Siuslaw/Lake Creek steelhead

K
killigan
Greetings fellow anglers,

I plan on making a visit to the Siuslaw & Lake Creek tomorrow to see the current conditions, possibly get a line wet if temptation gives way. I was curious if anyone has been fishing either of these two systems yet for steelhead? Knowing that the river levels have been "not fishable" for the most part this December; river levels have been dropping the last four days and I was hoping someone has been out trying for some "steel".

My plan of action tomorrow is to start at Mapleton and drive up the 36 to Deadwood, stopping at my favorite spots along the way to see how everything is looking. On the way home taking the 126 east, I'm going to stop and scout out the Whitaker to Wildcat Creek stretch.
I will post some pictures of what I see for those who are interested. Thanks in advance for any information.

Tight lines,
killigan

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have not been yet but your prospects should be pretty good. I look forward to your report.

Thx

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, I also think the water levels are looking real good this week, my plan is to give it a try Tuesday. roger

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I was across from the Whitaker outlet today one good strike, saw boaters land 2. Its crowded already 6 boats and most bank spots taken, had a guy walk up and and descend down the bank 40 feet below me and plop his 3 oz rig right out where my bait was! He is there all the time he drives a Jeep with a topper. I am a pretty easy going guy but damn no class from some people. Also going Westbound turning into Whittaker Creek some jackass 2 cars back wasn't watching the road and almost rear ended the guy behind me then went into oncoming traffic and barely avoided a head on collission right next to me! Yes I am pouring a drink!:thumb:

jamisonace
jamisonace
I should have said hi. I went by that bank spot around 11.

GaryP1958 said:
I was across from the Whitaker outlet today one good strike, saw boaters land 2. Its crowded already 6 boats and most bank spots taken, had a guy walk up and and descend down the bank 40 feet below me and plop his 3 oz rig right out where my bait was! He is there all the time he drives a Jeep with a topper. I am a pretty easy going guy but damn no class from some people. Also going Westbound turning into Whittaker Creek some jackass 2 cars back wasn't watching the road and almost rear ended the guy behind me then went into oncoming traffic and barely avoided a head on collission right next to me! Yes I am pouring a drink!:thumb:

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
You arent the Jeep guy? Stop by I drive the F150. Theres fish but I think next time I will take the drive over to Swisshome a lot of good water down there I bet a lot of fish still moving up.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm not the jeep guy. I try not to an a-hole in person :)

I was on my way to the coast and drove by to check things out.

GaryP1958 said:
You arent the Jeep guy? Stop by I drive the F150. Theres fish but I think next time I will take the drive over to Swisshome a lot of good water down there I bet a lot of fish still moving up.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Its all good I try to get along with everyone, hell I grew up in Socal on Albacore boats with 40 guys elbow to elbow with 20 fish on, teaches you humility! If the guy just said wheres your line at and can I squeeze in some how I would have worked around it but seriously the guy was rude and acted like he owns that spot and its only a small piece of bank! He js always there I guess he owns the spot!:yikes:

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Anyway the water looks good and Whitaker Creek is very clear didn't see any fish under the bridge 3 foot visibility in the Slaw, the best spots to fish are going over to the campground and walk in the other side some better holding water when the water is high now! DSCN0754.jpgDSCN0753.jpgDSCN0755.jpgDSCN0757.jpg

K
killigan
Hi everyone,

After concluding my recon adventure to the Siuslaw/Lake Creek today, it became very apparent that the beginning of steelhead fishing has arrived. First stop was a look see at the Mapleton public dock.

On the way home I stopped at the Whitaker Creek to Wildcat Creek stretch and had a look at the conditions.
IMG_1458.jpg
During my visit I did see a fish of unknown species hooked and almost landed, after about a minute of fighting the hook came out. No jumping or dancing on the water, so I was leaning to the side of a late Chinook hook-up, but I can't be certain. Ended up taking a good picture of the fight with a tail splash included, but I don't know the angler, so I'm not going to post the picture. If you hooked a fish today on the Slaw/Lake Creek I got a few good shots of your fight. Broke both me and my 7 year old son's heart when it came unhooked. We both were rooting for you, my son a tad bit more since he wanted to see his first big fish taken out of an Oregon river.
I did fish for about 40 minutes on Lake Creek, which had decent looking water conditions and few anglers. Most of the anglers and boats I saw today were all up in the Whitaker stretch.

With all of this information in hand as I drove home, I decided that at these levels/conditions, it's time to start giving it a go when I have the time.

Tight lines,
killigan

hobster
hobster
Post the pic :thumb:

K
killigan
hobster said:
Post the pic :thumb:

As it turns out, we all live in a small world and the angler I observed the fish hook-up today is an OFF member! :) So, I will post a few of the pictures I took. Thanks hobster!

killigan

IMG_1453.jpgIMG_1454.jpgIMG_1456.jpg

hobster
hobster
Thanks man, cool shots! Small world indeed, glad you got my dog in there as well:) Most popular spot on the river, so i'm not too worried about giving it away. Next time i'll bring a net :lol:

P
Paul Smith
Was there yesterday; quite a few boats and many a man fishing from the bank! Saw 3 fish hooked up and 2 landed by boaters, nothing doing for myself though.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hobster said:
Thanks man, cool shots! Small world indeed, glad you got my dog in there as well:) Most popular spot on the river, so i'm not too worried about giving it away. Next time i'll bring a net :lol:

had a great time fishing with hobster on Wednesday and I got to net one for him just after sunrise but unfortunately that was it all day for both of us...

Last edited by a moderator:
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I bet its a bit chilly there at sunrise!:thumb:

hobster
hobster
rogerdodger said:
had a great time fishing with hobster on Wednesday and I got to net one for him just after sunrise but unfortunately that was it all day for both of us...

Thanks for the picture Roger it was a joy to fish with you. Sorry once again we couldn't get you into some steel, next time my friend :thumb:

hobster
hobster
GaryP1958 said:
I bet its a bit chilly there at sunrise!:thumb:

Wait till tomorrow, gonna be in the 20's! Never too cold for steelheading :)

K
killigan
Went and spent some free time on Lake Creek today with no success, but water conditions are looking good. Only a few boats floating Lake Creek and a small amount of bank anglers. I mention "small" because Whittaker stretch I counted at least 8 boats and about 13+ cars along Austa Rd, so I moved on to Lake Creek. Fished Whittaker stretch on the way home with no luck as well, but had a chance to say hi to hobster while leaving.

Tight lines,
killigan

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Dont forget the 16 miles from Wildcat to Swisshome its a narrow gravel road but some nice holes in there! The next week looks awesome for steelhead all over!