Slip float problem

K
Kage
Went fishing this Friday and Sat, didn't catch a thing but I did manage to slip and fall banging my knee into a boulder. In any case, I was floating jigs but had an issue with the slip float. It was a 1/2 oz float and I was using a 3/8 inline weight with a 1/8 jig but the float kept sitting high on the water. Even after adding a few splitshots it was still sitting about 1/2 an inch below the marks on the float. I checked the setup in different depths but I got the same results. Am I doing something wrong?

M
Modest_Man
I prefer to overload them a bit. For a half ounce float I'll run a half ounce inline weight with a 1/4 ounce jig. That way I can drop down to a 1/8 ounce jig if I so choose and it will still float correctly.

K
Kage
Well that's what I'm confused about though. After adding 3-4 split shots it still sat high in the water. I would have kept adding more but I thought it would have been too much. As long as the float sits properly in the water regardless of how much weight is added it will react fine right? I should have just kept adding to it, I just wasn't sure about how much would have been too much.

M
Modest_Man
If it sinks, you've gone too far.

P
pinstriper
The same thing was happening to me. I have been noticing many of the packages of pre-tied knots I bought have beads with over-sized holes, and the bead goes right over the knot.

I've switched over to those little rubber stopper thingies that come on a wire loop that pulls your line through. But you gotta make sure your rod's guides aren't too small to let the rubber stopper through. I am perpetually on the lookout for beads with small holes.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I've found that the rubber stops work much better with braid than the knotted stops unless you leave long tags on the knots that can be pulled tight when they loosen. Still after a while they start to slip and must be replaced.

S
Steelheader4Life
It all depends on what kind of float you are using. I'm guessing you are using a Beau Mac? They tend to need almost double the weight of what they are made for. In low and slow water I will run a 1 ounce weight for a 1/2 ounce float. My suggestion it to switch over to West Coast Floats. They are perfect when you run the recommended weight. Another solid choice is an Aero Float. Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
K
Kage
The packaging of the floats I bought is Danielson 1/2 oz 14,2 g weight. Now are west coast floats just the style of floats or a brand. I think I'm using floats in that style, I've used it soley for fishing jigs. When I got setup with the floating rig it worked fine, the only difference this time around was the float.

B
Berg03
PM sent

K
Kage
Thanks everyone for your help on such a basic question. I appreciate it and hopefully I'll end up landing a fish.

S
Steelheader4Life
Kage said:
The packaging of the floats I bought is Danielson 1/2 oz 14,2 g weight. Now are west coast floats just the style of floats or a brand. I think I'm using floats in that style, I've used it soley for fishing jigs. When I got setup with the floating rig it worked fine, the only difference this time around was the float.

West coast floats are a brand that is very similar to the Danielson but much better quality. They sit better in the water and will last a lot longer than the Danielson floats will. The aero-floats are low riders with the exact amount of weight recommended. I like them a lot as well.