Siuslaw sturgeon

M
mikeredding
Just curious if anyone on here has ever caught a sturgeon on the siuslaw?
I know they are there from reading catch records by ODFW and I had one jump about 10' from the boat last week near the 29 marker

F
flocaster
Back in the late 80's and early 90's my grandfather used to sturgeon fish on the Siuslaw. Never caught any huge ones but he did have success from what I've been told. I don't know if there is any truth to it or if the river bottom is anywhere near the same now but he liked to fish a deeper hole that was under where the big high tension power lines cross the river below cushman. Not sure if that is of any use to you but it may be a spot to check out

G
grampa ron
About 20 yrs ago there was a guy that caught an oversize Sturgeon there. He brought it to the Cushman store and got it up on the dock and took a picture. He was eventually ticketed for miss handling the fish.

F
flocaster
grampa ron said:
About 20 yrs ago there was a guy that caught an oversize Sturgeon there. He brought it to the Cushman store and got it up on the dock and took a picture. He was eventually ticketed for miss handling the fish.

I hope that wasn't him lol! I REALLY doubt it though, he would have known a lot better

jamisonace
jamisonace
I recently heard that the big fish marked on the bottom below 101 bridge are sturgeon that are always there.

Casting Call
Casting Call
flocaster said:
Back in the late 80's and early 90's my grandfather used to sturgeon fish on the Siuslaw. Never caught any huge ones but he did have success from what I've been told. I don't know if there is any truth to it or if the river bottom is anywhere near the same now but he liked to fish a deeper hole that was under where the big high tension power lines cross the river below cushman. Not sure if that is of any use to you but it may be a spot to check out
Theire are a few fisherpeeps will tell you that deep holes under high tension is a good place to fish. Even if the wires over head or cable under river crossing. I have caught many sturgeon and strippers near the EMF field of such wires. The S.F. Delta cable crossings were my go to fishing holes. Another spot was warmer water discharge water. I must belive that Eugene1 or BASS must of had the same experiance. How about any of you out there? Tony

E
eugene1
I know stripers in the SF delta do like the pump water output.

Not sure about the powerline thing as I have not tried that. Makes some sense though as fish have an electromagnetic sensory ability. Not sure if they would like it or leave it around powerlines though.

Deep holes are the goto for sturgies down here though, so seems like a good place to try.

Best,

Casting Call said:
Theire are a few fisherpeeps will tell you that deep holes under high tension is a good place to fish. Even if the wires over head or cable under river crossing. I have caught many sturgeon and strippers near the EMF field of such wires. The S.F. Delta cable crossings were my go to fishing holes. Another spot was warmer water discharge water. I must belive that Eugene1 or BASS must of had the same experiance. How about any of you out there? Tony

F
flocaster
From what I understand there is also a deep hole in the neighborhood of 50 feet in the vicinity of the marker buoy down stream of the coast guard station. Was salmon fishing with a friend in the bay a few years ago and I noticed it in the fish finder and have been thinking about dropping a crab pot in there for ever since lol

It's just south of this point https://www.google.com/maps/@44.004918,-124.1261895,390m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited:
M
mikeredding
flocaster said:
From what I understand there is also a deep hole in the neighborhood of 50 feet in the vicinity of the marker buoy down stream of the coast guard station. Was salmon fishing with a friend in the bay a few years ago and I noticed it in the fish finder and have been thinking about dropping a crab pot in there for ever since lol

It's just south of this point https://www.google.com/maps/@44.004918,-124.1261895,390m/data=!3m1!1e3
I know the hole you are talking about. I dropped a pot in there twice now and the crab are almost non-existent in the. Way too much current I think.

M
mikeredding
Siuslaw sturgeon

Not really interested in fishing for them just mostly curious if anyone has done it and had success.

bass
bass
Casting Call said:

Definitely a believer in warmwater discharge when you can find it. In Pittsburgh there was a spot like that which was packed with fish all winter long. Never really fished under high power lines. I will have to add that to my list of things to try. Thanks for that tip!

F
flocaster
bass said:
Definitely a believer in warmwater discharge when you can find it. In Pittsburgh there was a spot like that which was packed with fish all winter long. Never really fished under high power lines. I will have to add that to my list of things to try. Thanks for that tip!

I can't wait to hear how that works out

Casting Call
Casting Call
bass said:
Don't forget under water cable crossings. Tony

B
bigboy70
I've noticed in lakes or rivers with power lines overhead have been hot spots for me as long as I can remember!

F
flocaster
Sounds like my Grandpa's old trick seems to have a fair bit of validity to it lol

J
Jdangler xD
flocaster said:
Sounds like my Grandpa's old trick seems to have a fair bit of validity to it lol
Very interesting. Ima keep an eye out for this

F
flocaster
We should try out my Gramps old hole when I get my kayak. The siuslaw is pretty mellow unless its been raining hard. As long as we run dune flags on the yaks so the guys in the bigger boats know were there it should be cake

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
flocaster said:
We should try out my Gramps old hole when I get my kayak. The siuslaw is pretty mellow unless its been raining hard. As long as we run dune flags on the yaks so the guys in the bigger boats know were there it should be cake

I'm out in my kayak all the time on the Slaw during the salmon run circus, orange dune flag always plus a rear white navigation light (especially at sunrise) no concerns with other boats, they are great around kayaks. the folks I feel sorry for are those out in smaller normal boats and drift boats, they get bounced all over the place by bigger boats going by too close...

F
flocaster
rogerdodger said:
I'm out in my kayak all the time on the Slaw during the salmon run circus, orange dune flag always plus a rear white navigation light (especially at sunrise) no concerns with other boats, they are great around kayaks. the folks I feel sorry for are those out in smaller normal boats and drift boats, they get bounced all over the place by bigger boats going by too close...

Glad hear there at least a few guys in the big horsepower crowd that show some respect to the kayak guys! Hopefully I'll see you out there!

M
mosd
I know of a few spots there on the slaw. A few years back a buddy of mine was fishing under the train truss there on the slaw and got spooled by a oversized one. But they spent all day looking for em. There in there if ya can find em. If i was to try it, id start at marker 29 i believe? There where the north fork dumps in. Nice deep hole there on south side plus it recieves current from the north, main and that marshy delta across from cushman