wozniasm
Well, you gatta do something till the carp come back...
Good Jpob!

B
bran_man
Those are some beautiful fish ! Nice work

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
wish i was slummin like that.....those are a couple of beauts

W
waco
Nice fish John! Do you really rather been fishing for carp? :think:

J
john montana
waco said:
Nice fish John! Do you really rather been fishing for carp? :think:

100%! Totally different methods...I just love the sight fishing aspect (and size/fight) of the carp. But it was nice to catch a few trout.

F
FlyBum
Dirty Dirty! So did you bonk that little hatch?

H
halibuthitman
FlyBum said:
Dirty Dirty! So did you bonk that little hatch?
yeah, steelhead eat carp eggs.. 'just sayin'

F
FlyBum
halibuthitman said:
yeah, steelhead eat carp eggs.. 'just sayin'

Those round plastic ones with the hole going through?

J
john montana
I let it go...should have bonked it, but it was early and I didn't want to carry it around all day.

H
halibuthitman
john montana said:
I let it go...should have bonked it, but it was early and I didn't want to carry it around all day.

well.. thats understandable, but next time bonk it and throw it in the weeds or something... "birds gotta eat same as a worm"

F
FlyBum
john montana said:

Looks like some poor genetics are headed back into the gene pool!

J
john montana
Can't bring myself to kill unless I plan on using the animal...symptom of killing too much random crap as a kid in MT! But yeah, I felt bad releasing the fish...it ate at me all day. Should have killed that thing.

F
FlyBum
Don't feel bad, I did that with my first one too. Too much trout fishing always catch and release, and before I knew it......Oh ya, it was a hatch, should have bonked.

No worries!

J
john montana
That isn't my first steelhead by a long stretch...I should have whacked it though.

S
steelhead_slayer
john montana said:
100%! Totally different methods...I just love the sight fishing aspect (and size/fight) of the carp. But it was nice to catch a few trout.

There's sight fishing for big fish over here. Not 20lbs, but still big.

O
OnTheFly
How could anyone bonk such a pretty face. A carp face on the other hand............

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
F
FlyBum
john montana said:
That isn't my first steelhead by a long stretch...I should have whacked it though.

I know, but I was just relaying what I did with my first hatchery fish. Guess it didn't come across as clear as I though.

And like Steelhead_Slayer says, "There's sight fishing for big fish over here!" and it's fun!!