Slaw float 10/29

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
took my kayak for a pedal/float from Mapleton to Florence today, last sunny day before, fingers crossed, several days of rain...not much going on up above Tiernan, some boats fishing B&E but not many splashes near shore for them to chase, no fish hooked while I passed by...below Tiernan there were more near shore jumping but almost no thick (king) arches on the sonar...no herring today, just spinners and Apex lures...getting close to Cushman, looking like a skunk day, didn't see any fish caught by other boats and then as I was preparing to change spinners, fish on (medium pink bell spinner), nice strong fish, first few flashes had me thinking it might be a small king but after some serious tail dancing near the kayak, it was clearly a coho and worth using my last tag space for the river, it made 2 runs and more jumps as I tried to net it, I kept firm during the acrobatics but still kept expecting the spinner to come loose and hit me in the head...:D

then it went under the kayak just for fun but she was all worn out by then and ready for the net...ended up being a nice shiny hen that was almost 29"....

I didn't see much on the sonar from Cushman down to Florence launch but pulled various color spinners the whole way hoping to add either a jack or king, but alas, not today...cheers, roger

Reactions: Admin
E
eugene1
Great coho, roger!

Glad to see you are still chasing the chrome on the lower slaw. Don't give up yet for kings...

Best,

B
Bgunder
Nice fish!I still need to get that second coho on my tag. I'm also crossing my fingers for some good rain soon.

B
brewer
That is some bright chrome, looks like you are getting it dialed in. Those Ho's love pink spinners.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good for you, sir! :thumb: You are becoming quite the exemplary fisherman these days. :worthy: Great post, too.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
with so much fish in the freezer, we decided to can a pressure cooker load of fillet pieces from this fish, 5 half pints and 7 quarter pints, gives me a chance to try some jars with liquid smoke and Cajun seasoning...plus some plain coho jars to give my sister for xmas...man catching those coho is a blast, especially being at water level where you get splashed during the fun..

M
mikeredding
Right on. Now get over to Siltcoos and drag some plugs for the other tag spots.