Slaw

F
fuson22
Nobody wants fish trucked down river over and over making it "easy" like you say. Just that if they're going to have a "trap" then it should be used like it's intended. All everyone is saying is If all those awesome brutes are just gonna be stuck at THAT point of the creek (never recycled, never anything) than they should take the trap out and allow those fish to continue their journey upstream. Better something than the NOTHING at all. That's it, plain an simple. I know I can't speak for everyone but I CAN speak for "Bran-man, Tacomasteelheader, and myself" that we DON'T need it made "easy" as you said. Or fish all but put on our stringers with no challenge or sport involved. That is NOT what anyone needs. I have personally fished with both guy's and they are both great fisherman as well as sportsman that respect these fish and the river's they fish. We don't have ANY problem catching fish lol. Not any better than anyone else, but not any less successful either. We put in our time, fish our asses off, good day's and bad. And don't need any special treatment. It would just be nice to see that hatchery program doin what it is intended to do, or take the trap out and let them through. That's it, simple and plain.

B
bigsteel
fuson22 said:
Nobody wants fish trucked down river over and over making it "easy" like you say. Just that if they're going to have a "trap" then it should be used like it's intended. All everyone is saying is If all those awesome brutes are just gonna be stuck at THAT point of the creek (never recycled, never anything) than they should take the trap out and allow those fish to continue their journey upstream. Better something than the NOTHING at all. That's it, plain an simple. I know I can't speak for everyone but I CAN speak for "Bran-man, Tacomasteelheader, and myself" that we DON'T need it made "easy" as you said. Or fish all but put on our stringers with no challenge or sport involved. That is NOT what anyone needs. I have personally fished with both guy's and they are both great fisherman as well as sportsman that respect these fish and the river's they fish. We don't have ANY problem catching fish lol. Not any better than anyone else, but not any less successful either. We put in our time, fish our asses off, good day's and bad. And don't need any special treatment. It would just be nice to see that hatchery program doin what it is intended to do, or take the trap out and let them through. That's it, simple and plain.
so they run up to the hatchery then get trucked down 1 more time,,how many times do you want the fish trucked down river????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????A hatchery is not there to truck fish all over the river,,you get the shot at the fish when they come in and then once more when they truck them down river.....

E
eugene1
Hey guys, they can't let the hatchery fish get upstream and reproduce with the native fish. That's what the trap is for period, to keep them out of spawning gravel. If they get rid of the trap, they will get rid of hatch fish. Not ODFW's decision it comes from fed agencies like NOAA.

D
DYJ
bigsteel said:
so they run up to the hatchery then get trucked down 1 more time,,how many times do you want the fish trucked down river????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????A hatchery is not there to truck fish all over the river,,you get the shot at the fish when they come in and then once more when they truck them down river.....

Might want to get the question mark key looked at on your key board.... it looks sticky

maybe they should open the creek at the end of the season.... for a snag fest. :lol:

B
bigsteel
DYJ said:
Might want to get the question mark key looked at on your key board.... it looks sticky

maybe they should open the creek at the end of the season.... for a snag fest. :lol:
no,my keyboard is just fine,whats wrong is people making broad statements then not even bothering to answer a question.when you depend on the government for your fish you get what you get and that isn't much.

F
fuson22
Lol, never mind.

F
fuson22
Nobody is making any BROAD statement's... WOW, I can't believe how NOT complex this is... Forget it. This is a "fishing Forum". Not the "complaint box". People were just making their own personal opinion's and suggestions. I don't know EVERYTHING about NOAA or ODFW and the plans and programs. They were just suggestions people had. If you know something we don't, by all means's school us. Otherwise move on. Nobody wants to see bickering and ego trip's when their looking at and for FISHING on a FISHING forum.

D
DYJ

D
DYJ
You were just dying for someone to answer you, so you could say that :lol:

F
fishinshawn
DYJ said:

I think you are right:lol: Recycled fish don't bite well until after they have been live spawned and placed back in the river, then they bite REALLY well. If they haven't spawned, they tend to run straight back to the trap, or stray to other areas they shouldn't be in.

What the OP is describing is one of the main downfalls to a local broodstock program. The fish tend to shoot up in high water in a couple of spurts and then the season is done. You end up with this same scenario where 500 fish are sitting near a trap in areas anglers can't target them. Some ways to deal with that would be to put a barrier (trap) in at the creek mouth. Let them take the fish they need for the hatchery program and then don't let any fish in the creek. Our hatcheries aren't perfect, but they are getting better. They used to do scatter planting all up and down the rivers, but that led to more straying....

B
bigsteel
DYJ said:
yes i have been waiting years to say that:rolleyes:

B
bigsteel
fishinshawn said:
I think you are right:lol: Recycled fish don't bite well until after they have been live spawned and placed back in the river, then they bite REALLY well. If they haven't spawned, they tend to run straight back to the trap, or stray to other areas they shouldn't be in.

What the OP is describing is one of the main downfalls to a local broodstock program. The fish tend to shoot up in high water in a couple of spurts and then the season is done. You end up with this same scenario where 500 fish are sitting near a trap in areas anglers can't target them. Some ways to deal with that would be to put a barrier (trap) in at the creek mouth. Let them take the fish they need for the hatchery program and then don't let any fish in the creek. Our hatcheries aren't perfect, but they are getting better. They used to do scatter planting all up and down the rivers, but that led to more straying....
yes,lets spend a ton more money that we dont have on a barrier that allows anglers to catch old recycled steelhead,amazing theories therre.

F
fishinshawn
bigsteel said:
yes,lets spend a ton more money that we dont have on a barrier that allows anglers to catch old recycled steelhead,amazing theories therre.
thats not what I said.

D
DYJ
....again this thread was just opinions of different anglers on what's goin on. No ones claiming to have the perfect solution. How would you fix it, smart guy?

B
bigsteel
DYJ said:
....again this thread was just opinions of different anglers on what's goin on. No ones claiming to have the perfect solution. How would you fix it, smart guy?
well for starters i wouldnt waste money recycling old worn out fish.this is what you get when you depend on the government for your fish,i have no use for hatcheries.

F
fishinshawn
bigsteel said:
well for starters i wouldnt waste money recycling old worn out fish.this is what you get when you depend on the government for your fish,i have no use for hatcheries.

If it wasn't for the government and hatchery programs you wouldn't be fishing at all. Additionally, you have apparently not spent much time around hatcheries or fish traps even. Often times the fish are chrome bright when they enter the trap or hatchery during a high water event. Of course in march there going to be loads of "worn out" winters, and just because you don't like fishing for them doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.

You sound like a typical NFS fly angler, wants nothing but solitude and catch and release fishing. Keep on fishing for all those cut throat and rainbows, but don't come and bash others for wanting steelhead to take home.

B
bigsteel
fishinshawn said:
If it wasn't for the government and hatchery programs you wouldn't be fishing at all. Additionally, you have apparently not spent much time around hatcheries or fish traps even. Often times the fish are chrome bright when they enter the trap or hatchery during a high water event. Of course in march there going to be loads of "worn out" winters, and just because you don't like fishing for them doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.

You sound like a typical NFS fly angler, wants nothing but solitude and catch and release fishing. Keep on fishing for all those cut throat and rainbows, but don't come and bash others for wanting steelhead to take home.
sorry,my angling does not rely on government provided hatchery fish.I never bashed ANYONE who wants to take a fish home,so get off that argument.you fellas sound like a bunch of whiny children as if you never get a shot at these fish,ah hell lets truck em up and down river,lets build a trap,lets do this and that..its all a bunch of ********,,,,,how bout we just let people who need a second shot at them fish for them in the hatchery pens,,,no cost to anyone any would serve an actual purpose.

You sound like a typical hatchery apologist,wants rivers full of zombie clone fish no matter the cost.

Last edited:
D
DYJ
So you have no use for hatcheries, you made that clear by all your passive aggressive posts. So why even jump off that high horse and participate in a thread about hatchery fish, if the only thing you have to add is that you have no use for hatcheries? Then make comments insinuating that all of our angling relies on government hand outs.

C'mon admit it, your trolling... but not for fish. ;)

Last edited:
F
fishinshawn
bigsteel said:
sorry,my angling does not rely on government provided hatchery fish.I never bashed ANYONE who wants to take a fish home,so get off that argument.you fellas sound like a bunch of whiny children as if you never get a shot at these fish,ah hell lets truck em up and down river,lets build a trap,lets do this and that..its all a bunch of ********,,,,,how bout we just let people who need a second shot at them fish for them in the hatchery pens,,,no cost to anyone any would serve an actual purpose.

You sound like a typical hatchery apologist,wants rivers full of zombie clone fish no matter the cost.

There already is a trap, I suggested moving it to the mouth so that the fish couldn't sit in the creek inaccessible to anglers. Those fish WILL spawn if not removed from the system. IMO it would be better to allow anglers to harvest them, then to let them spawn in the wild. You don't have to truck them anywhere, milk them and then release them back in the mainstream. They will hangout and feed, then go back downstream to the ocean.