Siuslaw/Lake Creek steelhead

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
hobster said:
Wait till tomorrow, gonna be in the 20's! Never too cold for steelheading :)
I fished trout openers camping when it was in the mid teens, coldest I ever was at Crowley Lake in the back of my truck with a sleeping bag rated well above freezing! I was going to spend New Years Eve camping at Spinnreel and fishing 2 days but I am getting old and spoiled!

hobster
hobster
killigan said:
Went and spent some free time on Lake Creek today with no success, but water conditions are looking good. Only a few boats floating Lake Creek and a small amount of bank anglers. I mention "small" because Whittaker stretch I counted at least 8 boats and about 13+ cars along Austa Rd, so I moved on to Lake Creek. Fished Whittaker stretch on the way home with no luck as well, but had a chance to say hi to hobster while leaving.

Tight lines,
killigan

They are there, keep at it! Thanks for saying hi, i'll look for you on the river next time:)

GaryP1958 said:
I fished trout openers camping when it was in the mid teens, coldest I ever was at Crowley Lake in the back of my truck with a sleeping bag rated well above freezing! I was going to spend New Years Eve camping at Spinnreel and fishing 2 days but I am getting old and spoiled!

That's pretty hardcore man, i have a buddy who camps out when he skis Willamette Pass sometimes. Crazy! I, too, am getting old and spoiled :D

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Firewood and a few bottles of single malt scotch do help! The problem up here in the winter is the short days 15 hours of dark make for a lot time sleeping!

K
killigan
GaryP1958 said:
Dont forget the 16 miles from Wildcat to Swisshome its a narrow gravel road but some nice holes in there! The next week looks awesome for steelhead all over!

As a young boy in the mid to late 90's, I use to fish that stretch when my father had a drift boat. We would only go above the forks to the first boat ramp if I remember correctly, then float down to the Tide boat ramp (back when the Tide store was still open). Some great spots if you have a drift boat. I have never really fished the rest of that stretch, just by Wildcat Creek.
My first fishing trip on the Siuslaw, Fall of 1990, was with my father and a guide named Gary, who some of you may have known. His office the "power-line hole" is named after him now. Learned a lot during the trip and have been using it ever since.
I will have to make the trip down the windy 16 mile stretch and see if anyone is home in a few fishy spots.:D

Thanks for the tip!

killigan

Reactions: rogerdodger